1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Damien.

Soldato

Planning on getting my 403m's refurbished in March ready for the summer months. Been quoted £750 for diamond cut (original finish) or £350 powder coated. Not sure what to do, I live right on the coast so can see the diamond cuts corroding again in the not so distant future. What's everyone's thoughts on this;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note, my car is also Silver but I have tinted rear quarters and M-sport brakes.

2. MoRT489

Soldato

Nope that was £251 on top!

3. Simon

Capodecina

Hmm I guess that’s all items including brake fluid ?

4. ahenners

Wise Guy

I actually think I prefer those style wheels powder coated. I'd probably go for that rather than diamond cut (and I'm usually a fan of diamond cut).

5. MoRT489

Soldato

I can’t find an official list but have seen one on bimmer forum which shows all fluids, etc and filter, spark plugs, etc as included. I think the service desk person is just an idiot.

6. Simon

Capodecina

7. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Brake fluid is a completely separate element under CBS and is never included as standard - it's on a different time schedule anyway.

This still doesn't make sense to me - the element in the menu listed as 'Vehicle Inspection' is the MOT - not an Inspection Service.

You should have:

Oil Service - This is an oil change and microfilter change and, every 2/3rd service (Not entirely sure on M Power), it includes plugs etc etc and gets expensive. It's only ever listed in iDrive as 'Oil Service'.
    Vehicle Check - This is what used to be all the checks and inspections in the old Inspection 1 and 2 servicing from years and years ago. It's now a separate element. It does not involve the replacement of parts.
    Vehicle Inspection - This is your MOT
    Brake Fluid - This is the brake fluid

All 4 of these elements are separate and do not necessarily become due at the same time.

It would help if you could post a photo of your iDrive service screen.

8. Simon

Capodecina

With CBS. Oil service is separate to oil and microfilters. Even with oil service the oil filte will be replaced so parts will be replaced. £295 vs £375 according to link.

It’s pretty clear on the service website to be honest. My oil service had associated filters as well as this was driven by the two year requirement rather than mileage

Also there are two inspections. One is MOT which you can change date of manually (just a reminder really). The other is the actual vehicle inspection where they just check it over and read codes for the sake of £80 I think. ( they messed up my recall booking so I got mine for free )

9. Gaygle

Capodecina

Yeh I never get the vehicle inspection done. It's just a waste of money in my opinion - the car gets MOT'd, and gets a check over at its service once a year too. I'm not going to pay BMW another £80 to kick the tyres and check the horn works.

They gave it a free check over when it went for it's recalls anyway (a fairly thorough one) so I'm wondering what, in reality, they do over this to justify an £80 charge. My guess is that dealerships see this as a bit of a money for old rope service which takes them about 5 minutes to do.

10. Gaygle

Capodecina

The thing is, it's fairly simple on the e9x to work out what you need to have done...because it says it all on a nice screen. If it says he requires an oil service, he requires an oil service. If he requires brake fluid, he requires brake fluid. I'm not sure why it's anymore complicated than this? Air filter is inspected and replaced if necessary. Spark plugs are every 37k miles or so.

Either way ~£800+VAT for a service, any service is insane.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  11. Simon

Capodecina

Agree but Oil service won’t mention micro filters or air filters. Nor spark plugs

They need the key for that and reading told me I needed plugs at 37k even though they were changed at the 28k service 2 years before

Also it seems that my service book is telling me I haven’t had brake fluid changed since dec 2014 yet I drive tells me it was due jan 2019.

It’s all a bit confusing when you buy these second hand !

12. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

It's not - an oil service *is* the oil and microfilters. BMW manage to confuse this by also offering an oil service without microfilters on the BMW Service website - you have lots of fun with the dealer if you try and book this.

13. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

The problem with this is is that if you don't get it done, you no longer have full service history. Which is fine provided you are happy with that. The 'Vehicle Check' is the inspection element of the old Inspection services, and the same checks are part of all other manufacturers services, too. BMW just stripped it out and made it separate as part of CBS. When explained properly it makes perfect sense, the problem is it never is explained properly and people just assume CBS is a ripoff.

The issue is that whilst you are not an idiot and know if your car is ok most people are not you and when buying a used car, a car with FSH indicates that at least somebody has been having a look once in a while.

14. Simon

Capodecina

You said an oil service needs no parts changing a few posts ago. Make your mind up !!!!

15. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

No I didn't :confused:

16. MoRT489

Soldato

The iDrive shows:

Vehicle Check 03/19 or 20000 miles
    § vehicle inspection 03/19 (this can be changed in iDrive so I guess is MOT - not relevant in Jersey anyway)
    Engine Oil 03/19 or 8000 miles
    Brake Fluid 01/21

The car is 2011 and has done 48000 miles. I thought Inspection II was at 60000 miles, so not sure why the dealer's system is telling them it's due now.

I cleaned the MAF sensor this evening so will see tomorrow if that has fixed the rough idle situation.

17. theone8181

Mobster

Don't know if you've just not listed it, but my idrive shoes when brakes need doing as well (although not sure if it's pads or discs or both). It is also an e92 m3.

18. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

There is no inspection 2. It's gone for ever and it died with the E46 almost 15 years ago.

The car is due and oil service and vehicle check next month, have a look at the service book and see what was done last time it had an oil service but it's likely now due the major oil service with the plugs and filters etc too, hence the cost. In terms of work this when combined with the also due vehicle check is basically the equivalent of the old inspection 2 so probably where the confusion has come from.

19. Simon

Capodecina

I think you need it for the corrosion warranty though.

They did send me a video of someone checking the tyres and brakes

20. IAmATeaf

Soldato

Are the 403s prone to cracking? I’ve been losing air in one of mine, checked the tyres and can’t see a nail/screw so am wondering if it might have a crack?