1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Django x2

Capodecina

Stuck open thermostat

2. Liquidfox

Mobster

Didn't have a bit of bother in the snow with my 35d xDrive, you could feel it actively moving power between the two as one axle started slipping. I doubt I'd have gotten out of my street without it.

3. Basher

Soldato

Winter tyres or standard tyres?

Can I use you as a reference to my wife so I can buy a 540? :p:D

4. SDK^

Capodecina

You liked the car you tested then :p

5. Dis86

Capodecina

I tried to...its sold though. Not to be before you hunt me down!

6. Basher

Soldato

Oh yes! Some pretty decent dealer contributions and discounts on offer which, with a good dose of man maths might just work out.

7. Simon

Capodecina

Seems it is normal as the stat opens at 80C. I guess its designed for track rather than efficiency

8. SDK^

Capodecina

Glad i'm not alone with being creative with the figures supplied to partners :p

9. Gaygle

Capodecina

Yeah this is what I was thinking. with normal cruising mine hovers around 65c which isn't right. The thermostat is supposed to open at 79c I think but I reckon it might be stuck.

Yeah mine is much the same - gets up to 65c quite quickly but just stays there unless I sit on my drive for 5 minutes then it just about gets to 80c. Someone on the BMW M3 V8 Facebook group posted their temps after a 15 minute drive at similar ambient temperatures, and theres was reading at around 88c iirc, which then crept up to 91c when sitting. I have a feeling this is what it is meant to be doing.

I did some reading and a failed thermostat is very common on all E9x models, characterised by mid 60's cruising temperatures. I don't think it is overcooled, this would be a huge design flaw if so. My E46 M3 consistently had water temperature between 85-90c doing the same drive to work that I do now, and in the same fashion. A cars cooling system should be able to read a steady temperature whether being spanked around the track at Defcon 1 in the the height of summer or driven to the local shops in the snow.

Not yet, nope.

If the only way you're able to hit the 80's is by sitting on the spot for several minutes (as I have to do) something isn't right. I've ordered a new thermostat and it'll hopefully be here Saturday so i'll fit it then and report back. Yours might be fine but I'm sure mine isn't - the water should be getting hotter than 65c after 20 minutes of 60mph driving, inc overtakes etc. If I do cheat and get sit on the spot for 5 minutes and let it get into the 80s - as soon as I drive, it falls back down to 65-70c.

10. Simon

Capodecina

be interested how you get on. Dunno if you replied to my M3 V8 post on FB?

11. dazz25

Wise Guy

Picked up my 430d on Tuesday and have got to say I'm finding it a pleasure to drive when compared to the 118d it replaced!

Not quite the M135 that I had before that but with a 150 mile per day commute the 430d is an ideal compromise between pace and economy.

12. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Just handed back a 540i xDrive which I've had this week whilst mine has a few bits done.

Very nice.

13. thewanted

Mobster

Do you still hate xDrive as much as you did?

14. chanjy

Mobster

How did you manage that.

I get a crappy 320d when I take my car in

15. Basher

Soldato

Impressive, isn’t it?

16. Amraam

Mobster

Does anyone know where the jack points are on a new 530e? Nothing wrong, just want to lift the car to clean the wheels.

17. Dis86

Capodecina

Believe they're in similar positions. Should be 2 each side in the mid section about 6 inches from the wheels. Then there's normally a front and rear mount about 24 inches from the front and back of the car.

18. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Yes - it offers nothing I want and comes at a cost. Why isn't there a choice offered?

Yes, it is.

The engine is smooth and refined - the low speed refinement is especially nice. The 530d is fantastic and is the most refined diesel I've ever driven but it will never be a petrol six and the 540i very much is. It's a pleasure to waft about in traffic. It actually drives very much like the 530d in terms of its power delivery - not much point revving it and the throttle is a bit all or nothing off boost in much the same was the diesel is. It is however considerably more thirsty - I averaged just 19mpg and this included some dual carriageway driving and I'm hardly Gibbo :D On average it was about 30% less efficient than the 530d. Which I guess is to be expected.

I love the many subtle improvements to the way everything works. Auto Hold now defaults to on - no pressing the button every single time you set off as per the F10. Little touches like configurable heated seats which automatically switch on below a preset ambient temperature are wonderful and the new iDrive interface is slick, fast and attractive. The screen resolution is excellent but I still hate the stick up screen.

The climate panel is a styling and ergonomic disaster though - it looks tacky with the glossy plastic and crap casio LCD display and for some bizarre reason the function buttons are grouped at either end of the panel so you have to reach right over to the passenger side for the window demist button :confused: 4 zone climate fixes this I'd imagine but few used cars will ever have that specced.

The seats look absolutely fantastic, the bits of trim and styling really lift the interior and I love the way the entire door and dash is now trimmed in 'leather' as standard.

In summary then I have no burning desire to immediately rush out and buy one but I see no real reason why my F10's eventual replacement when the time comes won't be a G30.

19. LEUVEN

Hitman

I've watched 3 videos of that secret menu on YouTube and still can't get it to display on mine,
    Just chucks me back to the beginning.
    Was going to test it to see what it gets to for a comparison for you.
    I have a carly plug-in thing so I wonder if that will show it.....

20. Griffo

Wise Guy

So, you may recall a few pages ago I got a nice E46 325i sport auto thing in silver. It's been a couple of months now and I still love it.

There is however a bit of rusting bubbling away at the front of the rear arches. The pub talk is that a garage would cut it out, weld something in, bosh. Is that the case do you think? I'm wondering how much of my log/pellet burner budget I need to dig into!