• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

Associate
Personally, I'd love to see an Nvidia GPU generation that made a real push to get the power consumption, heat, noise and size back under control (including at the top end), even if it meant slightly lower performance gains. The 900 series did something similar and sold like hotcakes.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Personally, I'd love to see an Nvidia GPU generation that made a real push to get the power consumption, heat, noise and size back under control (including at the top end), even if it meant slightly lower performance gains. The 900 series did something similar and sold like hotcakes.

To me that's what the 4000 series did. I get better than 3080 Ti performance on my undervolted profile that I routinely see under 100w playing Baldurs Gate 3 maxed out locked at 60fps.

Even playing Horizon Forbiden West I was seeing around 140w on said profile. It's awesome and you hardly hear the fans as result :D

I then have other profile that need 40w or so more for additional performance, but these days hardly use it.

Associate
To me that's what the 4000 series did. I get better than 3080 Ti performance on my undervolted profile that I routinely see under 100w playing Baldurs Gate 3 maxed out locked at 60fps.

Even playing Horizon Forbiden West I was seeing around 140w on said profile. It's awesome and you hardly hear the fans as result :D

I then have other profile that need 40w or so more for additional performance, but these days hardly use it.
Yeah me too. This 4080s runs cooler than the 3080 I had.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato

That's because the card is too much for those games and fps. Once you let it go at its full power, the consumption will rise.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That's because the card is too much for those games and fps. Once you let it go at its full power, the consumption will rise.

Nope. Not the case with HFW. All that happens is you get less fps. But we are talking about a single digit here.

As an example. One of my profiles was using 180w roughly on HFW and was getting more fps than stock.

In the case of BG3, obviously capping fps to 60 is the main reason.

I have yet to see this card use 200w on one of my profiles :D

Soldato
Nope. Not the case with HFW. All that happens is you get less fps. But we are talking about a single digit here.

As an example. One of my profiles was using 180w roughly on HFW and was getting more fps than stock.

In the case of BG3, obviously capping fps to 60 is the main reason.

I have yet to see this card use 200w on one of my profiles :D
You're on 4090?

Last edited:
Associate
yea I have a 2 year old 4080 I've never seen go over like 55 degrees no matter what settings/oc I throw at it.

I love these oversized shrouds tbh. Obviously everyone was expecting the 4000 series to have stiffer cooling requirements, because these cards seem really overbuilt. So I'd vote for them being efficient, even if the bottom of the stack is hyper-underwhelming.

Associate
Associate
yea I have a 2 year old 4080 I've never seen go over like 55 degrees no matter what settings/oc I throw at it.

I love these oversized shrouds tbh. Obviously everyone was expecting the 4000 series to have stiffer cooling requirements, because these cards seem really overbuilt. So I'd vote for them being efficient, even if the bottom of the stack is hyper-underwhelming.
Yep, seems 55C is standard here, this one is the same.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Meh. Rumours keep changing. I stopped going to those websites years ago. In the end we will find out what's what a few weeks before release usually. Going back 6 months usually rumours get it wrong.

Next they will be saying it will work on a single slot cooler...

Soldato
Tilt your phone and it will ;)

Yeah, that card would lose a lot more performance to hit hose numbers obviously :D

Yup, basically the good power numbers are due to the card's ability to regulate power consumption.
More important, GTX970 was around 150w. 4080 (basically the x70 of the series), is about double that. If I get it to half the power limit to match gtx970 tdp, it loses about half the performance :)) (or it did in some scenarios, if I remember correctly).

It will be tough for blackwell to improve upon this. Maybe overspec the cooler less, but still... I don't see power consumption going down.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom