1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, Apr 12, 2012.

1. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

It's just a 320d with a remap and zero spec. You would be better off with a 330d M Sport, it's simply better.

2. Vita

Capodecina

I’ve read so many times that a 6cyl is much better.

I’ve never been one to get hung over spec. I can live without certain things which isn’t the issue. I have no issue with getting a car that doesn’t have idrive, leathers, heated seats etc Its never been a forefront of my purchases. Not having xenon projectors is a bit of a hit but again I can live without.

I have yet to drive an d3 but when I have driven a msport 330d I always found that the suspension was very stiff, I can’t say this was with runflats or alternative tyres.

I’ve read the d3 drives much better. It seems more sharper and the ride is also much better to, this has also been said by owners I’ve spoken to on forums/social media. On the bright side they don’t seem to sell as quickly and maybe I’ll manage to get a bargain somewhat if I do decide to go for one.

3. arfoll

Wise Guy

In that case get an SE bmw? I also agree Alpinas are generally overpriced, especially if you don't care about the fancy leather then it seems like a bad choice. Better to get a normal car and just get suspension that suits you.... A 6cyl is a much nicer 'gain' than a d3 setup imho. Then again maybe you drive a d3 and love it and well maybe they're great and worth the premium.

Never driven a d3, did briefly look into them, have sat in one.

4. Egon

Soldato

So it turns out that yes, this is true. I had been considering changing from Android to iOS, one of the reasons being carplay, but if BMW are putting up a paywall to access a completely free service then I guess not.

Doesn't sit well with me at all that. Pure greed, but I bet people pay it because they don't know better. Is this common practice across the industry?

5. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

I find it incredibly bizarre. I am happy to pay for real-time traffic for example but this feels like being asked to pay per year for your automatic wipers...

6. Shivy011

Soldato

Still really don't understand no android auto.... They even use android tablets in rear screen entertainment in 7 series and I assume X7!!

7. arfoll

Wise Guy

They don't? Where have you seen that?

8. Shivy011

Soldato

Multiple videos etc.. The screens in the rear and that centre armrest detachable screen thing run some form of android as OS

9. arfoll

Wise Guy

The detachable thing sure. The rear screens stuck to the seats no ;)

10. MacRS4

Wise Guy

Agreed. It's really irritating. You'd think I'd be used to it - I was doing a ton more miles in the M, and was filling up every other day. At least then I had a reason to. The M2 seems constantly on empty and I hardly do any miles now.

11. alx

Soldato

Is that the total tank size, including reserve? I thought my C63 was bad with a 66L tank....

12. Jonnycoupe

Capodecina

It’s not really that small. No big outlyers from those. Big one I know was Range Rover as the ground clearance allowed 110L, that soon started to get degraded with urea tanks etc.

Range is a frustration as a result of the CO2 push a decade ago. Many eco versions have foam baffles to allow a lighter test mass for NEDC at the time.

13. matthab

Mobster

To make it even funnier the new BMW 3 series can unlock with your phone, which doesn't work with iPhones :D. Thanks to Apple not unlocking the NFC chip to 3rd party apps.

14. Scania

Capodecina

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/201809110385376?location=Peebles Rd, Silverdale, Newcastle ST5 6QY, UK&quoteref=e4925af1-d35b-43ee-b936-25feb8d73990
    My partner has seen this and is thinking of changing her 118d Sport for it (65 plate, 13k Miles, has balance of AUC warranty - 4 months - and another year or so on the service pack which will cover its next major service)

Blue Bell BMW are quoting her car plus £9k to change...

But, on looking on BMW’s site I’ve found this which seems a better deal...

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/201810291932629?location=Peebles Rd, Silverdale, Newcastle ST5 6QY, UK&quoteref=b776d9df-b9a4-4d7a-8960-6775daffaf3b

Am I missing something?

My view is for her to keep the 1 Series, she likes it and it’s perfect for her and her son on the school run etc that it does predominantly.

But, she wants something bigger because her elderly parents struggle to get into the 1 Series which I can’t personally see a 3 being a huge improvement upon....

Despite not liking the M Sport suspension when we tried - and nearly bought - a 320d a few weeks back she’s driven this 318 today and likes it (to be fair it was not as “crashy” as the last example we tried)

Basically she regrets buying the 1 in the first place so I suspect she won’t be happy until she’s changed for something bigger albeit by not much.

I’ve tried suggesting the obvious solution is for her to use my 7 for the 8 weeks or so her parents are visiting from Cyprus where they live, but she doesn’t like my cars mpg (but hey, £9k to change what you have now to something marginally bigger makes sense?)

I thought man maths was bonkers, nothing on woman maths it appears! :D

Anyway, am I missing something between the 318d and the 320d I’ve quoted above? A bit puzzled as to why two cars from the same group would appear so closely matched price wise given the 320 would - you’d think - be the better bet?

15. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

You are really good at finding these no-option cars Scania :p

16. Scania

Capodecina

No mate, she is! :D

Anyway, back to the question, what’s the difference between the two? - not much bar the engine map and price from what I can see?

17. Blackhawk47

Capodecina

Definitely find one with the proper nav. That smaller screen version looks dreadful.

18. Scania

Capodecina

I hear you although to be honest - compared to the same size screen in her 118, the graphics etc are very much better on this one, it’s had some kind of visual update it appears, the main point (bar screen size) of pro nav from what I can tell is the hard drive for storing music, “torque gauges” and full 3D map display can’t see her using the storage tbh, she just streams music from her phone or uses DAB, the gauges are just silly and she’s not had any gripes with the older map display on her 1, this one looks much better in that regard anyway.

Going to go back in a bit and see if there’s any movement on price given the similar priced 320d I found.

Pro nav is nice but it’s not - to her - a big deal nor a deal breaker.

19. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

I dropped off a rented 1 series the other day with the small navigation. It's simply not as good.

20. Scania

Capodecina

Just got back from Blue Bell, tried 3 different 320d’s, one was a shadowline with 19’s which went really well - noticeably quicker than the other two - but was very noisy inside and the ride quality was awful, two other 320d M Sports on 18’s which both rode better and tbh neither felt as quick as the shadowline which was odd, the shadowline has done 2700miles the other two were 5000 and 28 miles respectively.

As an alternative given she always liked her old Focus and regrets changing it we tried a new shape one at the Ford dealer around the corner, what a let down! I thought she’d have changed to wanting one but now is dead against the idea.
    We said we wanted a diesel but the salesman insisting we tried a 3pot 125 BHP Ecobang didn’t help matters at all.

To be fair to Blue Bell, no pressure to make a deal there and then, and he even suggested waiting until the new model launches in March because it will have an effect on values of F30’s which I thought fair of him, a very different experience to Knights BMW (given they are the same Lookers group) who couldn’t have pushed more to make us place a deposit etc, a very refreshing change.

I’m thinking she’ll wait and see - I still don’t think changing her 1 Series makes any real sense, in the meantime I’m going to see what other crappy spec examples I can find! :D