BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Just picked up a F31 2014 335i touring with 59750 miles :D

Warranty with no roadside and higher excess is £41 a month

Managed close to 40mpg coming home as well around the M25 with the limiter set at 76mph

Man of Honour
BMW don’t hike the price up when you cross the 60k mile threshold if you pay monthly.
Is there a difference in cost between monthly and annual over the course of a year? I highly doubt I'll hit 60k in my F80 so I'll go with whatever option works out cheaper after the AUC warranty runs out.

Soldato
It’s 30% more going monthly so you want to delay going monthly as long as possible.

Even if you are over 60k it’s only £100 more a year annually paying the lump sum compared to get the lower mileage rate monthly. It’s likely the main reason they don’t check the mileage after taking the monthly policy out.

Man of Honour
BMW are beginning to look very expensive on warranty products now - Audi, Lexus etc all have far more competitive products. The Lexus one is abnormally good, so I wouldn't expect that from anyone else, but the Audi policy for example on an A6 2.0 TDI is a ridiculous £32 a month for 2 years and includes ALL servicing as well!?

Meanwhile, warranty £100 excess/breakdown cover alone on a 520d of the same age and mileage is over £800 a year.

I'm past the point where I'm interested in running cars without cover so if BMW ever dramatically increased the price any further it's likely I'd look at what other manufacturers offer.

Yes, the BMW policy is excellent but I've no reason to believe the Audi policy isn't as good. It would be a bargain even if it didn't include all servicing too, but it does!

Soldato
Yeah BMW need to up their game. Having said that I think the warranty options are like the icing on the cake. The car still has to be decent... there's still not a Lexus out there that would tempt me into one however good the warranty.

Caporegime
BMW are beginning to look very expensive on warranty products now - Audi, Lexus etc all have far more competitive products. The Lexus one is abnormally good, so I wouldn't expect that from anyone else, but the Audi policy for example on an A6 2.0 TDI is a ridiculous £32 a month for 2 years and includes ALL servicing as well!?

Meanwhile, warranty £100 excess/breakdown cover alone on a 520d of the same age and mileage is over £800 a year.

I'm past the point where I'm interested in running cars without cover so if BMW ever dramatically increased the price any further it's likely I'd look at what other manufacturers offer.

Yes, the BMW policy is excellent but I've no reason to believe the Audi policy isn't as good. It would be a bargain even if it didn't include all servicing too, but it does!
Lexus (and Toyota) have a deal on at the moment, if you get your car serviced at a main dealer they’ll give you a years manufacturer warranty! Doubt you’d ever see anything like that from BMW.

Soldato
Because the car has over 60k miles. You need one with less for the warranty to be a sensible price.

But then I have to ask - what is it you're trying to get from a car here? The fact you've picked 320d suggests you're after low running costs, but then you pick a 7 year old 3 Series. What do you actually want? Because if you want low ownership costs then older cars are worth avoiding and if you're not that concerned about low ownership costs then the 320d is worth avoiding - there are far better engines in the range than the old 2 litre diesel.

Got it for a very good price from a family member - I otherwise wouldn’t have bothered.

It hasn’t got really any features I wanted over the ones I deem “necessary”, but it’s a huge step up from the car I’m moving from. Just wanted something nicer to drive on my commute and around the country, and of all the cars I looked at in a similar price bracket, it’s much nicer.

I’ve been priced out of the market on vehicles I was looking at unfortunately.

It’s an xdrive model with HK, entry HU, xenons and M Performance aero kit.

I’ve driven it a fair few miles and I know the car well, so seems like the right path :)

Soldato
Oh absolutely, in that context it makes perfect sense. I had assumed this was a car you were looking to buy :)

No, I don’t think I’d go with an F31 320D if I was looking for a car to buy. As you say, plenty of other engines on the market which offer better value.

I think I’d probably have paid a little more and gone for an A4 3L diesel, since it’s a much nicer cabin

F31 is very outdated, and the only reason I’m going for it is because I’m able to upgrade to an NBT Evo HU - being able to play music off my phone is a MUST and the F31 doesnt have that ability other than AUX (which also happens to be broken :p)

I’ll have paid £11,500 for it, which I feel is reasonable in the current climate.

Soldato
Lovely car. If it were me I’d be looking to change the wheels. I’ve never liked black wheels.
They are replicas, not BMW OEM as well :(

The seller included the original 403Ms but they have been powder coated over the diamond cut finish so I need to get them refurbed before I'd be happy putting them on.

Back
Top Bottom