1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Dis86

Capodecina

328i/330i is where you should be looking!

2. Dis86

Capodecina

Lol. FIIIIIIGHT?!

3. Azza

Caporegime

As blunt as that. :D :D Petrol it is then.

4. EddScott

Sgarrista

Whats the opinion on XDrive? Is it a must have or only really needed up north :)

I'm looking at a 2016 330D which has pretty much the spec I want but doesn't have xDrive.

5. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

The short distance thing is a shame and complicates things but other than that the 330d is simply better than the 328i imho. I wished I was wrong but the 28i left me sufficiently underwhelmed that i couldn't pick it over a 30d.

6. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

It's an avoid unless you really really need it. It spoils the handling and hampers the fuel efficiency.

7. Basher

Soldato

With summer tyres and 19 or 20 inch wheels, I suspect xDrive will make little difference in snowy conditions. Much as I'd like to use that as an excuse to my wife to get a new 540 (please tell me I'm wrong) :)

8. crinkleshoes

Capodecina

Any tips on what tyres to get for my mile-eating behemoth please?

BMW 530d GT

275/40/19
    245/45/19

In the past I have usually gone with Conti SportContact 5s for my BMWs... but I've read reports of them getting poor mileage lately.

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, I don't see the MPS4S available in these sizes.

No run-flats... just looking for something with reasonable grip, a sidewall that's firm enough for a 2 tonne car but still offers decent ride quality.

Thanks

9. Dis86

Capodecina

Dunlop sport maxx gt's may fit the bill.

10. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

It turns out that mine does have this but its a menu option that dissappears once the car is running...

11. Buddy

Wise Guy

Any easy way of maintaining the pan-sunroof drains?

My F15 X5 is currently with the dealer for a leaky roof (front drivers aspect only). If it's the pipe it's covered under warranty. If its blocked with debris then it's £190. All I've been advised is avoid parking it under a tree. Seems like a design fault in my opinion.

12. Steedie

Man of Honour

High five for the light buddies!

But yeah, it also is only available for me when the car is parked up and engine off, probably why I never noticed it as I only ever fiddle with the options when bored in traffic :D

13. Azza

Caporegime

Oh well that's disappointing. There's a few good looking 328i up at the moment here & here.

The latter does have the visibility pack too, should that be considered as a must have?

14. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

That second one is a very nice spec. Active cruise...

15. Havana_UK

Mobster

Buy Michelin, they get seriously good mileage. There's no reason to go for the PS4S specifically for that car (it's hardly a car that demands UHP tyres), but look at PS4 instead.

16. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

You don't get a choice so you? It's the size that dictates which version is available.

17. Havana_UK

Mobster

Whilst true, my point is why spend £££ more on PS4S if PS4 is available instead? It just seems to be that lately on this forum the attitude is "if it's not PS4S don't even bother"...

Contis are great tyres for performance but in my experience wear out so fast compared to Michelin that I'd choose Michelin over them (where available) every time. My M3 has got Conti SportContact 5P on...I'll be putting Michelin PS4S on when they need changing.

18. chroniclard

Capodecina

Just got some PS4 all round, not run flats so need to get some kind of puncture repair thing however the ride quality is a fair bit better and quieter.

19. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Well because it won't be available instead? There isn't overlap between the two I don't think.

20. crinkleshoes

Capodecina

Where I'm looking, PS4 doesn't seem to be available.

My choices for matching the sizes is just PS3.

I'm looking on blackcircles and mytyres - anywhere else I should check?