BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
I find the DCT gearbox in my Z4 a joy to use. Sure if I have the gearbox in Sport mode and I'm in stop start traffic it's a bit jerky, but in normal mode it's perfect. Why would you have the gearbox in sport mode in traffic though. The paddles have a bit of a delay for my taste, but it's not bad, much better than other cars I've driven with auto/DSG boxes. I was going to get a manual, but a combination of my gf not driving manuals, me needing to use our other car for work trips, and not many Z4s available to buy, pushed me towards the DCT.

Soldato
I have an e92 m3 dct, and I use it in manual mode all the time, I don't like auto as it keeps the gears to high. I agree at low speed it can be very jerky, and it really doesn't like gearing down while it's still gearing up (thinking cruising after going on an Nsl road and getting stuck behind a member of the 40mph brigade). Most of the time it's fine, you just have to work around it, I seem to remember having pdk in a courtesy car boxster and I don't think it was this bad, however this is BMW's first dual clutch box I believe whereas the boxster was a 981. I do miss manual, and I'm not convinced its that much quicker (especially as you can block shift in a manual), I realise you can plant your foot and hold the stick forward but that's quite slow.

Soldato
@Simon - You got the M3 following an S2000 I think didn't you? Do you find the M3 as 'engaging' to drive? I had an S2000 for a few years, and more recently an M140i. The latter I found a but disconnected to drive; obviously the M3 is a different thing entirely - but does it feel sufficiently different to the rest of the 3 series line up? As I the M140 just felt like a faster 1 series.

Soldato
Had the mirror covers swapped on the M2 today. Very happy with the outcome. :)

50023849367_98266acd28_h.jpg

Soldato
If you plant your foot past kick down and then Change down with paddle it will block to the lowest gear. Eg 7th to 3rd
Oh yes I remember that, it was insane :D

Kind of miss it now, I had one with literally every option ticked in blue with the newer idrive.

I changed the wheels to the 18" ones as the 19" were too blingy.

Associate
The DCT isn't good at all at slow speeds however and is actually quite cumbersome to drive.

I think yours must have been older software or just plain broken.

On my 2012 E92 (and later with GTS software) and my 2018 M2, the DCT box is fine at low speeds.

You need to drive it slightly differently to a torque convertor auto, but I never find myself missing the ZF8 of either the X3 that shared the driveway with the M3, The M135i that preceeded the M2 or the Disco 4 that shares the driveway with the M2.

That said, I own(ed) both while they were fairly new, I don't know if the situation changes as the clutch packs wear.

Don
I think yours must have been older software or just plain broken.

On my 2012 E92 (and later with GTS software) and my 2018 M2, the DCT box is fine at low speeds.

You need to drive it slightly differently to a torque convertor auto, but I never find myself missing the ZF8 of either the X3 that shared the driveway with the M3, The M135i that preceeded the M2 or the Disco 4 that shares the driveway with the M2.

That said, I own(ed) both while they were fairly new, I don't know if the situation changes as the clutch packs wear.

mine had 18k on the clock and has been jerky ever since, and my previous wagon had 11k (and had a complete DCT rebuild under warranty) - both are crappy at low speed. Like I said, I've tried GTS, CS and custom BM3 maps, all are equally poor.

It's cool, I don't doubt your claims, stroke your car, safe int he knowledge you are one of the lucky ones ;)

Soldato
I have to say that 95% of the time the DCT in my F80 is great, but very occasionaly at creeping speed it will judder about a bit or change gear a bit unexpectedly with a lurch. On the whole though it's a pretty great gearbox.

Soldato
Oh yes I remember that, it was insane :D

Kind of miss it now, I had one with literally every option ticked in blue with the newer idrive.

I changed the wheels to the 18" ones as the 19" were too blingy.

Try planting it in manual, it won't kick down unless you hold the gearstick forward (which has to be done for a second or so). In auto obviously nothing needs to be touched it will just do it when the accelerator is pressed.

Caporegime
mine had 18k on the clock and has been jerky ever since, and my previous wagon had 11k (and had a complete DCT rebuild under warranty) - both are crappy at low speed. Like I said, I've tried GTS, CS and custom BM3 maps, all are equally poor.

It's cool, I don't doubt your claims, stroke your car, safe int he knowledge you are one of the lucky ones ;)

I thought it was widely acknowledged they weren't the smoothest at low speeds? It's down to the very nature of a dct! They're designed to function at high speeds which is where they garner the best performance.

Soldato
From an economy perspective, more gears, frequently higher top, are they/DCT more or less mandatory ? resale market value too - I'm resigned to it.
(At extra urban, there has been some economy benefit from manual, but, if you consider, the average A/M roads)

Not having driven a BEV, I'm suprised torque is so linear, that you don't miss having a gearbox, albeit, some/porsche now have a 2-speed, increasing trend.

Back
Top Bottom