Blame on both sides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
It's a Circular argument though, there is no reasoned evidence that the colour of skin (which has literally no definitive limits/definition, how black is black etc) constitutes a meaningful metric for sub species in humans aka race.

To my knowledge you may as well discriminate against people with hazel eyes, people don't because ill informed idiots have assumed some genetic/kin 'closeness' with those of similar skin colour, but not gone in for eye colour (perhaps because eyes are harder to assess en masse than skin tone) so much.

Regardless of the belief of an idiot discriminating against a person, who has entirely undefined levels of dark or light skin, they are not discriminating on a race but on a easily visible trait, as far as I know the only successfully/accurately defined race is human.

It isn't a circular argument, black people exist and are discriminated against, that is very real - to deny that and pretend that 'race' doesn't exist (in a social context) is frankly ridiculous. Biological classification or the amount of genetic diversity in say Africa isn't really relevant. The vast majority of 'black' people are easily classified in this context as such ditto to the vast majority of 'white' people and so on.

You think that black people who assume some closeness with other black people are 'idiots'? You don't seem to want to account for say shared experiences/history of oppression etc.. But rather you're fixated on a biological/genetic argument and seemingly blind to everything else, I think the use of the insult towards others is therefore rather ironic.

@DAIR has identified himself as being 'black' in this thread, you've just labeled him an 'ill informed idiot' for doing so. I'm assuming that it is highly likely @stewski that you're a 'white' person (or at least would be labelled as such by others since you don't believe in race)? As this supposed colour blind narrative you're espousing where because there are no clear racial boundaries/classifications in biology you can be completely dismissive of it from a social perspective certainly seems like something more likely to be promoted by someone for whom race has never likely been an issue in their life.

Soldato
It isn't a circular argument, black people exist and are discriminated against, that is very real - to deny that
Show where I said that or retract it!

and pretend that 'race' doesn't exist (in a social context) is frankly ridiculous. Biological classification or the amount of genetic diversity in say Africa isn't really relevant. The vast majority of 'black' people are easily classified in this context as such ditto to the vast majority of 'white' people and so on.

How is this easy, there are infinite shades of skin tones and I have a number friends/extended family with various graduations, you tell me how they fit easily?

You think that black people who assume some closeness with other black people are 'idiots'?
Show where I said that or retract it!

You don't seem to want to account for say shared experiences/history of oppression etc.. But rather you're fixated on a biological/genetic argument and seemingly blind to everything else, I think the use of the insult towards others is therefore rather ironic.

I've said nothing against shared culture, history, or ethnicity, I'm saying the meaning of race is sub species and not correlated to skin tone!

@DAIR has identified himself as being 'black' in this thread, you've just labeled him an 'ill informed idiot' for doing so.
Show where I did that or retract it!

I'm assuming that it is highly likely @stewski that you're a 'white' person (or at least would be labelled as such by others since you don't believe in race)? As this supposed colour blind narrative you're espousing where because there are no clear racial boundaries/classifications in biology you can be completely dismissive of it from a social perspective certainly seems like something more likely to be promoted by someone for whom race colour has never likely been an issue in their life.

Assume away, essentially you know nothing about me or where I am from. When you show me anything like a definition of race/sub species that is workable between peoples, I'll consider it as a term, at the moment what many use as 'race' seems little more than a folk tale primarily about ill defined skin colours and hair styles!

As for discrimination you have zero idea what I've seen from the police education or otherwise!

Caporegime
Again you're fixated on this tunnel vision biological/genetic argument re: race, you're completely ignoring race existing in a social context. I'm not going to present you with a biological definition and neither am I referring to one - I'm talking about race in a social context.

As for your 'show me where I said that' it is there in the post I quoted, you're denying the existence of 'race' and calling people ill informed idiots.

Assume away, essentially you know nothing about me or where I am from.

I'd also assume that if you weren't white you'd have said so now instead of leaving it open/ambiguous.

Soldato
Lol each to their own.

I'm tired of self-righteous social justice warriors behaving as if they know it all. They spend a few months taking in nonsense from the media.... All of a sudden they're experts lol.

I'm also tired of the media and high profile black people behaving as if we're all victims. They're completely out of touch. If things were truly as bad as the media makes things out to be. There is no way in hell I'd be where I am today.

Anyway I think we've drifted off topic.

Soldato
Lol each to their own.

I'm tired of self-righteous social justice warriors behaving as if they know it all. They spend a few months taking in nonsense from the media.... All of a sudden they're experts lol.

I'm also tired of the media and high profile black people behaving as if we're all victims. They're completely out of touch. If things were truly as bad as the media makes things out to be. There is no way in hell I'd be where I am today.

I'm tired of people thinking their specific skin tone makes them an expert on race or discrimination!

Caporegime

stewski is posting... he's worse than me for taking things off topic

I'm tired of people thinking their specific skin tone makes them an expert on race or discrimination!

Well, if they're from a racial minority, they're at least more likely to have lived it rather than simply observing some of it and less likely to try and pretend race doesn't exist/is meaningless simply because of a fixation on biology. But no it doesn't automatically make anyone an 'expert'.

Caporegime
It's a Circular argument though, there is no reasoned evidence that the colour of skin (which has literally no definitive limits/definition, how black is black etc) constitutes a meaningful metric for sub species in humans aka race.

To my knowledge you may as well discriminate against people with hazel eyes, people don't because ill informed idiots have assumed some genetic/kin 'closeness' with those of similar skin colour, but not gone in for eye colour (perhaps because eyes are harder to assess en masse than skin tone) so much.

Regardless of the belief of an idiot discriminating against a person, who has entirely undefined levels of dark or light skin, they are not discriminating on a race but on a easily visible trait, as far as I know the only successfully/accurately defined race is human.

This.

Biologically, there is no such thing as different human races, they are all the same human race. Black people are not a separate for race, but they are racial discriminated against because racism doesn't refer to Victorian concept of race but to social, cultural, linguistic, ethnic, and visible traits.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1525/aa.1998.100.3.651/abstract

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3737365/

Adaptive traits, such as skin color, have frequently been used to define races in humans, but such adaptive traits reflect the underlying environmental factor to which they are adaptive and not overall genetic differentiation, and different adaptive traits define discordant groups. There are no objective criteria for choosing one adaptive trait over another to define race
Skin color is 1 visible trait that is commonly used for racial discrimination, but nothing potentially stops any other trait such as eye color.

Caporegime
Skin color is 1 visible trait that is commonly used for racial discrimination, but nothing potentially stops any other trait such as eye color.

it isn't really comparable - for example the police in the US aren't being accused of discriminating against blue eyed people, they're being accused of discriminating against black people

to try and conflate skin colour and eye colour in this context is disingenuous and what I was arguing against because regardless of the biological arguments about race classification it does exist in a social context where skin colour is important and eye colour, straight hair are not comparable. While maybe in an alternate universe you could 'potentially' have a society where discrimination is based on eye colour, in reality it is skin colour that is the important factor here.

Caporegime
I love people desperately trying to make new definitions for commons words.

ask people to name 2 races and I bets the answer is "black and white"

Soldato
well except all human opinion on the subject.

All human opinion, really?
https://www.ushmm.org/outreach/en/article.php?ModuleId=10007679

For years before Adolf Hitler became chancellor of Germany, he was obsessed with ideas about race. In his speeches and writings, Hitler spread his beliefs in racial "purity" and in the superiority of the "Germanic race"—what he called an Aryan "master race." He pronounced that his race must remain pure in order to one day take over the world. For Hitler, the ideal "Aryan" was blond, blue-eyed, and tall.

Caporegime
yep . some dude dead 70 odd years doesnt really count.

plus his main factor was skin colour.

if you can find me a current popular movement to define the races of humanity on eye colour is love to see it.

Strawman argument. Skin color is visible trait just like ahir color and eye color, all 3 can be used for discrimination. Currently, 1 of those trait is more common used but there is no biological, genetic or scientific basis for singling out a single characteristic.

Soldato
As for your 'show me where I said that' it is there in the post I quoted, you're denying the existence of 'race' and calling people ill informed idiots.
Some people are uniformed idiots, being uninformed is one thing! Deliberately misrepresenting other people's positions/words and then when challenged failing to either retract what was said or prove their points one at a time is utterly wrong!

I'd also assume that if you weren't white you'd have said so now instead of leaving it open/ambiguous.
Considering the issue of idiots discriminating based on skin tone (or easily visible traits) you seem a little obsessive!

Soldato
nope just calling out your race doesn't exist/colour blind nonsense
There is clearly no colour blindness in your line of questions, when anyone has anything like a workable definition/taxonomy of even how many 'races' or subspecies there are and what they are based on, perhaps we can revisit it.

I see you continue to fail to retract or evidence your totally unacceptable misrepresentations earlier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom