1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, Apr 12, 2012.

1. EddScott

Sgarrista

Odd question but does anyone know where the DAB aerial is located on a F30/31?

I'm about to fit a dash cam and rear view but have read they can interfere with DAB signal. Want to run the camera cables as far away as possible from the aerial.

2. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

In the sharkfin I think.

Probably easier to just not rig your car up with rear facing CCTV though, I mean what on earth do you need that for :p

3. Scania

Capodecina

I’m saying your right there - I managed to snap off said fin recently (don’t ask!) and the DAB stopped working. :o :D

4. Basher

Soldato

It's so you can accelerate into roundabouts and get onto YouTube I think.

5. Scania

Capodecina

Catching out reckless truckers for example. :D

6. Destination

Capodecina

random question, do current and previous model BMWs have auto levelling headlights, or do you adjust them manually inside the vehicle?

7. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Cars fitted with Xenon or LED headlights have auto levelling, cars without are manually adjusted inside the vehicle.

8. Havana_UK

Mobster

I bought the 20L tub from my local dealer (they don't normally sell it to plebs though) but that was nearly 4 years ago. I'm down to the last few litres now, so I'll be going in again soon to ask if I can get more. Normally the 20L tub is for workshop use only. I think I paid £56 for it when I got it.

9. Destination

Capodecina

Thank you, and can the autolevelling be overridden from within the control interface?
    I've noted recently, an incredible amount of vehicles driving with their lights set incorrectly, I don't mean on full beam, but on dipped lights, still blinding everything in their path.
    Of the 10 we clocked on a short journey yesterday evening, 8 were BMWs and 2 were Fords.
    Perhaps they were all manually adjusted to the wrong level. Just seemed remarkably the consistency.

10. RedvGreen

Mobster

I keep getting flashed by oncoming vehicles when my LED headlights are on. I’ve had them checked out and they’re correctly aligned. They’re not the lazy-self-dipping either, nor are they being left in full-beam when passing oncoming vehicles.

Anyone else have this issue? People not used to the dipped brightness?

11. RedvGreen

Mobster

I use the 5L containers from BMW; never knew there was a larger volume container available though! (Albeit previously)...

12. muon

Capodecina

I was gonna say I have the same thing (once a week maybe). It's definitely set up fine and they are always dipped, like you I've checked (it shouldn't be blinding anyone, unlike raised 4x4s) and it doesn't look high from a driver's point of view, in fact I'd argue it's too low.

Every time I think something is broken on the outside when it happens, because I know the lights are fine.

Being able to manually adjust to an illegal level is an MOT failure. So that shouldn't be possible.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  13. Jonnycoupe

Capodecina

There’s adjustment on the headlamps to account for tolerance at build to a set datum. So they can be adjusted... just need to open the bonnet! It’s likely many cars are probably driving around outside spec.

14. texasjohn

Gangster

I have adaptive LEDs and do occasionally get a flash when the light pattern is actually blinding people (the adaptive being a bit slow to react), so on certain roads where I know it is a problem I avoid using it.

I know that's not the question you asked, so...I haven't had anyone flash me when they are on dipped.

15. Blackhawk47

Capodecina

Saw this at the dealer today. Wow but £85k (inc options).

840d

[​IMG]

16. Gaygle

Capodecina

Like.

£85k brand new. £50k for a 12 month old example :p

17. texasjohn

Gangster

Yep. That’s about right

18. Django x2

Capodecina

in 12 months time yeah

19. muon

Capodecina

In 12 months time it wont even be 85k new.

That's the premium you pay for getting a car when it comes out.

20. Rossi~

Capodecina

That's an expensive dagdag.