BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
At least one of the bonuses of the diesel bad press is that plenty of 540i G30/G31s are available second hand unlike the F10/F11 535i

And they seem to sit at dealers for months and months because it turns out nobody wants a 4 wheel drive 5 series that does 15mpg around town. Who'd have thought it!

Soldato
And they seem to sit at dealers for months and months because it turns out nobody wants a 4 wheel drive 5 series that does 15mpg around town. Who'd have thought it!

I do :) hopefully they drop a bit more.

I thought you got 20mpg out the loan 540i compared to 25mpg out you 530d ? Doesn't seem that bad to me. I can get sub 20mpg on the school run out a 535/335d so nothing surprising really.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The issue with the 20d is not a lack of power - it offers all the power most people really need - it's how it delivers that power and how it detrimentally impacts the way the car drives.

To a lesser extent the same applies to the 2 litre petrol engine in the 530i, too.
I fail to see how it’s power delivery is detrimental to how the car drives, it’s got plenty of low end torque and pulls very strongly so much so it’s won it’s class in the Tow car awards - https://www.thetowcarawards.com/tow-car/bmw-520d-3/ - again, they regard it as the pick...
the ideal balance between price, performance and economy.
Yes you can tell it’s a diesel, you can tell the 530d is one as well.

You make it sound as if the 520d delivers some woeful driving experience, it doesn’t and every review of the 520d - and it’s sales figures - reflect that.

Soldato
I fail to see how it’s power delivery is detrimental to how the car drives, it’s got plenty of low end torque and pulls very strongly so much so it’s won it’s class in the Tow car awards - https://www.thetowcarawards.com/tow-car/bmw-520d-3/ - again, they regard it as the pick...

Yes you can tell it’s a diesel, you can tell the 530d is one as well.

You make it sound as if the 520d delivers some woeful driving experience, it doesn’t and every review of the 520d - and it’s sales figures - reflect that.

The car that sells the most is not necessarily the best car in the range. It just means that it's attractive to leasing companies/company car schemes.

Associate
Agree with TW Fox's comments.

Slightly tangential, but on an FB group this morning someone was asking about the E90 318i. An owner posted a rough average of 30MPG. An N55 335i will return at least 25MPG (often up to and beyond 35 in my personal experience, but I did a fair bit of motorway). Yes a 320d is a different matter (and a fair comparison would be a 330d), but I bet that 318i wouldn't be returning more than low 40s at constant 80-85MPH.

I guess the point is, these aren't light cars, E90, E60, F10 (especially) and a four cylinder motor needs to be 'on the boil' a lot more.

But from a company car taxation, depreciation, initial purchase price perspective, or a private buyer's 'whole cost life' basis, the 18i or 20d will always be more attractive. As far as maintenance costs go, there isn't really much of a different between any of the cooking models, it is only on the M cars that you see a step change and a lot of that is down to market pricing rather than the cost of the components.

Run a price for an oil change and microfilter for a F10 550i and F10 M5 on the BMW Service website. The M5 is almost double; the cars both use the same oil filter and the same microfilters! The oil in the M5 needs to meet LL04, same as the 550i...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Because it's an entry level hatchback?

It's not though really is it? A Corsa is an entry level hatchback. An UP! is an entry level hatchback. You'd expect people who are pumping for a more premium brand to at least equip the thing! Though I suspect 200sols has hit the nail on the head. A-Classes seem to be the same.
Golfs seem to generally have more kit.

Man of Honour
I'm having to! Wouldn't care - in terms of practicality and size it's exactly what we need but just so poorly equipped! Qashqai is looking more appealing just in terms of the gear it comes with but I much prefer the BMW engine.

Could a 1 series and a Qashqai be any more different?! One is a Crossover with a 7 seat option the other is a small hatchback without much room in the back...

Caporegime
Could a 1 series and a Qashqai be any more different?! One is a Crossover with a 7 seat option the other is a small hatchback without much room in the back...

Pretty sure the current Qashqai doesn't have a 7 seat option, the old range did though. So what you have is a hatchback of similar size with 5 seats and a 4wd option. Sure 1 rides higher which is something we don't need but the kit they tend to come with is far superior however the engine and general standard of finish aren't.

So yes, they could easily be more different. 1 could be a 2 seater sports car and the other an MPV.

Worth also adding they're pretty much the same size although the boot on the qashqai is about 25% bigger.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom