BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
My 320i Tourer M Sport in Portimao Blue will be with me on the 1st March. They've advised there's no touchscreen but a £500 discount in lieu of it. No idea if the touchscreen is necessary, but I don't have one in my current car (GLC) so happy enough with the discount.

Order went in mid October, and arrived at the dealer yesterday.

Soldato
My 320i Tourer M Sport in Portimao Blue will be with me on the 1st March. They've advised there's no touchscreen but a £500 discount in lieu of it. No idea if the touchscreen is necessary, but I don't have one in my current car (GLC) so happy enough with the discount.

It means my concern about Android Auto/Car Play ditching their 'non-touchscreen' input method (critical to my Merc) goes away :D

Soldato

Fox swears blindly that touchscreen is not needed, where as i personally use it all the time, particularly in android auto / car play, or if i want to just pan the map a bit to see a bit more. It would annoy me a lot, but what can you do?

Man of Honour
I'd happily take the 500 quid. Half the time I forget I can even use the touch screen in a G Series BMW, that's how unimportant it is to general operation of the system. But I rarely use Android Auto either and only tend to do so in situations whereby the standard navigation/entertainment/traffic isn't up to much which of course in a G20 with built in Spotify isn't a concern. Perhaps if I used Android Auto more often I'd come to prefer a touch screen. I am tempted to get a Carplay upgrade done in the MINI because the lack of usable traffic information on the car drives me mad, so maybe I'll be back in a few months moaning about not having a touchscreen.

I'm sure we'll all have no choice but to use a touch screen in 10 years time so I'm enjoying not having to for as long as possible. I've never driven a car where the touchscreen has enhanced the usability of the infotainment system.

Soldato
Soldato
The positioning of the BMW screens doesn't lend itself to touchscreen use, something like the mk7 golf where the screen is lower does work OK as touchscreen. However, Android auto is crap without touchscreen

Soldato
I used Apple Car Play in my F36, and the iDrive controller is the perfect interface for it. I honestly can't understand the push to touch in cars. Removing physical controls for climate etc, and forcing people to lean and touch a screen rather than use an iDrive controller seems like a step back in both usability and safety.

Caporegime
I used Apple Car Play in my F36, and the iDrive controller is the perfect interface for it. I honestly can't understand the push to touch in cars. Removing physical controls for climate etc, and forcing people to lean and touch a screen rather than use an iDrive controller seems like a step back in both usability and safety.
100% agreed. A touch screen needs you to look at it, buttons and dials can be discerned and adjusted by feel alone without taking your eyes off the road.

Soldato

Spotify in carplay for example you have to turn the dial about 20 times just to move across the screen vs just tapping. I absolutely don't advocate for removing the physical controls, i see it as just complimentary. Moving a map around even in default nav is so much quicker and easier by just panning a bit and then hitting re-centre than figuring how to turn it into pan instead of zoom mode.

Man of Honour
Spotify in carplay for example you have to turn the dial about 20 times just to move across the screen vs just tapping

A non issue with idrive 7 as I can't think of a single reason to use Spotify on Carplay when the built-in app is so good.

How often do you find yourself moving the map around anyway? Almost never in my experience. If I want to have a good look around a map I've pulled over and parked and use my phone (which ironically in an Android auto setup you can't do as it seems to lock out google maps on the handset :D).

Soldato
The main problem with the touch screen deletion is the lack of keyboard in my opinion - entering a destination via the touch screen keyboard is so much quicker than using the iDrive controller.

Man of Honour
The main problem with the touch screen deletion is the lack of keyboard in my opinion - entering a destination via the touch screen keyboard is so much quicker than using the iDrive controller.

Just use the BMW connected app on your phone? It takes seconds and means there is no real need to ever use manual destination input.

You can type far quicker on your phone than you can on a touch screen in the car.

Soldato
Just use the BMW connected app on your phone? It takes seconds and means there is no real need to ever use manual destination input.

You can type far quicker on your phone than you can on a touch screen in the car.

That takes longer, doesn't work if your driver profile isn't the one that's active - it's a faff. The BMW app doesn't seem to give the same search results either.

Soldato
A non issue with idrive 7 as I can't think of a single reason to use Spotify on Carplay when the built-in app is so good.

Plus it uses the Cars data and doesn't drain your battery.. Spotify and waze and my charger barely keeps up... The wireless one can't for sure and the phone gets red hot.

Soldato
Good to see most don’t see the touchscreen as being particularly useful.

Oh there’s no wireless charging either! I think I have the poverty spec of the poverty spec! At least it ain’t white…

Back
Top Bottom