• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

It would add the cost of a new PSU to the price of the card. It's only a tiny number of PSUs, none of which are even on shelves yet, that have two 16 pin ports.
No, it wouldn't. Power use doesn't increase but splits amongst 2 plugs, so they would just include in the box proper splitter and aftermarket ones would be easily available too. It's really a non issue.

No, it wouldn't. Power use doesn't increase but splits amongst 2 plugs, so they would just include in the box proper splitter and aftermarket ones would be easily available too. It's really a non issue.
I guess if you could run a cable from a single port on the PSU into two ports on the GPU with a splitter, that wouldn't be a big deal. But I do wonder what's going on with the PSUs with two ports.

I wonder how many people even have PCIe5 PSUs? Most people I know with 4090s are still using the "squid" adapter to connect their old 8-pin cables.

I guess if you could run a cable from a single port on the PSU into two ports on the GPU with a splitter, that wouldn't be a big deal. But I do wonder what's going on with the PSUs with two ports.
I wouldn't use a splitter from the PSU single 16 pin, As that just putting all the power over a single 16 pin connector again (Just it be at the PSU side )

Would use the PSU 16 pin for one cable and multi 8 pin pci express connectors for the other 16 pin cable

Last edited:
I really don’t want two 16 pins especially as I’m still using a Corsair AX1600i which doesn’t have a 16 pin connector to begin with, so that’s even more adapter leads. I’m certainly not changing my PSU when this PSU is way more than sufficient and should be for many more years yet.

I seriously doubt they would use more than one connector anyway as that would be overkill.

I wonder how many people even have PCIe5 PSUs? Most people I know with 4090s are still using the "squid" adapter to connect their old 8-pin cables.
I don't use the squid with mine as I don't consider it fit for purpose - tolerances are bad and I couldn't even push it in fully initially without excessive force. Instead I just got myself Corsair original cable that plugs into my Corsair 850W PSU - works great, would also work with 2 plugs in the GPU.

I seriously doubt they would use more than one connector anyway as that would be overkill.
It really wouldn't, I suggest you find and watch Debauers video showing why 1 plug on 4090 was a really bad design flaw and most likely why 5090 won't repeat that.

They just need to go back to the 8 Pin connectors and go back to cards having 3 x 8 Pin and I have 2 cards in NVLINK/SLI with 6 x 8 Pin and have never once caused an issue and much more solid connectors and I feel a lot safer with them than any of these 16 pin useless connectors. Safety needs to come first and the 16 Pin have proved they are not.

They just need to go back to the 8 Pin connectors and go back to cards having 3 x 8 Pin and I have 2 cards in NVLINK/SLI with 6 x 8 Pin and have never once caused an issue and much more solid connectors and I feel a lot safer with them than any of these 16 pin useless connectors. Safety needs to come first and the 16 Pin have proved they are not.
I'll be honest... this would be my preference. That, and that they get the power usage of their top-end cards back under control. If the 4090 is any kind of yardstick, the incremental benefits of going for a 550W/600W card over a 450W one will be tiny.

I have a never had any problems with my 4090 no issues what so ever can't wait to see what the 5090 brings ..

Same, my Zotac Extreme Airo 4090 has has been powered on 24/7 for almost two years soon, even removed from my system twice for NVMe upgrades and once to upgrade a motherboard all while being powered with a 3x 8 pin to 16 pin extension cable from cablemod.

Not a single issue whatsoever for me, could technically run off 2x 8 pin to 16 pin extension cables so if nvidia does annoyingly use two connectors I can still power it without any issues on my current PSU.

Whether individuals have had a problem with thier 4090 or not what is clear is that there is a significant design problem with the cards power delivery.

Whether it's unintentional user error, poor electrical engineering, parts quality or otherwise nVidia would be wise not to replicate the issues and adoopt a more robust solution.

Who's gonna be selling there 4090 to get a 5090??

Depends on the performance increase TBH.

My kids will no doubt appreciate the hand me down as I’ve only ever sold one GPU second-hand.

If it’s less than 50% increase then I probably won’t bother.

Back
Top Bottom