1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Deep

Soldato

So I've had an interesting run in with BMW.

I bought a ActiveHybrid 5 on Saturday last week from BMW Derby. Drove to McDonalds to get a burger before my journey back to London.
    Turns out the speakers don't work! So back I go to the dealership and to tell them.

They said they'd ring the BMW dealers near me to book it in to get fixed, Monday morning comes around and I chase BMW Derby they tell me to contact them myself and arrange the repair.

I ring BMW Heathrow/Chiswick and the earliest they can pick the car up is 6th February which would have been two weeks time and they wanted to charge me a day rate for the service. I then complain to BMW Derby and they (finally) agree to pick up the cost, but they won't pay for my taxis to get around during the time I won't have a car which in my eyes they should be doing seeing as it's their fault.

After that I then request a refund and I say to them that I'll take the car to the nearest BMW dealership or their Stratstone Aston Martin dealership. They have the cheek to tell me to drive the car all the way back to Derby and take a train home. Absolutely idiotic.
    I then complain and they agree to pay for a train back to London.

So as of now I've showed them where I don't have to do that under the Consumer Rights Act and am waiting for them to contact me, it's been 5 days since the last contact from them.
    It'll be interesting to see how they respond, they've got to pay for a lot of costs that I've incurred over the week!

Very disappointing service though, I don't blame BMW just that Derby branch

2. Dangerous Dave

Mobster

Does sound like it has been poorly handled, the car should be under warranty and fixable at any BMW dealer without a day rate charge for the work. If the car is over 3 years old and has the Mondial extended warranty they provide a hire car when the car is in for work, if the dealer doesn't have any available they provide a hire car.

3. crinkleshoes

Capodecina

Poo through their letterbox...

4. chanjy

Mobster

5. Azza

Caporegime

Good spot! Trust me for not reading correctly. :D

I take it the 320i is not worth considering?

6. Simon

Capodecina

That joyous time of the year when tax and insurance is due. Had the M3 for 1 yr and 10k miles without trouble bar an ABS sensor in the first few weeks.

Renewal from Sky is £610 up from £500 last year so time to shop around.

7. Gaygle

Capodecina

Just trying to get some advice on a possible issue with my E92 M3. I've been using the onboard computer to monitor the water/coolant temperature periodically over the last weeks days. On a 15-20mile steady drive the coolant temperature stays at around 60-65c and never gets any higher. If I stop and sit for a couple of minutes, it reaches 71-72c, the same as if i give it some beans.

I know it's cold outside at the moment, but was wondering what *water* temperature everyone elses runs at? Does this sound like a problem with the thermostat? I thought that the water temperature should sit at around 80c?

8. Simon

Capodecina

I assume oil temperature is showing normal (just below half)?

How are you monitoring with on board? Diag settings or a OBD plug in?

9. Gaygle

Capodecina

Yeh oil is normal - sits around 85c or so.

Water never seems to get above 65c though unless sitting and then it barely scrapes low 70s. Monitoring with the OBD computer (pressing and holding mileage reset and going through the "secret menu" to "KTEMPMOM"

10. Alibaba99

Wise Guy

That water temperature seems remarkably low. Normal temperature for water is around 80-90°c. I would suspect that the thermostat is sticking open.

11. Simon

Capodecina

I’ll check mine. Got any more info on the secret menu.

Hits 52 within a few mins then seems to sit there for a while. Drove my 14miles of country roads after being in traffic and sat 75-76. Only after a bit of acceleration to overtake a few cars it hit 77c. Ambient 7-8C and oil temperature probably 85-90C

Surprising really, but it is probably overcooled due to design for track and hard driving. Could probably do with a radiator block in this weather.

I’m parked now and it’s crept up to 84c due to heat soak with the engine off

Have you posted on cutters

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  12. wingman

Mobster

Requesting a sense check from Motors, please! :)

A chap I follow on Twitter is selling his facelift E46 M3, manual, silver, 96k miles, in need of some cosmetic work but mechanically sound.

His description:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What are those points roughly going to cost to sort?

What price should this M3 be pitched at?

13. Simon

Capodecina

£1000?

14. crinkleshoes

Capodecina

With that mileage and work... I'd only be thinking about £7-8k

15. wingman

Mobster

Thanks crinkle.

He's asking £5.5k.

16. crinkleshoes

Capodecina

That sounds alright to me... getting all that stuff fixed will probably be a good £2-3k.

As long as the engine and chassis are in good nick (check the boot floor especially from what I remember)... then I'd snap his arm off for that price... E46 M3 is still one of the best drivers cars around.

17. Gaygle

Capodecina

A lot. Front wings are £620 delivered, plus painting. If it needs a large service (i know he said it's had an inspection II recently, but many essential things often get forgotten, some VANOS work etc then you'll be another couple of thousand down.

Has the bootfloor had work done? If it hasn't, that's another £1000.

Despite all of the above, if you can get it for £5k I think you'll be doing fine. Most £5k examples are on fire, so I think you'll get your money back easily if you jack it in. Buy it expecting that there will be rust in places you can't see and which the seller probably won't even know of. Give it a good look over and test drive, and if you know someone who has/does own one, take them along. It really depends on what history it's got also, and you're skill with a spanner.

For the average person, the time to own an E46 M3 has gone. They have too many issues to worry about to own one hassle free.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  18. Simon

Capodecina

Couldn’t get over 82C coolant temp this morning. Can’t be right

19. Chris1712

Sgarrista

You didn't just buy that approved used 24.4k one did you, I was hoping no one would notice it for ~5 months :(.

20. wingman

Mobster

Thanks for your detailed response, I'd be inclined to agree that the car at £5k is just about worth it.

Having said that he's messaged me this morning to say that it's been sold, so there you go. I guess the right car at the right price will always sell.