BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
Loads of cars have speed limiters already, its just another mode of cruise control that can be turned off anyway

But not before annoying the hell out of you

The speed limiter will send haptic, audio, and visual warnings until you start driving within the speed limits.You can override the system by pressing hard on the accelerator, but the system will reactivate every time the car is started.

To tackle this, manufacturers will have four options to choose from to alert the driver when they’re speeding:
1. The driver’s foot will be gently pushed back
2. The speed control system will automatically reduce the propulsion power, but you can override the system easily by pushing the pedal again
3. The driver will be sent a flashing visual signal to point out you’re speeding. If you continue to drive over the limit, an audio cue will be activated; if you ignore this as well, both visual and audio cues will be used after which both cues will time-out
4. Similar to the third option, the driver will first be sent a visual cue. If you ignore it, the pedal will vibrate. If you keep ignoring the combined signals, they will eventually time out

Given the choice in say 3 years time, I would rather buy the June car without the above than the July/August car personally.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ahh, i think i know what you mean, from reading about you can just press a button on the steering wheel to turn it off, however, as you say it needs to be done every time. I used to get annoyed with my current Seat Tarracco constantly turning on the lane assistance, now it's just second nature to press a button on the steering wheel every time i get in the car.

Associate
One for the tech gurus if anyone can please help with a question about BMW's and Android Auto?

My understanding is that some BMW's only had compatability with Android Auto from somewhere around 2019/2020, more specifically the X3 xDrive 30D M Sport?
Is this correct, and if so, can a car without Android Auto compatability have its firmware/software updated to include Android Auto compatability?

Thx

Soldato
The 318i had the 1.5 litre 3 cylinder engine.
as i said, never tuned up to the levels of the - i8, apparently 230bhp - although I thought I'd seen a video with a similarly powerful prototype in a 1/3er ..
even vag makes more power on their 3 cylinders than production 3er

Soldato
Soldato
One for the tech gurus if anyone can please help with a question about BMW's and Android Auto?

My understanding is that some BMW's only had compatability with Android Auto from somewhere around 2019/2020, more specifically the X3 xDrive 30D M Sport?
Is this correct, and if so, can a car without Android Auto compatability have its firmware/software updated to include Android Auto compatability?

Thx
What car do you have and year (assuming the X3...)?
I am in the same quandary, however have just settled for using my phone with 'AAiDrive' which gives functionality such as spotify. My phone screen is nearly as big as the car one anyway

Associate

Thx
The answer is yes, I would Google GA retrofits or some local alternatives. There's a big retrofit market for these, dealer will of course say no 9 out of 10 times.

Man of Honour

Thx

Android Auto on a BMW requires iDrive 7 (if we're talking about official compatibility rather than aftermarket).

But if you do have iDrive 7, I don't see the point in bothering with Android Auto, as you'll have built in Spotify which offers better audio quality than Android Auto and your navigation system will integrate properly with the instrument panel and the head up display, which Android Auto won't do. And your phone battery won't go flat.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Android Auto on a BMW requires iDrive 7 (if we're talking about official compatibility rather than aftermarket).

But if you do have iDrive 7, I don't see the point in bothering with Android Auto, as you'll have built in Spotify which offers better audio quality than Android Auto and your navigation system will integrate properly with the instrument panel and the head up display, which Android Auto won't do. And your phone battery won't go flat.
Spotify is a valid point, but IME the built in system sucks versus Waze or G Maps. Worse and slower to react traffic information, no police warnings, hazard warnings, speed camera warnings, etc etc..

Man of Honour
Spotify is a valid point, but IME the built in system sucks versus Waze or G Maps. Worse and slower to react traffic information,

I think they are all about the same - they all have good points and bad points. This being the case, the integration with the rest of the car is the deciding factor for me and the BMW system would need to be considerably worse than Google Maps before I'd be happy to lose the detailed instructions in the head up display etc.

speed camera warnings, etc etc..

iDrive 7 does have this - but it's a separate subscription at £25 a year.

Soldato
So, got an update on my i5 M60 Touring, current status has changed to 155 - Assembly Finish/Quality Check. Deliver to dealer date of the 5th August! Looking forward to my first ever BMW (and electric car).

That sounds expensive! What colour did you go for?

Man of Honour
Had an interesting conversation with BMW Insured Warranty yesterday, the woman seemed very knowledgeable and I found out a couple of things that people may not be aware of.

You can buy the BMW warranty at the discounted rate even if you're on a non-BMW warranty policy. So let's say you buy a car from a random dealer and get 3 months RAC Platinum warranty, you can contact BMW and as long as the warranty was for at least 3 months, and is comprehensive, they will be able to offer you the discounted rate and £0 excess. This is on a case by case basis and they'll have to look at the policy, but sounds quite fair.

I knew this one already, but as long as you pay monthly for the policy (when approaching 100k miles), mileage is not monitored. So you can in theory keep a comprehensive policy on the car indefinitely, this is only potentially reviewed if there is a failure over 100k miles, then they may choose to downgrade you to the driveline warranty, but they will still pay the claim.

Associate
What car do you have and year (assuming the X3...)?
I am in the same quandary, however have just settled for using my phone with 'AAiDrive' which gives functionality such as spotify. My phone screen is nearly as big as the car one anyway

It is one of a number of cars I am looking at for a possible purchase, not bought it yet.

Associate
Spotify is a valid point, but IME the built in system sucks versus Waze or G Maps. Worse and slower to react traffic information, no police warnings, hazard warnings, speed camera warnings, etc etc..

It is Waze that I was hoping to use rather than the inbuilt Navigation.
With the aftermarket retro fitters, would anyone know if the upgraded iDrive they put on has full integration with all the vehicles functionality or is it glitchy and missing options?

To be honest, I am not sure of the quality of the inbuilt Navigation for BMW as I have not owned one for a number of years, last one I had was a 2004 330D without navigation.
My personal use would have navigation and phone use (calls/texts) as the priority.

Associate
It is Waze that I was hoping to use rather than the inbuilt Navigation.
With the aftermarket retro fitters, would anyone know if the upgraded iDrive they put on has full integration with all the vehicles functionality or is it glitchy and missing options?

To be honest, I am not sure of the quality of the inbuilt Navigation for BMW as I have not owned one for a number of years, last one I had was a 2004 330D without navigation.
My personal use would have navigation and phone use (calls/texts) as the priority.
The guys at GA retrofit can fit (if required) and code a BMW genuine equipment navigation - fully integrated with OE functionality. This is not an aftermarket unit. I'd message them and ask for details, it can 100% be done reliably, they do tidy work and you won't be able to tell it wasn't factory fitted.

Back
Top Bottom