1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, Apr 12, 2012.

1. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

On my old E39 I got a Continental belt for 20 quid from ECP. They are hardly an unknown brand, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the OEM supplier.

2. Scania

Capodecina

If the £20 belt is oem quality rock on, my dubious comment was on some generic part which that amazon one could well have been.
    I read his post as asking if it was expensive (which it is) but given dealer rates and parts prices then the price he was quoted sounds right for a dealer job.

3. MoRT489

Soldato

I’m guessing that’s not covered by warranty...?

4. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

No it's specifically excluded.

5. Gaygle

Capodecina

I think you have an E93 M3? If so, easiest job I've done on the car.

Literally two screws to take off the air intake scoops which lift out. Then just need a spanner to put on the tensioner to relieve the tension, remove the belt then .put the new belt on. The end. Takes no more than 30 minutes. Pretty sure I could do it in 15mins now.

I should think INA will be the OEM for this as they make all the pulleys in the system, but a Continental or Gates belt are quality alternatives. Total cost for the belt will be about £12-20

6. DarrenM343

Mobster

Anyone know what's covered by a Vehicle Check? I thought my car was due e service in 2000 miles so took the key to the dealer, booked what I assumed was a service but when mentioned a few minor things to check they said £120 an hour for investigation work and stated they don't look at components during a vehicle check. I thought it was due a service so assumed one of concerns would have been looked at when they checked the brakes, one of my concerns was a one off braking problem earlier this week - wobble under under braking after the icy weather last week. Car is fine now and has been for days so now wondering what the heck the vehicle check is if they don't even check stuff like brakes. The car is only worth about £7k trade in now so wondering if it even needs that check, I'd rather keep to servicing now, not underbody checks etc.
    THey gave me a print out and in 1926 miles it's due this vehicle check, then engine oil, fuel filter, air filter etc after at 8700 miles, so only 6700 miles after the vehicle check.
    Car is on nearly 54k miles and well out of warranty and probably even body warranty too (late 2011 car).

7. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

The vehicle check is a visual inspection of the car and various components, it goes up on the ramp etc and they look underneath and check stuff.

It used to be what they did in an Inspection 1 and 2 service but with condition based servicing this element was stripped out so you don't really have a big service anymore, more lots of little ones..

8. jpaul

Soldato

Is the Vehicle check any more probing than what occurs during an MOT really ? hopefully with some bias on known issues.

9. Shoei

Wise Guy

My 118 went in for a vehicle check before going to BMW(end of pcp). Basically said one of the front tires is slightly feathering at the side, cleared the service indicator & £40 + VAT please. Glad i used an independent BMW garage rather than dealer @ £79 for the same thing.

10. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

An end of warranty check (presumably car was 3?) is free of charge.

11. IAmATeaf

Soldato

I didn't even bother to take mine in to get this checked.

12. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

More fool you then, as the entire point is to get stuff done free under a warranty whilst you still can :p

13. IAmATeaf

Soldato

I suppose but then again I had a load of stuff done to the car in Feb, this check would have been in March, under warranty so it didn't seem worth the hassle especially as my nearest dealer is quite a way away.

14. melchy

Soldato

Is the free end of warranty check garage specific or should all BMW garages provide the service. Having done a quick google it looks like something that is only advertised by certain garages.

15. IAmATeaf

Soldato

Most should do it but be warned the level of service from my experience does vary. As it’s warranty work they get paid a lower internal rate so some are loathe to do any work and others don’t mind but it all depends how busy they are with other work that will net them more.

16. Shoei

Wise Guy

Car was out of warranty, just getting it done before it was picked up & sent back. Was just at right time in the scheme to get more for it, so changed it for a Mini Cooper. OH has that i get the 218 Tank.

While i'm here, 3 series GT or 4 series Gran Coupe (with option on a 3xx Tourer). Which one?

17. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

They are mechanically the same car, so if you like the way a 3GT looks it will offer a newer car for the money.

18. IAmATeaf

Soldato

Replying to my own post but I had my front tyres changed, had Asym2 RF before and swapped to Pilot Sport 4S tyres non RF and WOW what a difference they have made.

All the fidgety stuff has gone and the car is so much better to drive now. There is increased tyre noise which I'm hoping will quieten down as the tyres only have a 100 or so miles on them but overall am much happier.

19. EddScott

Sgarrista

My car is due an oil service in 130 miles.

I need a courtesy car but local dealer says they can't provide for 2 weeks. I'll go over the 130 miles.

Is there an allowance for going over?

In other news, I went to local bodyshop and my car has had paint - gutted I missed it. Haven't missed dodgy paint for a long time.

Local dealer not interested. Selling dealer is miles away and cheaper for me to get it fixed locally. Had hoped I could get selling dealer to pay the costs for local dealer to put right but no dice.

20. peige

Mobster

In my experience going over isn't an issue until you get to the second service.. I think mine was due at 48k and I was told if it went over 50k then it was not included in the service pack, I think I was 200 miles short!