BMW and M Power Owners

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Just checked MyBMW app and I can enable high beam assist for 400 quid, might do it just to see how it all works
Which model do you have?

I've borrowed my dad's G30 with Laser Lights and was disappointed with the high beam assist. It was very slow to react to oncoming trucks on an unlit motorway, and I resorted to turning it on and off manually to stop blinding oncoming traffic.

The Matrix LED on my Q7 are much quicker to react. Not sure if this is Laser v Matrix LED or BMW v Audi though.

Man of Honour
Laser are meant to be the best, in theory.

High beam assist is ok but £400 seems a lot.

I have the ICON LED lights which have the self-adjusting permanent high beam (like Audi Matrix) and it’s very useful. Also looks better aesthetically than the standard lights.

Soldato
Which model do you have?

I've borrowed my dad's G30 with Laser Lights and was disappointed with the high beam assist. It was very slow to react to oncoming trucks on an unlit motorway, and I resorted to turning it on and off manually to stop blinding oncoming traffic.

The Matrix LED on my Q7 are much quicker to react. Not sure if this is Laser v Matrix LED or BMW v Audi though.
Thats strange as my X3M had Adaptive LED and my 840i had Laser Lights and they were both very quick at reacting to other traffic and blanking those LEDs to stop them being blinded or when following other cars. Its not just HBA on the adaptive lights its the full matrix system.

Soldato
Thats strange as my X3M had Adaptive LED and my 840i had Laser Lights and they were both very quick at reacting to other traffic and blanking those LEDs to stop them being blinded or when following other cars. Its not just HBA on the adaptive lights its the full matrix system.
Quick to one person could be slow to another though. It could be working to spec and some people still think it's rubbish while others think it's amazing.

Man of Honour
My M3 doesn't have Icons, I'm not really fussed as I think I've driven it one time when it's dark and the HBA is decent enough. I do like the look of them though, but for £3K+ to have them retrofitted I'll pass.

Man of Honour
My M3 doesn't have Icons, I'm not really fussed as I think I've driven it one time when it's dark and the HBA is decent enough. I do like the look of them though, but for £3K+ to have them retrofitted I'll pass.

Yes, the normal lights and HBA are fine performance wise. However, as you say the icon lights look better, it's frustrating they didn't just fit them as standard on the M cars. It surprised me how few M3's have them, they're easier to find on the M4's.

It's rarely worth retrofitting things like this, can work out cheaper to swap the car in some instances!

Soldato
Yes, the normal lights and HBA are fine performance wise. However, as you say the icon lights look better, it's frustrating they didn't just fit them as standard on the M cars. It surprised me how few M3's have them, they're easier to find on the M4's.

It's rarely worth retrofitting things like this, can work out cheaper to swap the car in some instances!

I imagine because people that buy M3s over M4s do so for practicality.

People that buy an M4 typically do so because it looks better, and the Icons are part of that.

What was the cost at factory?

Commissario
On the subject of lights, I'm struggling to find a definite answer (other than contacting BMW) about driving abroad.

We're off to France for a week next month and I'm not sure if my M340i needs those headlight converter stickers or if they auto adjust/whatever. Some people online suggest turning off auto lights and that's sufficient but I'm not so sure - any know for sure?

Man of Honour
On the subject of lights, I'm struggling to find a definite answer (other than contacting BMW) about driving abroad.

We're off to France for a week next month and I'm not sure if my M340i needs those headlight converter stickers or if they auto adjust/whatever. Some people online suggest turning off auto lights and that's sufficient but I'm not so sure - any know for sure?

Read your manual - seriously. There is a section on exactly what you need to do :)

Caporegime

If they are adaptive led headlights then if you do manual update on connect drive-options-update services when you get abroad it will automatically swap them over and remind you to drive on the left (Thats what BMW concierge told me anyway)

Or if you cant be bothered, the manual says just switch off the adaptive, you dont need stickers as they are "flat" on low beam apparently.

EDIT: This is with the G05 X5. May be different for different cars, best to read your manual.

Soldato
They buy them because they're cheaper. The M3 arguably looks better as it has much more aggressive rear arches.

I thought the M4 was more costly new

I always saw the M3 as a more sophisticated product and, IMO, significantly better looking. In my head, M4s are owned by 30 year olds who still live at home and pay no rent :p

They are mistaken :D

Agreed!

Back
Top Bottom