• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

A 5080 can still be a good product if they slash its price tier from 1200 back to 700 where it should be.
It be could but they won't. There will still be enough people with money to burn to milk. It will take a major downturn in the world economy to move things I think.

If the 5080FE comes in under £1k and has 4090 performance, I think I might bite. The real sticking point is Vram though. I'm on a 3090, and going from 24 to 16 would just feel very wrong. I game at 4k and VR. VR is the real problem, and will be more going forward with silly high res headsets coming out...

Last edited:
The Hardware Unboxed video comparing the various 90, 80, 70 and 60 class Nvidia GPUs from the last 4 Generations was very interesting.

Certainly according to those trends the 5080 leaked specs will be more cut down than any 80 class card before. However I am pretty sure that Nvidia found out in 40 series that whilst some customers are happy to pay top dollar for the best GPU available, the others are simply not willing to spend over $1000 or £1000 for a second best GPU. Therefore they may have decided to lower the price of the 5080 to around $800-900 i.e. half the 5090 (which could be $1600-2000?) and to cut back the specifications accordingly. If the 5070 is again only 12GB as rumoured, the 5080 will still be the best / cheapest Nvidia card over 12GB for under a grand.

I am more disappointed that the 60 class card will once again only have 8GB VRAM. Even though Nvidia say cache is more important, it is clear that with RTX and Ray Reconstruction plus Frame Generation that more memory is needed at 1440p and 4K.

Last edited:
the analysis doesnt make much sense, price to perf should be compared with last gen upgrade options, unlike the closing argument provided in the video where he is making a value judgement about the supposed gulf between 5090 and a 5080..
also if the rumors are true then nvidia isnt really targeting 4080 users but rather the 5080 is being aimed at users who are currently on a 3080/90 or older platforms
so the price to perf will have to be compared accordingly

the analysis doesnt make much sense, price to perf should be compared with last gen upgrade options, unlike the closing argument provided in the video where he is making a value judgement about the supposed gulf between 5090 and a 5080..
also if the rumors are true then nvidia isnt really targeting 4080 users but rather the 5080 is being aimed at users who are currently on a 3080/90 or older platforms
so the price to perf will have to be compared accordingly
Yeah, I found the video helpful but my personal interpretation (which I wrote above) is not the same as Tim's in the video. The 5080 also has to make sense according to its performance against whatever price the remaining 4090s drop to (although Nvidia is trying to eliminate this aspect by cutting supply of the 4090 and 4080 already).

If 5080 is the same performance as 4090 but costs $800-900 that is still a decent generational uptick as currently you are paying in the best case $1500 for that level of performance, albeit with more VRAM (which you often won't need.) Likewise if the 12GB 5070 is around the performance of the 4080 Super and costs $550-600 instead of $1000 that would also be "ok" although I would still rather have the 16GB of VRAM at that price point.

Last edited:
5080 is looking like a big disappointment if any of the rumours are true. I don't believe a word of MLID so I can only hope the prices are reasonable. Was kinda hoping for a Maxwell like generation with cheaper prices after the big price hikes this gen.

The price will dictate if a disappointment. If it is within 10% or so of say a 4090 and comes in at £799 it will do well.

The price will dictate if a disappointment. If it is within 10% or so of say a 4090 and comes in at £799 it will do well.
It's a more appealing card for those coming from the 3XXX series, but agree that it needs to be priced right if it's not much better than the 4080 Super.

It's never going to be 799 - will be 999 minimum unless it's a 5070 in disguise.

Anyone that’s ruthlessly budgeting / struggling probably shouldn’t be going anywhere near a new high-end graphics card tbh… easy for me to say but £1k can buy a lot of life admin essentials.

You’ve got to budget to have fun, sure, but if I was on hard times, playing games on lower settings would be fine with me…!

These cards are all luxuries in my eyes.

Last edited:
What do you call "big money"?
Sufficient that a couple of grand is neither here nor there. Some will buy on the never never, others crimp and save, many sacrifice saving and pensions for toys. A £2k GPU, if you're being sensible, is a month's disposable income, unless it makes you money. They depreciate quickly, have a relatively short life, as top dog, and can break.

The people I know, who have the biggest debts, also earn the most. Fine whilst your job is good, but there are a lot of apparently successful people sailing very close to the wind ;)

Sufficient that a couple of grand is neither here nor there. Some will buy on the never never, others crimp and save, many sacrifice saving and pensions for toys. A £2k GPU, if you're being sensible, is a month's disposable income, unless it makes you money. They depreciate quickly, have a relatively short life, as top dog, and can break.

The people I know, who have the biggest debts, also earn the most. Fine whilst your job is good, but there are a lot of apparently successful people sailing very close to the wind ;)

There's some huge generalisations happening here based on personal anecdotal evidence.

Last edited:
There's some huge generalisations happening here based on personal anecdotal evidence.
Of course there is, do you think I have the personal financial details of everyone? I'm not a god ;) If you can't see the dire economic situation right now you must be a politician :cry: This is my opinion but you do you, I'm basing my buying decisions on the way I predict things are going, and no, I'm not a fortune teller either :D

Back
Top Bottom