Blackberry Priv

Associate
I was so sold on this phone but the reviews have put me off a little bit - Nothing bad but I was hoping for more given the price! In fact, reading the reviews has actually given me a bit of an interest in going for the Blackberry Passport and giving BB10 a try... But I know I'll probably end up regretting that if it really is killed off...

For those that have used BB10 and the Priv... Which would you recommend for somebody deciding on a device? I must admit, I'm not sure what to do at the moment - Even considering Windows 10 on 950/XL or - at the other of the spectrum - a cheap and cheerful Cyanogen device like the Wileyfox. Indecisive or what!

Associate
Sounds like the windows phone hub on steroids.... I'm in

Kinda. If you want to respond to twitter/facebook/texts it still opens the indiviual apps. But if you want to just see and get rid of the notification its really quick.

Incidentally, i moved from WP8.1 to the priv and a replacement for the people hub is all i'm missing

Soldato
For those that have used BB10 and the Priv... Which would you recommend for somebody deciding on a device? !

IMO it all depends on what you value more. If you value apps quite heavily then it would have to be The Priv, easily. However, if you value pure communication over everything else then BB10 is the way to go.

I had my Z10 for 2.5 years and it never missed a beat. Absolutely great phone and the only phone I have zero complaints about... Apps were lacking yes, but for my personal use, it didn't matter. A shortcut to my banks mobile login page did the same thing.

Always here to help people decide and push people to discover BB10... I'm sorry but nothing can even come close to The Hub for ease of use and convenience.

Associate
Reviewed by MKBHD, a little harsh on it? It seems like it has a few good features most android launchers can learn from. Battery life seems poor from how large it is though, can any users confirm you're only seeing around 3.5hours SOT? Scrolling over the physical keys is a nice touch.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
I get 5.5-6 SOT. Battery life is bad in the first few days with the device.

Crap review from MKBHD. So he didn't use the hub, and didn't use the physical keyboard... which are the two primary features of the phone.

Soldato
That seems to be the case with a lot of Android devices recently, I assume Android does a lot of optimising under the surface, even after you've got things going. There were a lot of Nexus 5X and 6P users saying the same.

Crap review from MKBHD. So he didn't use the hub, and didn't use the physical keyboard... which are the two primary features of the phone.
His reviews do seem to be going rather mainstream, not really showing an awful lot and just giving dubbed opinions instead. There's very little depth to his reviews now.

Still, the phone doesn't seem stunning value at the moment, and the fears over the length of time until Marshmallow look real. It's a good phone, and certainly has a place on the market, but it's hard to justify the initial price point - hopefully it will come down in line with most other flagships. Some very real potential, even if only for the Priv 2 at worst.

Associate
That's a fair shout, his reviews are certainly not as in depth lately. Under 10 mins on Blackberry's return to the market with Android is not really doing it justice. It's certainly peaked my interest for the future anyway.

Soldato
its taking me some time to get used to with this being my first dive into android but that is to be expected with any phone.

I have to say that the standby time on this phone is great.

I am having one annoying issue though that I have asked about in the Crackberr forms and nobody seems to have an answer... When I mark emails 'read' in the hub, atleast one of them will always mark themself as 'unread' and this happens about 5 times to the same email. Hopefully an update comes out soon.

*Auto correct was great on BB10 but Priv, not so much. Maybe it is still learning my language like BB10 but auto correct on the PKB semes nonexistent.

Associate
Still getting used to it. Got the hard case for it and missing the stock grippyness. Dropped it in bed more times than i ever did pre-case. Its also leaving small indents where is rests on the edges of the phone, near the buttons.

Still though, i'd rather all that than risk dropping it

Soldato
My brother is interested in this simply due to the hardware keyboard (he never got use to the touchscreen keyboard) and it runs Android. But the price seems a tad high at the moment... hoping for some better deals when it's near Christmas. The rumoured Vienna also caught his interest but he wants to replace his current phone before the new year :p.

Associate

For those, Hxc included, who have come to the Priv from a Passport... Can you please tell me the reasons why you have done so? I still cannot decide between the two but at £395 for the Passport Silver I'm pondering if it represents better value than the £160 more Priv. I appreciate the big difference is Android but from what I understand the Passport supports Android applications perfectly and some of the Android implementations of core BB applications does not work well on Priv... I know waiting for the price to fall is an option but my five year old phone is *really* in need of replacement and I fear if I continue to wait now I'll always be waiting for the latest phone (which, in turn, will stay carry the high price)!

Associate
Hmm... So I went for the Priv. Ordered from BB direct (hoping this means update will be faster and not waiting on carrier)... Really hope it arrives before the weekend!

Soldato
The Priv is good due but not without its bugs. I mainly find there is some lag/slow down in The Hub (This is meant to be fixed in the coming weeks). But there is also a bit of keyboard lag when you use the physical keyboard.

There were quite a few bugs when B10 first hit the scene and BlackBerry squashed them quickly. Bearing in mind that was with their own OS, so let's hope The Priv doesn't take too long to get ironed out.

Associate
The Priv is good due but not without its bugs. I mainly find there is some lag/slow down in The Hub (This is meant to be fixed in the coming weeks). But there is also a bit of keyboard lag when you use the physical keyboard.

There were quite a few bugs when B10 first hit the scene and BlackBerry squashed them quickly. Bearing in mind that was with their own OS, so let's hope The Priv doesn't take too long to get ironed out.

According to reddit last nights software update has already fixed the keyboard lag... Added whatsapp to The Hub as well as general software improvements. Have you tried it yet?

Associate

New update:

http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_...cluding_monthly_security_patch-news-15289.php

Associate
Hmm. Just noticed the UK model doesn't support wireless charging. If I was feeling a tad uneasy about spending so much on a mobile phone it's that bit harder knowing it doesn't even have wireless charging when the US model does. Not impressed.

Back
Top Bottom