BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
@Dis86 means you can tune a 20i to a 28i levels of hp/torque no? Assuming that as you say a 520i has the same box as a 528i
The only thing I've heard that the engine differs is that the quality of the pistons are lower in a 20i than a 28i/30i. Don't know if true and can't verify.

Caporegime
@Dis86 means you can tune a 20i to a 28i levels of hp/torque no? Assuming that as you say a 520i has the same box as a 528i
The only thing I've heard that the engine differs is that the quality of the pistons are lower in a 20i than a 28i/30i. Don't know if true and can't verify.

You could do it with a 5 series but a 3 or 4 risks box issues.

Man of Honour
My previous N20 428i had a 8hp45. The b48 420i also uses the 8hp45.
I think the b48 430i has the 8hp50 though (same as the 440i).
Not sure about the N20 420i though

Soldato
Don't know if true and can't verify.
repost ->
Today there are 3 versions of this cylinder: UL, OL and TOP.

• UL stands for lower-performance, the piston is made out of a simple aluminum-alloy, the crankshaft is simple-forged and uses a sintered connecting rod. It can cover up to 25kw/75nm per cylinder and is used in models like the x16d, x18d and x25d (exept the f10 model after 2011)

• OL stands for upper-perfomance, the cylinder path is honed several times, it has forged connecting rods and the bearings of the rods and crankshaft are sputtered bearing. It can cover up to 35kw/100nm and is used in models like x20d, x30d.

• TOP is for high performance, including a special treated crankshaft as well as laser-treated cylinder-paths. With this it is possible to increase injection-pressure and rated speed. This cylinders are used in models like x23d, 525d (after 2011) and x35d/x40d.
Through supercharging you can give any amount of power to a engine, but it will not be able to handle it. So when you think your 118i with its 170hp could do way more, but the stupid people at BMW are just to lazy to get more power out of that engine let me tell you: a 118i is capable of over 300hp, even keeping all emissions in the green zone, but he won't make that for long.
Basically in the automotive industry you can say:
  • not everything is at it seems
  • wenn there is a way to save €, it will be done
  • espacially in the automovie industry many facts from media or magazines/books are incorrect

Regarding damage, these mostly occure long time after the tuning. Usually after 50k-80k km the problems start. Many people do not own the cars anymore by that time, and the subsequent owner doesn't know about the bad suprise that might happen. If a damage is found in the repair shop, they often just change the part and thats it. Often nobody suspects a tuning chip as the main reason (you know.. tuners say "its all good man!)....

Caporegime
It's a 5 door.

The rear tailgate lifts entirely and contains the rear glass, therefore is a door. In the same way a 1 Series is a 5 door and a Vauxhall Insignia is a 5 door but a 3 Series is a 4 door.
I was always on the understanding that if you could enter the cabin via it then it counted as a door.

Soldato
Name a 5 door car where you can’t get into the cabin via the boot.
You mean in the same way as you could access the cabin in a 4 door car if the seats are folded down?
Well you can - the boot provides access to the cabin because there isn't a separate luggage compartment as there is in a saloon.
I think my point was that your earlier definition was correct... the boot provides access to the cabin in the same way as an estate does, so 'providing access to the cabin' is not a good definition of a hatchback

It's a 5 door.

The rear tailgate lifts entirely and contains the rear glass, therefore is a door. In the same way a 1 Series is a 5 door and a Vauxhall Insignia is a 5 door but a 3 Series is a 4 door.

Back
Top Bottom