BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
You saw my post above right?

Link to the installation site: http://www.eyephysics.com/BMWG30/bmwg30.html

Sorry mate, I didn't. Got lost in the debating over why a dash cam would or would not spoil my car. I'll check it out now :)

How are you finding your new motor? Still love mine. Spent 8 hours on Friday thoroughly cleaning and waxing it. Filthy again as expected, but at least the paint has some protection now :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Which almost never happens outside of the minds of those convincing themselves to become a dashcammer. If you have someone run into the back of you unless they've got some proof you reversed into them at traffic lights for no apparent reason it's going against them.
What about the other way around - i.e. someone reverses into you at traffic lights. Going by your example it would go against you [with no camera]

Soldato
How are you finding your new motor? Still love mine. Spent 8 hours on Friday thoroughly cleaning and waxing it. Filthy again as expected, but at least the paint has some protection now :)
I'm enjoying it, there are so many things it does better than anything else I've had / tested. Also, I'm glad I went with a lower spec engine and a higher spec/quality car (330D vs 520D). I'm not finding the lower power and lack of noise a problem.

I'm less obsessed about keeping it clean these days - I just don't have time to do it anymore. I will probably clean it when the weather improves in April :p

Man of Honour
What about the other way around - i.e. someone reverses into you at traffic lights. Going by your example it would go against you [with no camera]

Most people will go their entire driving careers without someone randomly and inexplicably reversing into them at traffic lights. You're probably more likely to experience an issue when out walking, are headcams the next thing?

Soldato
Which almost never happens outside of the minds of those convincing themselves to become a dashcammer.

Well there were over 4.3 million claims to just top 19 car insurance companies in the year 2013->2014. And we all anecdotally know a friend or family member that has been involved in a collision and the stress and hassle that more often than not comes along with it, especially if the other party decides to dig their heels in. Many of us will know first hand the difficulties faced when claiming, often not from the insurance company, but from the other party.

And your baseless prejudices to having a dashcam are really rather clear when you write things like "convincing themselves to become a dashcammer" as if it's a way of life or you're converting to a new religion or something! I really don't know how you can be so vehemently against someone literally having a small camera in their car in case they have an accident and they can show an insurer or the police exactly what happened so that it ends up with a fair conclusion. A dashcam can also record conversations immediately after an accident, which are great because it often happens that people change their story after they've had a chance to think about it, but before they write out the section on the claim form that says "Tell us what happened".

If you have someone run into the back of you unless they've got some proof you reversed into them at traffic lights for no apparent reason it's going against them.

I've seen it several times just on this one forum over the years, including a few years back when this exact scenario happened at a roundabout and his insurance were ready to settle 50-50. He then had to fight tooth and nail to get his insurance company to challenge this and send them videos showing that his car, which was an automatic, couldn't have rolled back because it has auto hold and when you take your foot off the brake, it starts trying to go forward.

In the context of 4,300,000 car insurance claims a year, this is a very specific and rare occurrence so let's try to not focus on this one scenario as being the sole reason to have a dashcam. However, the underlying principles are exactly the same - people lie AND misremember details particularly when they have had the shock of an accident and/or are trying to cover their arse! I have no idea why someone would be against a small, cheap, effective device that helps create a fairer decision when it comes to liability, but then this same person doesn't blink at spending £1100 per year on a warranty product which they will likely not even make use of.

Some European countries ban the use of dashcams. Why do you think that might be?

Because some countries are extremely protective of privacy laws and whereas the realism is that dashcams aren't there to infringe on people's privacy (as they drive about the public roads?), they may still be taken that way. Maybe they don't have the problems with false personal injury claims or drivers being less than honest about the events of a collision. Maybe they do but they haven't got to a stage where they have forced a rewriting of old laws created decades before dashcams were even thought about.

Some insurers offer a 10-20% discount on policies if the driver has a dashcam. Why do you think that might be?

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry Fox, but you're off your game on this one. It's clear you don't like them, which is fair enough, but please don't look down on everyone else because they think they're a good idea.

Soldato
Most people will go their entire driving careers without someone randomly and inexplicably reversing into them at traffic lights. You're probably more likely to experience an issue when out walking, are headcams the next thing?
It all comes down to your risk appetite.
- Most people never have a health/issue when travelling abroad but continue to take out travel insurance.
- Most people leasing/PCP a car never have an issue which requires the use of GAP insurance but continue to take out a GAP policy.

Soldato
I don't like the people who buy them and put videos of supposedly bad driving on youtube whilst shouting "I GOT U ON CAMRUH M8", or people who send footage into the police when no accident was caused. But if you're going to have one to use purely in the event of an accident, I can understand it, although personally I wouldn't want to pull a new car apart to hardwire one in.

Soldato
I don't like the people who buy them and put videos of supposedly bad driving on youtube whilst shouting "I GOT U ON CAMRUH M8", or people who send footage into the police when no accident was caused. But if you're going to have one to use purely in the event of an accident, I can understand it, although personally I wouldn't want to pull a new car apart to hardwire one in.

That was my concern too, but it looks very easy to do.

Permabanned

I doubt I'd like the people who do it... but I kinda like watching the videos once in a while :eek:

Associate
M140i owner, Had quite a few beemers last few year the engine makes this car epic that being said I do wish I went for another 3 series but I sort of fancied a hot hatch.

Next motor I reckon will either be a M340i (When released) Ideally a Tourer or Big SUV/Pickup

esumbk.jpg

Back
Top Bottom