• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

I only remember the 3080. You got that one spectacularly wrong. You got offended at my price prediction back then too.

Do you own nvidia shares sir? Lol

Sold when it became most valuable company for no reason other than hype :D I was not offended back then (or now), only annoyed at the trend that the industry was going.

More seriously though, the reason 3080 was cheap was because it was made on an inferior node (Samsung 8LPU) compared to their datacentre chips back then (TSMC 7nm), so they weren't competing with much higher margin chips for wafer capacity. If they do something similar, we have hopes of a cheaper 5080, otherwise we'll have 4080-like prices, or a significantly stripped down product being called 5080 when in reality it should have been a 5060.

Last edited:
I really find the idea of a 600W 2 slot card a bit hard to believe.

As mentioned before, Nvidia have either invented some magical cooling solution or it comes with it's own pump and radiator, probably something like the ROG Matrix Platinum although that's a 2.5 slot.

I really find the idea of a 600W 2 slot card a bit hard to believe.

As mentioned before, Nvidia have either invented some magical cooling solution or it comes with it's own pump and radiator, probably something like the ROG Matrix Platinum although that's a 2.5 slot.
Remember the Voodoo 5 with its own external power supply? I'm thinking that... and an external cooling unit you put up against the side of the case.

GeForce RTX 5080
PG144/147-SKU45
GB203-400-A1
84 SM
10752 FP32
256-bit GDDR7 16G
400W

If true the 5080 is even more pathetic than the 4080 compared to the 4090. :rolleyes:

Will have to see what 5000 series brings with DLSS 4 (if it happens this gen) - isn't AI texture and object generation rumoured, I recall Jensen mentioning this earlier in the year.
He mentions AI in general all the time, claiming it's the only way forth as silicon is over otherwise. What the really turns into, remains to be seen. It only makes me wonder what bs this time they will come up with too explain why it won't work on 4k series :p

My god... 600W. They might as well call it the "Please Regulate Us Mr. EU Edition".
As I wrote here many times already, it wouldn't surprise me one bit - J.H. says all the time now the silicon is over and AI is the only way forth. That also seem to mean that to get any raw power now too have to add transistors and with that more power - there's just no other way anymore, it seems. Unlike in the past, now you get with me process either power savings or more performance with more power, not both.

I somehow suspect the 5090 won't be £2k, it will be more!

The same tipster stated 2 slot cooler design too, that sort of engineering from a 600W card doesn't come cheap.
Neither does 512bit bus as that means much more expensive PCB usually plus much more complex design and there's the price of added memory modules there too plus it increases power use considerably. None of these comes cheap, there's no way in my book for this to be 4090 or cheaper prices - they will charge for it a lot, especially after seeing how popular 4090 is. Also, one of the reasons 5080 looks very tame and most likely won't get even close to 4090 performance (more like 20% faster than 4080 I suspect) and will be more expensive than 4080 most likely. It seems Nvidia knows most people buy xx60 class cards, then xx90 class seems to have been very popular with 4090 selling really well and then xx80 seems to be the worst seller so why bother making it much better - who wants it mostly will aim for 5090 and the rest will go lower.

Last edited:
It seems Nvidia knows most people buy xx60 class cards

The thing is, the xx60 class cards are now absolutely terrible value for money considering just how gimped they are. The disparity between the top end and the bottom end has never been greater, it's a strategy because it pushes people who probably shouldn't be spending £1.5-2k on a GPU towards one so they can tell themselves they're actually getting more for their money.

I personally know people who bought 4090s who are/were on minimum wage or close to it and I know they were already in debt. nVidia is capitalising on the haves and have-nots divide.

Last edited:
Sold when it became most valuable company for no reason other than hype :D I was not offended back then (or now), only annoyed at the trend that the industry was going.

More seriously though, the reason 3080 was cheap was because it was made on an inferior node (Samsung 8LPU) compared to their datacentre chips back then (TSMC 7nm), so they weren't competing with much higher margin chips for wafer capacity. If they do something similar, we have hopes of a cheaper 5080, otherwise we'll have 4080-like prices, or a significantly stripped down product being called 5080 when in reality it should have been a 5060.

Also the fact AMD overachieved with RDNA2 and had something close in performance to the top end Nvidia cards.

The thing is, the xx60 class cards are now absolutely terrible value for money considering just how gimped they are. The disparity between the top end and the bottom end has never been greater, it's a strategy because it pushes people who probably shouldn't be spending £1.5-2k on a GPU towards one so they can tell themselves they're actually getting more for their money.

I personally know people who bought 4090s who are/were on minimum wage or close to it and I know they were already in debt. nVidia is capitalising on the haves and have-nots divide.

But they are still the most represented cards on Steam because most gamers are probably buying pre-built desktops and laptops.

In the end,in between the 60 series being rubbish,AMD also being distracted by CPUs and the consoles having economy class hardware,its not really helping things.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom