BMW and M Power Owners

I just use whichever fuel grade the manufacturer recommends - which they presumably do so for a reason. Not sure why you'd want to do otherwise?
I was just curious as to what happens on RON 95. I'll be going somewhere where it won't be easily accessible so wanted to ask :)

It’s not a huge difference to just fill up with 99? If it’s that much of a concern regarding price difference, why own an M2?
Not in UK - price difference of 20ppl. Seems pointless for 1500 motorway miles!

So the M2 is currently averaging low 20s, as I've been enjoying it rather a lot :o
However, even motorway cruising is compromised due to the lack of 7th gear.

I assume being a BMW it won't blow up if I stick 95 in it for long distance cruising? It's the N55 and not the S55 engine, if that makes any difference. Ta.

How fast are you cruising, our N55 M2 manual which was remapped to 400HP would see 32-35mpg on a long run with speeds of 55-75mph typically. Was certainly never under 30, not even at like say 85mph.

now that they've changed ron95 to e10 and left the ron 98/99 at e5...definitely can notice the difference in throttle response and also fuel efficiency
with my 440i i get ~10% less mpg with e10 than e5, and more sluggish acceleration

Reactions: mjt
How fast are you cruising, our N55 M2 manual which was remapped to 400HP would see 32-35mpg on a long run with speeds of 55-75mph typically. Was certainly never under 30, not even at like say 85mph.
TBF I haven't done much motorway cruising, hence the amazing mpg :p
It'll be mainly Germany anyway so triple digits for the most part, hence trying to save a little and use 95 as I'll be filling up all the time due to the tiny tank
Yes I know I can save even more by driving sensibly but I'm an idiot.

now that they've changed ron95 to e10 and left the ron 98/99 at e5...definitely can notice the difference in throttle response and also fuel efficiency
with my 440i i get ~10% less mpg with e10 than e5, and more sluggish acceleration
Interestingly in Germany you can get both E5 95 and E10 95. Haven't seen that anywhere else..

Last edited:
i "upgraded" from a '63 N20 428i to a '18 B58 440i, so basically the same engines as to what you have and what you're looking to get
the petrol consumption is roughly similar (urban inner city miles the 28i is a slight bit more frugal than the 40i but not by much, however on motorway miles the 40i is a lot more efficient than the 28i)
the only difference is that you move up the insurance bands so that's more expensive
the insured warranty is exactly the same regardless of engine as both my cars were the same model (i'm not sure if bmw differentiates between the 3gt and the x3 for insured warranty purposes...fox may know)

performance-wise, not even close. 360hp vs 245hp, torque curve and throttle response hands down 40i wins
I was having a look at a Range Rover Sport but the insurance / reliability put me off. Insurance on an x3 should be reasonable, think i pay 400 odd a year at the moment. Noticed the tax is high at 600 a year compared to the near 300 i pay not. I like my car i have now but with getting a tadge older the sitting down into it is a bit of a pain. I'd only be looking at approved used so i don't have to worry about service history / warrenty.
There is absolutely no way a petrol 3 Series does 34mpg urban driving. If you're just doing short trips of under about 5 miles, in town and often from cold then no engine is going to be particularly economical and what you're getting sounds about right. I once did a month of just very short trips to and from work in a 530d and the tank averaged about the same as you're getting.
That's good to hear, my driving is pretty much all under a few miles at a time apart from when we go on holiday. I'm moving house over the next few weeks to a bit further out but even then it's 5 miles or so away.

Interestingly in Germany you can get both E5 95 and E10 95. Haven't seen that anywhere else..
E10 is such a scam. Much cheaper for them to sell inferior fuel and was sold to the government as better for the environment with only a 1% decrease in fuel economy when the reality is much worse. Yet us mugs pay the same price for E10 as E5.

Last edited:
E10 is such a scam. Much cheaper for them to sell inferior fuel and was sold to the government as better for the environment with only a 1% decrease in fuel economy when the reality is much worse. Yet us mugs pay the same price for E10 as E5.

I’ve seen tests which suggest E10 still contains low concentrations of ethanol - not even 10%.

From memory, E10 is up to 10%.

Not at all scientific, but a reasonable snapshot of the (complicated) situation:

I've tried both on my M140 and noticed absolutely no difference with either performance or MPG

Not at all scientific, but a reasonable snapshot of the (complicated) situation:
fascinating so if you buy esso standard 95, may have only 2% ethanol .... so seems the ron of ethanol is 120+, so, rest of fuel can be poorer quality(cheaper) ?, is it simon who knows about this.
On filling up with E5 the increased power on na6 is evident, and usually try it leaving A10 bp petrol station, but good to know that the 95 won't be rotting the pipes in my car as much.

- After seeing underbody pictures of the restored e46/M3, I'm thinking an underbody photograph of any car older that 10years or so should be mandatory on AT -
sub-frame bushing on mine could do with an update. geebo lets see your nice red E30 325.

Thoughts on this car?

2 owners, low mileage, DCT and M2 Plus + Comfort Pack. It was originally sold by that dealer from new and then sold back to them when the previous female owner moved to an M4. Bodywork is in fantastic condition (apparently).

A member of the M2 Facebook group took it out for a drive and didn't notice anything wrong (didn't buy as he said wanted Sapphire Black).

I think it's priced about £1k too high as a car with identical spec, mileage and age sold at £35,111 from Stratstone Leeds last week. It has been up for sale for around 4 weeks and sold but the deal fell through, hence why it's still available. Potentially some room for negotiation.

I'm only asking as it's an 8 hour round trip to go see it, so it would be good for another set of eyes to sanity check it for me.

Thoughts on this car?

2 owners, low mileage, DCT and M2 Plus + Comfort Pack. It was originally sold by that dealer from new and then sold back to them when the previous female owner moved to an M4. Bodywork is in fantastic condition (apparently).

A member of the M2 Facebook group took it out for a drive and didn't notice anything wrong (didn't buy as he said wanted Sapphire Black).

I think it's priced about £1k too high as a car with identical spec, mileage and age sold at £35,111 from Stratstone Leeds last week. It has been up for sale for around 4 weeks and sold but the deal fell through, hence why it's still available. Potentially some room for negotiation.

I'm only asking as it's an 8 hour round trip to go see it, so it would be good for another set of eyes to sanity check it for me.
Is there a closer Ipswich dealer they could move it to?

Is there a closer Ipswich dealer they could move it to?
I could ask but it won't make much difference, as the alternatives are Reading, Norwich, Chelmsford and Colchester. I'll be travelling from Manchester, so a long journey whatever the case.

Back
Top Bottom