BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Surely it must be if the car doesn't have iDrive 7?
It is possible to upgrade a car with NBT EVO (ID6) to MGU (ID7) but the cost is pretty serious as you need a new Kombi/instrument cluster, MGU "high" unit, screen, controller, RAM module plus a few other bits. If the cost is several thousand then potentially it's an OEM retrofit for true ID7. If not and it's a few hundred quid, it's an MMI box which has the usual issues.

An MGU unit alone is around £2.5K from BMW in a virginized state. If you buy a used one, the guys in Europe who can erase the existing VIN and component protection are charging upwards of £1000 just to unlock them and provide the FSC codes. I would say in parts alone you're talking close to £6K.

Looking at GARetrofit, it's not an MGU upgrade. It looks more like an upgrade for those who currently have NBT (ID4) to NBT EVO, which can handle Apple CarPlay and Android screen mirroring only, not full Android Auto. This is much easier to do by yourself with less parts needed and software readily available on the internet to deal with FSCs.

Last edited:
Associate
It isn't, it is a BMW OE unit as fitted to the later models. This is then coded properly to your vehicle VIN, good retrofitters even update the BMW database to ensure you don't have difficulties in case of a software update.

Associate
An MGU unit alone is around £2.5K from BMW in a virginized state. If you buy a used one, the guys in Europe who can erase the existing VIN and component protection are charging upwards of £1000 just to unlock them and provide the FSC codes. I would say in parts alone you're talking close to £6K.
Except a quick look at a virginized and pre coded kit comes in at £1500. Fair enough, it is for a G30 and doesn't include the instrument cluster, but there will a fair bit of spare change from £6k.

As for GA retrofit - their site isn't the most up to date, fair point on the 4 to 6 upgrade though.

Soldato
Where are you seeing an MGU retrofit for £1500? In terms of all the parts at £6K - that's parts from BMW dealer of course - the screen alone from them is around £1K which is quite frankly mental!! :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
Reminds me of that story of when a Land Rover parts guy started pricing a car using their catalogue and stopped halfway through when the total went over £1m. :D
Have a look at the famous auction site.

Soldato
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but can anyone tell me why the auto-handbrake doesn't always engage when I turn off the engine? It does maybe 75% of the time, but certainly not always. I can't figure out what the difference is between instances of it working/not working even though I always reverse in to my driveway in the exact same way. If it makes any difference, this is on a G42 M240i.

I did Google, but it just turns up a load of forums getting confused about people talking about auto-hold, NOT the handbrake.

Last edited:
Soldato
The auto-handbrake on my old 128ti only engaged when you pushed down a bit harder than normal on the brake pedal. It was not linked to the car being turned off i think.

Soldato
Do you have auto hold switched on?
Yep, always.
The auto-handbrake on my old 128ti only engaged when you pushed down a bit harder than normal on the brake pedal. It was not linked to the car being turned off i think.
Interesting - I'll give that a try. A bit annoying that it's not linked to the engine being turned off if this is the fix, though.

Soldato
Soldato
GIjc4Mu.jpeg

In this today as a loaner, 118i. Better than the 118d I had last time, but the gearbox in this is atrocious, would much rather have a VAG DCT. It's also very uninspiring to drive, so I think I'd go for a Kia/Hyundai and pocket the change.

iDrive etc is excellent, and makes me want to fit android auto to my car.

Last edited:
Soldato
carplay I'd bought a used iphone11 with any an eye on a newer 2018/19 bmw - as a tidal user I don't want to have to pay for idrive what? £100 for connected + £100 for premium spotify,
haven't tried apple music, but I've read it provides better audio quality via car play probably because audio is sent bit-perfect/no re-encode (vertical integrstion)
Also, I've read nothing categoric that says bmw spotify app does deliver the higher bitrate 250+ you usually get with premium spotify (their app doesn't tell you?)

why bmw don't support wired carplay/AA - if it's more than a 10minute journey who cares about plugging a phone in (maybe you'd need an otg adapter though to charge too)

[

3 cylinders 118 - that tuneful 180bhp 3 cylinder they should have put in 3 series and would make me feel less sad than moving to 4 cylinder - saving weight too

]

Man of Honour
Spotify built in is an iDrive 7 feature - you won't find this on a 2018 car (Unless you buy one of the first 8 Series).

I have absolutely no idea why you think the 3 cylinder needed more power. I have a car with the 3 cylinder engine in it - it's a good engine and I like it but I wouldn't want it in a 3 Series in place of a larger engine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom