1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, Apr 12, 2012.

1. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

If you're that bothered the 530d LCI will map to over 300bhp which is probably far more sensible then tuning an older 535d. The 535d he has posted has the older engine too, which is only 299bhp versus the 258bhp in the revised engine in the 530d.

The first 18 months of the F10 all had the older first gen N57 straight out of the E90.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  2. Vita

Capodecina

Always thought pre lci and lci f10s had the 313ps n57 unit?

Does this also apply to the pre/lci f3x?

3. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

They do, but the first pre LCI did not. The new engine was MY12 onwards - pre LCI cars manufactured late 2011 onwards.

This car is an 11 plate so before that.

It's still an N57, but the first generation.

4. Vita

Capodecina

Good to know. I’ve only ever been around late MY12 cars. Guess it’s similar in sense to how the early e60 versions were.

I’m awaiting on the m340d. See how that fairs out, as I imagine it to be a good all round car.

5. Dis86

Capodecina

For all the reasons posted many times. Reduced engine life, increased risk of mechanical failure, additional cost.

6. Vita

Capodecina

If it’s done properly than it’s very minute in terms of reliability.

7. Dis86

Capodecina

Then why don't manufacturers map it to those levels as default? Why will they generally void a warranty for doing it?

8. IAmATeaf

Soldato

I’d think that it was more emissions and mpg that they focus on and not out and out power?

9. Dis86

Capodecina

That's defeated by the x30d vs x35d vs m50d though. Why make the x35 or m50d if they're focussed on mpg and lower emissions?

People can and do remap the 30d to a 35d power equivalent and the same with the 35d to 50d. BMW already have those more powerful offerings but with different components bolted on to the engine. There's a reason they have differing components and not just a higher state of tune.

10. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Exactly - the M50d develops similar power to a mapped 35d but it does this not with an ecu flash but with a triple turbo setup - hardly cheap to go to that level of complexity if all they needed was a bloke with a laptop...

11. Tenzo

Wise Guy

Quick question - Do BMW operate a fixed price approach on approved used, or as I suspect, am I being given some negotiation patter.

I could believe it to an extent, as given the advent of the internet, knowing a bad deal is a bit clearer nowadays.

12. Havana_UK

Mobster

It will depend on how keenly priced any particular car is and what you have (if anything) to trade in, whether you're taking finance, or not, etc.

If the car you're looking at is already the cheapest example on the market don't expect to be able to negotiate the price down, but if there's 5 or 10 of them and they are similarly spec'd look at how the price of the specific vehicle in question compares.

You may also be able to get other "discounts", e.g. I know some forum members have successfully negotiated 2 years of approved used warranty, rather than the standard 1 year for example.

13. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

There is one dealer group that does operate on a fixed price only basis but all the others will negotiate if they think that's what it'll take to sell.

14. Tenzo

Wise Guy

Cheers guys, appreciate the feedback.

I've decided to spend a bit more, try and get a car that will (in theory) last a bit longer. The good lady is requesting a Touring as a result (kids, holidays, potential dog). The lure of a late F10 remains strong (and initial outlay cheaper) but the longer term practicality is a blocker. Now looking at 2018/19 low mileage 330d Tourers - Pro Nav, HK and whatever else is a bonus.

Still taking the time to look at all options though, as in no massive rush

Superb 272 - Would be fun but quality not quite the same
    Mercedes C43 - Engine unreal, no premiums in price/age range.
    Mercedes c300d - premium package models price up well against similar age 330d. It's no straight six though
    Golf R/Cupra ST - would be fun, but not a long term car.
    F11 - higher miles and warranty cost put me off
    G31 - too expensive or too high mileage

15. jpaul

Capodecina

is merc cla tourer more 3 series size ?, it has the looks over the tourer, still pretty exclusive too.
    the bm straight six petrols have the sonority vs diesels - and without that in the newer bm's, the cla appeals, albeit versatility/access not as good.

16. Dis86

Capodecina

CLA is a funny one. based on the a-class but bigger than an f31

17. theone8181

Mobster

I always thought they were more 1 series size.

18. roadie

Mobster

If you're after a family car you could do worse than the 2 series active tourer. It's a bit left field, but is highly practical. My dad bought the 225i and I'm impressed with it.

19. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

The CLA is only available with 4 cylinder engines though.

20. Jonnycoupe

Capodecina

Same as it’s competition BMW? 1 series aligned to the A class and the coupe version the 2Gran Coupe with the GLA aligned to the X1 or X2.

same story in the Audi camp other than then RS3