BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Yes, had it a few weeks now, absolutely love it, it's remarkable in terms of its condition and how it drives.

I always thought my 728i was a good one, by comparison, this one makes it seem tired and abused by comparison.

Damn I'm jealous! Such a nice car. Always wanted an e38!

Caporegime
Knights BMW have just got back to me re servicing for my e38, an Inspection II with discount applied to parts and labour is coming back @ £680.90!

Good job it's still showing all its green lights, I'm loathe to take it elsewhere and break its full history but not impressed by the price.

Man of Honour
Knights BMW have just got back to me re servicing for my e38, an Inspection II with discount applied to parts and labour is coming back @ £680.90!

Good job it's still showing all its green lights, I'm loathe to take it elsewhere and break its full history but not impressed by the price.

Did you ask them why they couldn't do it for the advertised E39 V8 price? It's about half that.

Soldato
Yes, had it a few weeks now, absolutely love it, it's remarkable in terms of its condition and how it drives.

I always thought my 728i was a good one, by comparison, this one makes it seem tired and abused by comparison.

Not got any photos to upload yet (can't get into my photobucket account) but I'd be hard pressed to better the dealers pictures...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kgfclassiccars/sets/72157681272846243/

That said, in the flesh it's far better!

That car is incredibly clean, the previous owner must have taken exceptional care with it.
It just needs the wheel brace and screwdriver for the tool kit. :)

Caporegime
Did you ask them why they couldn't do it for the advertised E39 V8 price? It's about half that.
Yes, they said it's because the e39 5 is fully covered by the "Value Service" scheme where the e38 7 (any 7 series actually) are not which I thought pretty lame.

Ultimately they didn't seem particularly interested in my business.

Caporegime
That car is incredibly clean, the previous owner must have taken exceptional care with it.
It just needs the wheel brace and screwdriver for the tool kit. :)
It is indeed, the wheel brace and screwdriver are there (but not in the dealer photos) along with the wiring for the detachable BMW tow bar, the spare has never been used, the medical kit is still in its cellophane wrapping, it's truly immaculate.

The previous owner was the kind a used buyer dreams of, his last visit in March to BMW was a bill of £1200, amongst the jobs he had done by them during that visit was alignment, new battery, wiper blades, power steering and brake fluid, coolant change, brake calipers on the front and new springs on the rear (self levelling suspension) and an oil service....

One of my favourite aspects of its history is how it's been serviced religiously at the same BMW dealer with inspection I & II's annually despite not accumulating enough miles over the past five years to trigger an oil service (5840 miles covered since April 2012 to its last service in April 2017!)

Soldato
Wow, no expense was spared and it really does show! I can see why you want to maintain the dealer history with the car, it would be a real shame to deviate from that after all this time.
I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come and remains in that fantastic condition. :)

Man of Honour
You need to keep phoning dealers until one will do it as an E39 for you. I still think this purchase was absolutely insane but now you've done it you need to keep it like it is otherwise there really was no point.

If knights won't play ball go somewhere else. Chat to the service manager and once he realises he either does a deal or gets no work you might get somewhere.

Caporegime
I'm going to stick with BMW servicing, yes, even if I have to travel for the best price, thankfully it's not due for ages yet so I'm have plenty of time to search.

I'm reluctant to deal any further with Knights, they seem thoroughly disinterested in having my business or not.

Caporegime
I have an i3. It is hilarious. 0-40 Is rapid, runs out of any idea after that though. However if you wanna be king of the traffic light drag race get one!

Not a fan of the driving position or interior materials. Handling is also...wooley.

Caporegime
You need to keep phoning dealers until one will do it as an E39 for you. I still think this purchase was absolutely insane but now you've done it you need to keep it like it is otherwise there really was no point.

If knights won't play ball go somewhere else. Chat to the service manager and once he realises he either does a deal or gets no work you might get somewhere.

I've all but given up on Knights although my dealings with them have been via phone. Maybe I should put my request (and what you suggest) in writing to see if that'll get a more suitable and reasonable responce?

Please tell me though why my purchase was "absolutely insane"? its no secret that I'm an e38 fan and I've been banging on for years (literally) about getting another, rather than being an internet dreamer and blabbing on about something that I'd never really do I've actually looked and looked and looked - to the point of nearly giving up - and finally found the right car in the best condition possible at a price that yes was high,but, no where near what some chancers are asking for far worse ones out there (believe me, I've viewed enough) I know you think "its Beige" but, believe me, its colour combination works superbly far better than the Black one if I'm really honest.

Having now got the car I've reconsidered its use and have decided to keep it as my weekend toy rather than use it as a daily and effectively ruin it over time, as an enthusiast of the e38 - each to his own - I'd love to see whats so insane about this?

Especially given it cost me £6.5k which in the grand scheme of car purchases is hardly an outlandish outlay.

Caporegime
Lovely motor that 7 series (bar the plastic dash). :)
Thank you, yes, it is truly in a lovely condition,the dash, well, I'd have been looking at a 750i / L for that option but really, the one fitted looks just fine in the flesh, the Blue colour theme actually works rather well! - I've been surprised (although not that much tbh) by the comments I've already had since buying it I'd be nit picking by saying the wheels could do with a refurb eventually (not one is kerbed but they are starting to show very slight bubbling around the spokes) and theres the merest hint of rust on the inside edge (seam) of both front doors (corrosion from the inside out I've been advised) that said, I'm really being picky and 20 minutes with a touch up stick would leave you none the wiser, but, I'm not going down that route with it and its going to a local bodyshop of repute soon to have this addressed and then I'm going to garage it for the winter come September (my Dad is blown away by it and has graciously offered his garage for the winter to me!) Its down to be shown at a local car show in September and all I intend to do in the meanwhile is just keep everything pristine and other than the occasional weekend outing, not use it at all.

And yes, to reiterate I'm in no way, I've decided, going to break its full BMW history, the car isn't an investment, but, I should and will do my upmost to protect the considerable (for what it is) outlay I've put down on whats still a 17 year old car by maintaining a BMW S/H, I have a few more options locally to explore but was pleased to hear during a few phone calls this afternoon that a certain London dealer actually knew of the car (via KGF) and would be more than willing to "come to an amicable arrangement" with regard to servicing pricing, all isn't lost! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom