BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Nice, I picked one up over the weekend too! :D Call these M Lites or people with M cars will eat you alive :p

Spec: Adaptive Suspension | HK | ProNav (Updated Firmware for Auto Car Play)| PDC | BCD | Heated Leathers | Cruise Control | Upgraded Intercooler with Guards | 1 Previous Keeper & BMW FSH (Had plugs, oils, filters etc. changed) Most importantly it has all original paintwork!
2021-05-03-19-4324234.jpg
Haha i'll remember that for the future! Having owned it since Friday, i'm still abit shocked at how good the engine is for such a small car. The B58 engine really is quite something.

The open diff has caught me out though, so im looking at a LSD now especially if the wifes gonna drive it too.

Soldato
Nice, I picked one up over the weekend too! :D Call these M Lites or people with M cars will eat you alive :p

Spec: Adaptive Suspension | HK | ProNav (Updated Firmware for Auto Car Play)| PDC | BCD | Heated Leathers | Cruise Control | Upgraded Intercooler with Guards | 1 Previous Keeper & BMW FSH (Had plugs, oils, filters etc. changed) Most importantly it has all original paintwork!
2021-05-03-19-4324234.jpg

Nice!

Sounds similar to mine in regards to options! Although, what is BCD? Mine has the heated wheel, and I did want to do the stone guard but apparently it needs different brackets on the radiator and all sorts... so I just done the mesh thing!

Mine just had a major service before I bought it too, so plugs, oil, filters all done :) I think its next want is some rear brake pads.

Soldato
So dropped my e92 m3 off at stratstone today. It sounds like an injector has stuck and the engine needs stripping down. Fortunately I have the extended warranty, but they still have to ask the warranty company if they can go ahead:rolleyes:. I might need to return the courtesy car part way through the repair, but just wondered what my options are. Does the extended warranty provide a car for repairs or not? In case this sounds familiar I've posted it on m3 cutters. What's worrying is that when I booked it in last week (for today) I was told I'd get a courtesy car for as long as I needed it. When I turned up today apparently the courtesy car wasn't even booked:rolleyes:, and I might need to return the car early. On the plus side I've got a 330e, which is reasonable pace, if a little disjointed when you floor it. I think its the digital dash but it looks quite smart. Me likely (apart from lack of power).

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Step dad popped round earlier (just parked up on the drive, socially distant and all) with his new M4 comp.

I’m pleasantly surprised how much car you get for the money, 18 plate for £35k with some nice options on it.

One thing he mentioned is that when the ignition turns on in the black panel display in the dash it comes up with ‘GTS’, can we assume it’s had the GTS gearbox map on it then? Any way to tell if it has (bear in mind he has no ‘normal’ m4 gearbox map to compare it to, so just saying it’ll feel different won’t do the trick ;) )

Man of Honour
One thing he mentioned is that when the ignition turns on in the black panel display in the dash it comes up with ‘GTS’, can we assume it’s had the GTS gearbox map on it then?

All this means is someone has changed the startup graphic. It could just as easily be made to say M550d.

Soldato
Picked up a M235i convertible last week in estoril blue / oyster and the following spec:

- Anthracite soft top
- Wind deflector
- Folding anti dazzle mirrors
- Memory & heated seats with lumbar support
- Through load
- Black panel display
- Adaptive xenon headlights with high beam assist and washers
- Pro nav
- PDC with reverse camera
- BMW online services
- Real time traffic information
- Remote services
- Concierge services
- Cruise control
- HK sound
- Speed limit display
- Comfort access
- Sport automatic transmition with gearsh

So it had everything I wanted except adaptive suspension which was always going to be difficult, and then a load of stuff I wasn't particularly looking for but happy to accept :p

I've been loving it so far and spent the long weekend getting up early to enjoy the empty country roads. It's certainly a big step up from my Fiesta :D.

A few questions for those who might have experience:
  • The cabin seems a bit rattly when the roof is up and driving down a bumpy road, and being a BMW I thought it would be a bit more refined. Is this abnormal or just something you have to live with being a convertible?
  • RTTI seems to require a subscription - is that right? I would have thought if listed as an option by the dealer you wouldn't then need to pay more on top to access it. The nav seems fairly rubbish as it stands and gets ETAs wildly wrong, and it'd be a shame to mount a phone when the pro nav screen is so nice and would otherwise be wasted.
  • Still trying to figure out the climate control as it doesn't seem to try too hard to reach the desired temperature. For example, if i set it at to 16 degrees and its warm outside, I'd generally expect the fans to go up to max until the desired temperature is reached, however the fan speed seems to stay the same regardless of the temperature its set at. It's definitely capable of getting up to max as it does so when I press the max air con button. There's also the mystery red/blue dial in between the middle vents which seems to drastically change the air temperature depending on the setting. Not sure where to set this dial as the desired air temperature is surely dependant on whether I want the car warmed up or cooled down, which is the whole point of climate control :confused:

Soldato
I had a 16 year old z4 and its roof never rattled so something needs looking at I would say. The subscription is just for updated maps I think. Do you have the option to use android auto? You can use the map feature from your phone then.

Soldato
I don't think so as Android Auto wasn't added to BMWs until 2019. It seems that Apple Carplay can be retrofitted but even that's not ideal as my iPhone is only my work phone so I don't always have it with me

Man of Honour
I wouldn't accept a rattly cabin on an M235i, shouldn't be doing that. That being said, the 1 and 2 Series aren't exactly the best quality generally.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
All this means is someone has changed the startup graphic. It could just as easily be made to say M550d.

Just seems weird to set it to GTS as whilst yes it’s the ‘top’ model it’s a largely pointless exercise (but then people do do pointless things…)

Only made me think more of they’ve set the logo to that has it been tinkered with on the gearbox map front as it’s a cheap and popular mod.

Whoever owned it stuck one of those M Performance steering wheels on it as well aftermarket as it’s not listed in the original spec sheet, it looks quite smart even with the light show it puts on.

Soldato
I imagine it was a silly option to fiddle with in one of those Bluetooth code readers. A lot of folk did on the Jaguar's to get the XF R start up screen or Land Rover compass...

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I get it that people with a 420d wanting an M logo and changing it, but M4 to GTS just seems odd and even more pointless!

Still would like a way to check to see if there’s been a ‘box map.

Man of Honour
I had a 16 year old z4 and its roof never rattled so something needs looking at I would say. The subscription is just for updated maps I think.

I've never driven a BMW convertible that didn't rattle and both of the Z4 in the family do. Unfortunately rattles are a hazard with a convertible especially on which being an M235 is at least 5 years old. The body isn't as stiff as a coupe for obvious reasons and the 1/2 series don't have the same build quality as a 6 series.

As for the subscription, RTTI is a subscription package which you have to pay for annually. I paid £99 a year for the Connected Package Plus which gives RTTI, map updates and some other bits I don't use.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I know the logo is a coding thing, I get that.

Aside from the logo though I ‘d like to know if there’s a way to check the box mapping.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Picked up a M235i convertible
  • Still trying to figure out the climate control as it doesn't seem to try too hard to reach the desired temperature. For example, if i set it at to 16 degrees and its warm outside, I'd generally expect the fans to go up to max until the desired temperature is reached, however the fan speed seems to stay the same regardless of the temperature its set at. It's definitely capable of getting up to max as it does so when I press the max air con button. There's also the mystery red/blue dial in between the middle vents which seems to drastically change the air temperature depending on the setting. Not sure where to set this dial as the desired air temperature is surely dependant on whether I want the car warmed up or cooled down, which is the whole point of climate control :confused:
Why would you want the climate control to be intrusive? Set the temp you want and let it get there nice and quietly.
The wheel is literally the best thing about a BMW and I can’t believe they got rid of it in a lot of models after the E46/38/39 generation. It allows you to quickly modify the temperature coming out of the vents without changing the overall temperature of the CC. I’m sure Fox will be along shortly so extol its virtues!

Soldato
I guess it depends how warm it is outside, if its boiling I want to be cooled down quickly. There is the option of the max setting but I was expecting less user intervention :p

Back
Top Bottom