BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
But I'm not talking about roundabouts or anything like that - have a scroll back and actually read. I've been talking about low speed precision, something that the DCT box is bad at.

For the hard of reading/thinking: From a complete stop, try to move a DCT car forward six inches (as if there was a parked car in front of you) as smoothly as you could with a ZF8.

Hint: It isn't as smooth.

You can't roll slightly off the brake and have the TC creep nudge you forward. You must come off the brake and ever-so-gently apply the throttle, at which point the clutch will engage and you'll move forward. Sometimes that's slow-ish, sometimes that's surprisingly violent (in the context of not hitting a parked car in front of you). Either way, it isn't as smooth as a regular auto or a manual car.
I do find mine kangaroos when cold for a couple of mins, but only between 2 and 3000 revs. Higher or lower than that is fine, as when it's warmed up.

Associate
But I'm not talking about roundabouts or anything like that - have a scroll back and actually read. I've been talking about low speed precision, something that the DCT box is bad at.

For the hard of reading/thinking: From a complete stop, try to move a DCT car forward six inches (as if there was a parked car in front of you) as smoothly as you could with a ZF8.

You can't roll slightly off the brake and have the TC creep nudge you forward. You must come off the brake and ever-so-gently apply the throttle, at which point the clutch will engage and you'll move forward. Sometimes that's slow-ish, sometimes that's surprisingly violent (in the context of not hitting a parked car in front of you). Either way, it isn't as smooth as a regular auto or a manual car.

If I take my foot off the brake and don't press the accelerator it gently propels me forward at something like 0.5mph, unless I'm on a slight hill. My car park is slightly elevated for the first few feet and it stops there. I've driven both DCT and ZFs (admittedly only one DCT, and a few ZFs) and I never thought there was any difference in how it reacts in slow speed/from a stop. The main difference is the violence of up-changing when pressing on and the difference in gearing due to extra gear in the ZF8. In contrast, my DSG, as soon as I take my foot off the brake it will move forwards with (what I consider to be) a high acceleration, so have to be really careful to press the brake immediately if I'm doing very very tiny manoeuvre. That isn't a kangarooing motion as a result of the coupling of the engine with the gearbox, but more like the engine revving quite highly when my foot comes off the brake.

I can move my Z4 mm's at a time, never mind inches, whereas with the DSG I can perhaps do 2 inches at a time (without making everyone throw up!).

I test drove both ZFs and DCT Z4s before ending up in a DCT, and in honesty I didn't mind either as they both performed very well, with the DCT having the upper hand due to the more 'violent' shifting when pressing on. I only got a DCT as this particular car was in the specification and colour combination I wanted.

This is my personal experience with the multitude of cars I have driven from a variety of car manufacturers and a variety of automatic gearboxes.

Caporegime
Manually change into a higher gear will stop it. If it’s kangarooing it probably will do it in a manual anyway. The dct clutches are engaged then the gearbox can’t really do anything, however by their nature they are rather binary

it’s likely a manual you would blend the clutch to overcome any jerkyness due to BMWs aggressive cold start. This is probably the real issue. The cold start and impact on engine. The gearbox is probably irrelevant.

Soldato

Yes this is all so true.

From what I remember creeping up a hill was a bit annoying too and I think it would roll back on gradients too.

Essentially the normal auto box from the ISF was superior 95% of the time, including when pressing on.

Caporegime
Well it's not because it wouldn't do it with a conventional auto would it.
But it’s a manual that a computer controls. So to my point. If you understand how they work and you don’t keep comparing them to automatics you can drive around any issues.

(go up a gear when it’s stuck itself in first and refused to change up as its still in cold start)

Soldato
Both my DTC M2's (Comp, and the previous non-comp) were a little harsh when cold, and that's coming from an underground car park. I'd often find myself lurching up the hill to the gate. It's normally over and done with after a couple of minutes though, I've learned to just ignore it.

Weirdly, I've found sticking it in Sport+ to reverse in to my fairly tight space is far easier than in Comfort - comfort can make it a bit.....unpredictible as how much you're actually going to move!

Hated the manual in my first M2, which is why I only had it about 3 weeks. Convinced that car was knackered tbh.

Soldato
Hey beemer people, is there a reason 640d Gran Coupes are so cheap? How would you say they compare to a similar aged A7 in terms of running costs? Please don't say they're a money pit :p

Examples:
yV65wrZ.png

Man of Honour
They're not that cheap, you've just posted a list of high mileage ones and insurance write-offs. The SE models are less desirable too.

They are basically a better looking 535d and therefore command similar money.

It's a gamble really, it's a complex twin turbo diesel with 8 speed auto. I wouldn't be interested without a warranty which isn't a viable option on any of those cars listed.

Soldato
Yeah that's a nasty price spot of being not a trivial priced car that you can just bin if it breaks down, but with enough miles for things to start breaking.

I don't know what the odds would be of one of them being a good'un that didn't need any scary expensive maintenance, versus hitting you with a massive bill in the first year. Probably not great.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
It's a gamble really, it's a complex twin turbo diesel with 8 speed auto. I wouldn't be interested without a warranty which isn't a viable option on any of those cars listed.
This is the real answer to the question as to why these cars are quite cheap and comparative bargains. The same is true for all higher end cars, they become relatively cheaper and cheaper the more complex that they are (perceived to be).

Soldato
They are the cheapest yes but other than having too many owners I wouldn't say they are bottom of the barrel cars at that price.

Take this one, 2013, £14k, one owner, 59k miles, M sport
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002177411629?radius=80&advertising-location=at_cars&model=6 SERIES GRAN COUPE&sort=price-asc&postcode=cv213qr&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&make=BMW&page=1

Seems like a lot of car for the money? People will spend that much on an A-class.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Higher end cars are always comparative bargains for the reasons above :) In the BMW stable anything 5-series above goes slightly off piste when they go out of warranty, and therefore are all like it. You can get a 7-series for similar money too. As they age you get to a situation where the lower end models almost end up being worth more than the high end ones, MY for MY.

Soldato
Oh I know the big expensive cars will cost more to look after, hasn't this sort of thing improved in recent years though? Surely nothing catastrophic on a 6-7 year old car (although my neighbours '19 4 series did set itself on fire on the motorway:eek:)

Man of Honour
But these are 6 to 7 year old cars with numerous owners, bigger miles and or are insurance write-offs. You've picked the bottom of the market. The nicer ones are a safer bet but if course don't cost 12k.

If you want trouble free then don't start with one someone else has smashed up first?

Back
Top Bottom