BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
Lots of collective BMW wisdom here... Thoughts on this? https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11868633

Is it overpriced and if I want to go and check it out, is there anything I should be looking out for?

That looks really nice other than the awful wheels which it should be a priority to rid yourself of.

The price is almost irrelevant - these are incredibly rare cars now (They were never particularly common in the first place) so you need to ask yourself whether you'd find another, how much cheaper it'd be if you did and whether it's worth the saving. Likely, the answer is no.

Just make sure you're aware of what this is - a 20 year old enthusiasts car. It's going to go wrong, quite a lot, and you're going to have fun chasing constant issues but the reward for this will be one of the finest cars BMW has ever made, in my opinion. You need to really want one of these for it to be worth the effort - don't buy it if you want 'a car', buy it if you really want an E39.

Soldato
That looks really nice other than the awful wheels which it should be a priority to rid yourself of.

The price is almost irrelevant - these are incredibly rare cars now (They were never particularly common in the first place) so you need to ask yourself whether you'd find another, how much cheaper it'd be if you did and whether it's worth the saving. Likely, the answer is no.

Just make sure you're aware of what this is - a 20 year old enthusiasts car. It's going to go wrong, quite a lot, and you're going to have fun chasing constant issues but the reward for this will be one of the finest cars BMW has ever made, in my opinion. You need to really want one of these for it to be worth the effort - don't buy it if you want 'a car', buy it if you really want an E39.
Apart from the wheels being a bit scuffed, didn't think there was too much wrong with them :p they look pretty standard.

What wheels were available and OEM at the time? Are there wheels that are considered 'better'?

I'll definitely budget for things going wrong as you're right it's coming up to 20 years old, but seems like a lovely way to experience an old fashioned V8 and it looks in pretty good nick for the age

Man of Honour
Apart from the wheels being a bit scuffed, didn't think there was too much wrong with them :p they look pretty standard.

What wheels were available and OEM at the time? Are there wheels that are considered 'better'?

They are 19 inch wheels from the E60 5 Series - they don't suit the car and are 2 inches larger than any wheel offered on the E39 Touring. The standard wheels are those which you can see in the boot and are 17".

I'll definitely budget for things going wrong as you're right it's coming up to 20 years old, but seems like a lovely way to experience an old fashioned V8 and it looks in pretty good nick for the age

I agree, it looks like as good an example as you could hope to find.

Soldato
Any F40 M135i owners on here? If so, thoughts/feedback on the car?
Yep, love it as it’s got enough power when needed but I can just pootle about with it in comfort mode and it’s happy and comfortable, the system update that allows the lane assist to be turned off was an absolute godsend

Associate
Yep, love it as it’s got enough power when needed but I can just pootle about with it in comfort mode and it’s happy and comfortable, the system update that allows the lane assist to be turned off was an absolute godsend

Any issues so far with uneven wear on the tyres or any problems with the Harman Kardon system? (If you have that option of course)? They seem to be fairly common issues I’ve read so far.

Soldato
Any issues so far with uneven wear on the tyres or any problems with the Harman Kardon system? (If you have that option of course)? They seem to be fairly common issues I’ve read so far.
Don’t have the , I’ve not notice an uneven tyre wear but we’ve only had it since December and have only done just over 2000 miles but I’ll look at them but as I don’t push it I’m sort of hoping there’s not too much wear on them.

That video is the old carnation of the M135i as the F40 is 2l twin turbo with Xdrive as standard

Associate
I’m sort of hoping there’s not too much wear on them.

Definitely worth checking, the tyre pressures that are recommended and set by the factory/BMW appear to be very high (same on the new Audi S3 it seems), presumably to reduce rolling resistance and get closer to the claimed mpg figures, but many seem to be reporting its causing problems and reducing the pressures helps a lot.

Soldato
Definitely worth checking, the tyre pressures that are recommended and set by the factory/BMW appear to be very high (same on the new Audi S3 it seems), presumably to reduce rolling resistance and get closer to the claimed mpg figures, but many seem to be reporting its causing problems and reducing the pressures helps a lot.
Hmm funny you should mention that as the wife got back from the gym last night and said it's saying the tyre pressures are low, I was going to check today when I have 10 minutes

Back
Top Bottom