BMW and M Power Owners

You can get one new for not much over 40k so I'd assume this is a fair bet.

I saw one or two at around £41k but they weren't floating my boat, however it does give me a glimmer of hope that they'll come down to the price level I'm aiming for. Hopefully some decently spec'd models get traded in early next year.

I saw one or two at around £41k but they weren't floating my boat, however it does give me a glimmer of hope that they'll come down to the price level I'm aiming for. Hopefully some decently spec'd models get traded in early next year.
They seem pretty well specced as standard. What spec are you looking for in particular?

I'm finding myself doing longer drives (2.5h each way) for work and I'm a bit nervous about doing it in my car - a 2003 330ci. The mpg doesn't bother me considering I don't have a commute anymore, it's more a (perceived and actual) lack of reliability!

I've been meaning to replace it as my "fairly fun" car anyway so this might have sped that up.

So where I am going with this is I want something just as fast (~250hp) but reliable, like my partner's fiesta where you just turn the key and go without thinking.

I've come across this at the top of my budget. Whilst I could talk to you all day about E46 specs I don't know the first thing about whether this is a good spec 2 series. It doesn't seem it, unless stuff on my E46 is so basic that it doesn't get mentioned e.g. auto wipers, xenon lights, auto lights, heated seats.
Also Would a 2 series be comfortable on the motorway?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104131297269?atmobcid=soc3

I'm finding myself doing longer drives (2.5h each way) for work and I'm a bit nervous about doing it in my car - a 2003 330ci. The mpg doesn't bother me considering I don't have a commute anymore, it's more a (perceived and actual) lack of reliability!

I've been meaning to replace it as my "fairly fun" car anyway so this might have sped that up.

So where I am going with this is I want something just as fast (~250hp) but reliable, like my partner's fiesta where you just turn the key and go without thinking.

I've come across this at the top of my budget. Whilst I could talk to you all day about E46 specs I don't know the first thing about whether this is a good spec 2 series. It doesn't seem it, unless stuff on my E46 is so basic that it doesn't get mentioned e.g. auto wipers, xenon lights, auto lights, heated seats.
Also Would a 2 series be comfortable on the motorway?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104131297269?atmobcid=soc3

That really isn't a brilliant spec - it lacks even cruise control.

For your usage you'd be better off with a 4 Series Gran Coupe M Sport - these will come as standard with Pro Nav, cruise etc.

I don't really like the four door coupe look and I'm in the last few years where I don't need four doors so I want to make the most of it! Is the 4GC a squashed 5 series or 3 series? I think the regular 4 is a 3 underneath. I also don't want it to be much bigger than my current car as our driveway is quite short.

Is this spec better?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104201600836?atmobcid=soc3

What are the key things to look for spec wise on this generation 2/3/4 series? Other than pro nav (I assume that includes the whole screen/ infotainment bit). the only things I would feel I "need" is heated seats and xenons?

They seem pretty well specced as standard. What spec are you looking for in particular?

I haven't looked into it in too much detail since I'm not buying any time soon. The Tech Pack is mandatory but everything else is a nice to have in my opinion.

The Comfort Plus Pack, panoramic roof and adaptive cruise would be lovely, but I imagine that they are exceptionally rare. I also really like Oxide Grey, but very few of them ever show up.

I don't really like the four door coupe look and I'm in the last few years where I don't need four doors so I want to make the most of it! Is the 4GC a squashed 5 series or 3 series? I think the regular 4 is a 3 underneath. I also don't want it to be much bigger than my current car as our driveway is quite short.

Is this spec better?

The 4GC is a 3 Series, but with a hatchback boot essentially.

That 428i is a really very nice spec indeed!

I'm looking at used M3's, M4's and even M5's. Why is the light colour interior so rare (I think it's called Silverstone?), does it wear more than the darker one, ie jeans etc? Also, is there a cheaper way to get the PCP as the APR seems quite high. Then again I might just get a bank loan and use some savings and buy it outright.

I really like the look of this one and it doesn't have the stupid black wheels on it, but again it's the dark interior:
https://www.dicklovett.co.uk/bmw/used-cars/2019-bmw-m4-coupe-competition-package-2-door-1

Light interiors seem to be rarer than dark/black full stop in my experience. My F80 is Opal White interior and it doesn't suffer from colour transfer (from my jeans at least) though it definitely shows the dirt more than a darker colour. I'm at about 73k miles in mine and there's some wear apparent on the edge of the bolster (where I get in and out) and a little on the corner of the centre arm rest (where my elbow rubs it sometimes). Other than that it's in good shape really.

I really dislike black interiors, I just think it makes the car look so dull inside. White would definitely have not been my choice, until I saw it. It really looks wonderful in the flesh, and works nicely with Tanzaite blue exterior.

As for PCP, the headline rate is 10.8% or so I think (at least it was when I got mine). I haggled a bit and did the deal at 6% (plus some further discount on the car itself).

Thanks. I'm going to wait a bit I think. I'm around 26 months into my PCP on the M140i and I've just reached positive equity. I need to build up some more as bank loan rates start to get expensive above £25k and I don't really want to burn most of my savings to bridge the gap.

I have ivory in my 7 Series and you'll need to give it the odd wipe with Dr Leather wipes now and again (if you wear jeans often) but it comes off very easily.

@almoststew1990 4 series, as fox says, is a 3 series chassis
the 4 series (both the coupe and GC) are every so slightly larger than the 3...like ~1cm, but sits lower and overall height is lower too
the benefit of the GC compared to the standard 3 is the hatchback boot. rear headroom height on the 4GC is slightly lower though.
the hatchback boot in the 4GC automatically trumps the 3's standard boot IMO...also has fold down seats as standard (i don't think the 3 had fold down seats as standard)

i've owned the 428i coupe and currently own a 440i GC so happy to help with any questions too

don't know whether you've owned a coupe previously, but the long doors can occasionally make it a ***** to exit the car if there isn't a lot of space in a bay parking lot...something to think about too...
but since moving back to a more standard 4(5) door, i do miss the wider opening of a coupe lol

I need to build up some more as bank loan rates start to get expensive above £25k and I don't really want to burn most of my savings to bridge the gap.
Exactly why I went the PCP route in the end. It's worked out well really...I based it on 25k miles / year, and because of COVID I've only done 56k miles in 3 and a bit years so I've actually got quite a bit of equity in the car now.

Exactly why I went the PCP route in the end. It's worked out well really...I based it on 25k miles / year, and because of COVID I've only done 56k miles in 3 and a bit years so I've actually got quite a bit of equity in the car now.

But unless the car was new you've likely done this whilst paying a huge interest rate. That's the issue with PCP on used cars.

That equity is just a product of a higher monthly cost vs committing to a lower mileage though, surely?

But unless the car was new you've likely done this whilst paying a huge interest rate. That's the issue with PCP on used cars.
Not awful (compared to borrowing that much money as a bank loan - as Chris said over £25k and the interest rate on loans isn't good). I got 6% APR on the PCP from BMW. They originally told me it would be 10.8%!
That equity is just a product of a higher monthly cost vs committing to a lower mileage though, surely?
The equity is purely good fortune thanks to COVID and me doing WAY less miles as a consequence, but I'll take it all the same :)

The equity is purely good fortune thanks to COVID and me doing WAY less miles as a consequence, but I'll take it all the same :)
Yeah I get that, all I meant is that you're paying a higher monthly cost for having a higher mileage commitment. I remember doing the same (20k commitment) on the Z4 and ended up with a bit of equity at the end. Definitely didn't make PCP a good deal, though, when I looked at the total cost to own :p

Back
Top Bottom