• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

Man of Honour
Guy was BS'ing you to the Moon, knows nothing. Only way they get to impress non-techies I suppose & get a kick out of it.

I can't speak as to what Curry's has on their systems i.e. internal placeholders, but there is nothing in the pipeline yet. I can see through work what is available to companies like Zoostorm, VIP Computers, etc. etc.

Associate

2 possibilities:
1. 4090 > 5080
2. US might revise the TPP limit (for China embargo) before rtx 50 launch

Last edited:
Soldato

2 possibilities:
1. 4090 > 5080
2. US might revise the TPP limit (for China embargo) before rtx 50 launch
I was also wondering how they could make a 5090D when the 4090D is on the limit allowed to be sold to China. Why would US revise it?

Associate
Took me a while to find the thread :p

Soo, more power draw. My theory is Nvidia can see the recent upgrades to the GPU cooling and are capitalising on that to eke out more speed. I'd prefer less power tbh. We'll see what the size of these beasts will be. For me it's 5070 220W for 1440p or 5080 350W if I'm getting 4K OLED (want but also argh). I would also need the Noctua GPU or a bigger case.

I might also not upgrade and be sensible for 2 years, as there isn't really killer games for me tbh, wait for OLED to come down, etc. The 4070 is fine tbh, if anything we need more games that give us the excuse to upgrade.

Caporegime
Saw this coming. My last upgrade last year was to a 1000 Watt PSU and a bigger case with 140mm fans, not because I have some uber dual GPU custom water-cooled behemoth... it was because I saw this coming. Not that I'm some kind of psychic or something mind you. it's just inevitable in the GPU war between AMD and Nvidia that power efficiency would be sacrificed at the altar of ultimate speed.

Currently debating wheter to pick up a used 4090 as people sell them in preparation for launch, or to wait and get something like a 5080 which hopefully won't be as bad as the 4080 was this generation.

Last edited:
Associate
Saw this coming. My last upgrade last year was to a 1000 Watt PSU and a bigger case with 140mm fans, not because I have some uber dual GPU custom water-cooled behemoth... it was because I saw this coming. Not that I'm some kind of psychic or something mind you. it's just inevitable in the GPU war between AMD and Nvidia that power efficiency would be sacrificed at the altar of ultimate speed.

Currently debating wheter to pick up a used 4090 as people sell them in preparation for launch, or to wait and get something like a 5080 which hopefully won't be as bad as the 4080 was this generation.
Yep Sir, you Are indeed psychic, and thats Hell of a lot better then psychotic :D

Soldato
Took me a while to find the thread :p

Soo, more power draw. My theory is Nvidia can see the recent upgrades to the GPU cooling and are capitalising on that to eke out more speed. I'd prefer less power tbh. We'll see what the size of these beasts will be. For me it's 5070 220W for 1440p or 5080 350W if I'm getting 4K OLED (want but also argh). I would also need the Noctua GPU or a bigger case.

I might also not upgrade and be sensible for 2 years, as there isn't really killer games for me tbh, wait for OLED to come down, etc. The 4070 is fine tbh, if anything we need more games that give us the excuse to upgrade.

Hopefully these undervolt just as well as 4000 series does then.

Soldato
And the mad rush to use ever more power continues.
I guess while GPUs are crazily parallel, new nodes are too expensive for consumer GPUs.
Efficiency really suffers for that last 10% (or sometimes only 5%) of performance.
I think it is only a matter of time until governments step in, as otherwise halo cards will end up using a KW all by themselves.

About the only thin holding them back is that cooling becomes plus PSUs must be ready - didn't mention PSU manufacturers rubbing their hands in glee earlier in this thread!?
You still need power to get the performance going, you can't beat physics.

If we go down the route or limiting, then lets start with cars. Why you need more than 65 or perhaps 95hp on your vehicle? Why waste energy and resources on your phone, computer, house, clothes, etc? Use some made-up limit and call it "all you need" and have the government impose it! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm all for living frugally!
Crazy cars which encourage idiots to accelerate like crazy until they need to brake again should certainly be limited. Speed limits do some of that provided they are enforced, but really motor vehicles should have black boxes as even the language of calling collisions "accidents" is crazy.

And GPUs certainly well get limited if they keep increasing their power usage all the time. With nodes increasing in price per mm², running smaller dies faster is one approach.

Soldato
You still need power to get the performance going, you can't beat physics.

If we go down the route or limiting, then lets start with cars. Why you need more than 65 or perhaps 95hp on your vehicle? Why waste energy and resources on your phone, computer, house, clothes, etc? Use some made-up limit and call it "all you need" and have the government impose it! :)
Indeed the biggest difference the average person can make is through giving up their car.

Anyone who claims to care about the environment but owns a car is a hypocrite, simple as that.

Man of Honour
Indeed the biggest difference the average person can make is through giving up their car.

Anyone who claims to care about the environment but owns a car is a hypocrite, simple as that.

Modern day of life hasn't really made that a choice for most people regardless of whether they care about the environment or not.

Soldato
I'm all for living frugally!
Crazy cars which encourage idiots to accelerate like crazy until they need to brake again should certainly be limited. Speed limits do some of that provided they are enforced, but really motor vehicles should have black boxes as even the language of calling collisions "accidents" is crazy.

And GPUs certainly well get limited if they keep increasing their power usage all the time. With nodes increasing in price per mm², running smaller dies faster is one approach.

The should start banning crypto, AI, data centers, electric vehicles in current form, electric bikes, etc. And like I've said, phones, computers in general, as we have too much already (apparently). etc... But how you set the limit?

Last edited:
Soldato

Well, my car probably is consuming and polluting less than your average SUV American driven car. I also don't do fast fashion and be that much of a consumer in general...
I have a 90hp (or at least it was new) vehicle that I drive like an ol' grandpa while keeping the racing habits to virtual worlds. I could give up on it, but... the state/country has to improve a lot of stuff beforehand.

Last edited:
Soldato
The should start banning crypto, AI, data centers, electric vehicles in current form, electric bikes, etc. And like I've said, phones, computers in general, etc... But how you set the limit?
The planet will self regulate as it always has done over billions of years, the only thing I factor in when it comes to energy consumption is the personal costs.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The should start banning crypto, AI, data centers, electric vehicles in current form, electric bikes, etc. And like I've said, phones, computers in general, as we have too much already (apparently). etc... But how you set the limit?

It's hard to realise the scale of these crypto mining operations. Until you see something like this:

The scale of these operations is unimaginable. All those servers crunching numbers for no other reason than to try and generate money. It's crazy.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's hard to realise the scale of these crypto mining operations. Until you see something like this:

The scale of these operations is unimaginable. All those servers crunching numbers for no other reason than to try and generate money. It's crazy.
eventually the governments will clamp down on crypto unless they can control it. If you can't control the money supply then you cant control society in general. Its just a matter of time.

Associate
eventually the governments will clamp down on crypto unless they can control it. If you can't control the money supply then you cant control society in general. Its just a matter of time.
This is not much different from a lot of "AI" projects these days. Especially that many of these are even more useless than crypto for the average person, or even malicious (designed to steal our data and learn from it to better control our purchase habits etc.). Gpt is relatively useful but a lot of other aren't at all and yet they still use huge amounts of electricity.

Back
Top Bottom