BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Its been taken to BMW, they said its the 1k fix...As far as I know anyway. The screen keeps resetting, flashing up the "BMW" letters then going Blank, and will continue doing that until your very lucky and everything works until you switch the car off.

Soldato
£1000 to fix a computer on an £8000 car :/ :eek:

I'd want to be saving the £650 by DIYing it to spend it on repairing the car down the line, because a 2006 N54 335i is going to need fixing at some point - and trust me, it don't come cheap!

Man of Honour
£1000 to fix a computer on an £8000 car :/ :eek:

Yes, you'd think they would depreciate the cost of fixing stuff inline with the depreciation on the car.

Not.

Though if this was me I'd be doing a CIC retrofit for that same grand. Fairly easy to DIY and people will remote code it for you for a fee.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27193284 said:
Yes, you'd think they would depreciate the cost of fixing stuff inline with the depreciation on the car.

A) The point I was making was that it's a large amount of money to spend on such an old car. And in return for £1000 of your hard earned, you get the CCC iDrive in return. Great value for money there. Not.

B) Thinking about it - why shouldn't the cost of fixing items fall? It is getting on for 10 year old technology. The cost of the parts should have fallen significantly, yet i believe they're still charging £680 for the CCC computer. I suppose you would pay the same amount for an AMD Athlon XP2400+ with ATI 9800 Pro and 512Mb RAM as you did in 2004 would you?

[TW]Fox;27193284 said:
Though if this was me I'd be doing a CIC retrofit for that same grand. Fairly easy to DIY and people will remote code it for you for a fee.

This would be a far more effective place to put £1000 (although CIC retrofits are about £1200) - but the difference would be night and day and value for money is far far better.

Man of Honour
B) Thinking about it - why shouldn't the cost of fixing items fall? It is getting on for 10 year old technology. The cost of the parts should have fallen significantly, yet i believe they're still charging £680 for the CCC computer. I suppose you would pay the same amount for an AMD Athlon XP2400+ with ATI 9800 Pro and 512Mb RAM as you did in 2004 would you?

I would be absolutely amazed if they still manufacturer the parts in bulk. There will be a supply from that originally produced and then short term batch production every so often to replenish stocks. This probably cancels out the point you are making there as the cost of short batch production is high. Quite a proportion of that £1k will be labour at a main dealer as well.

If AMD did a special production run of 10 XP2400+ CPU's I would imagine we would be surprised how much it would cost! There is no obligation or requirement for people like AMD to keep maintaining stocks of older models like there is within the car industry.

Soldato
Soldato
[TW]Fox;27193443 said:
I would be absolutely amazed if they still manufacturer the parts in bulk. There will be a supply from that originally produced and then short term batch production every so often to replenish stocks. This probably cancels out the point you are making there as the cost of short batch production is high. Quite a proportion of that £1k will be labour at a main dealer as well.

I have no idea about the inner workings of manufacturing old BMW parts, but presumably this happens with everything? You're surely doing it wrong if your old parts are costing the same as your new parts, because of increased manufacturing cost due to smaller runs on the old parts.

The general trend is that as time goes by, the cost to produce anything decreases and this decrease should be well and truly outweighed by a small increase in unit price due to lower production volume.

My personal thoughts are that they keep the price high because they know that the average person will have to pay it if their iDrive breaks down.

Labour on changing the CCC headunit wouldn't/shouldn't be much either considering there are people who offer to fix the CCC in 3 hours while you wait. BMW will simply be unplugging the old unit, plugging in the new unit, doing some coding then testing. 2 hours of labour should be more than enough for this. This means £200 for labour is making the part price at around £800! For a CCC headunit!

That is a lot smarter, Does the CIC come with bluetooth with the ability to play music over it?

The CCC only has the ability to make calls over BT as far as i'm aware.

The later iDrive does in combination with the Combox, which is an additional item at around £500 IIRC.

Associate
Well my 53 plate Z4 decided that the steering would die for a few seconds while going around a roundabout on the way home tonight, after it did the same while parked last weekend. Guess I am ringing BMW up in the morning and taking it up there :( No idea what it is as it when it happened it cut the radio out for a second as well.

Fingers crossed its nothing major or a warranty job.

Man of Honour
I have no idea about the inner workings of manufacturing old BMW parts, but presumably this happens with everything? You're surely doing it wrong if your old parts are costing the same as your new parts, because of increased manufacturing cost due to smaller runs on the old parts.

The motor industry is a special case though - AMD don't bother to manufacturer old CPU's once they are superseded unless the market dictates it, in which case they can continue to manufacture them in bulk and benefit from lower costs through economies of scale.

The motor industry is different - it has to continue to offer parts for discontinued and superseded products even though demand is difficult to project. They don't make CCC kit still because they can make a profit from doing so, they do so because it's unacceptable that they reach a position where buyers of new cars are hit by the effect on residuals etc that knowing that a few years after buying it they won't be able to get parts would have.

Therefore the small demand for these parts will be met by a combination of producing enough stock in the first place - at original cost - to last a number of years and then running small production batches in the future to replenish stocks. Small batch production is expensive - you don't benefit from economies of scale when running off small numbers.

There will be parts of these cars where demand *increases* as they get older. Which is why you'll notice that where they do have the ability to run off plenty of them they do benefit from reduced costs and price does fall over time, ie bits of suspension etc.

My personal thoughts are that they keep the price high because they know that the average person will have to pay it if their iDrive breaks down.

I disagree. Most people who actually get a new CCC unit ordered will do so under warranty, those without warranty will inviarably not bother or opt for repaired used parts. The only people really paying £800 a go for CCC units in any real volume will be those who underwrite the AUC and Insured warranty products.

Man of Honour
Was there an F10 M5 model upgrade and if so when and what changed Fox?

The facelift was September 2013. New front and rear lights was the biggest change (Though at some point the M5 gained a better iDrive?) but be aware - prior to the facelift Xenons were standard so the M5 always had the upgraded headlight housing. From the facelift Xenons were standard across the range so the M5 ended up with the worse looking base headlights (No LED indicators) unless you spec the LED lights.

The facelift was not ground-breaking and it's difficult to tell them apart.

Soldato
Well my 53 plate Z4 decided that the steering would die for a few seconds while going around a roundabout on the way home tonight, after it did the same while parked last weekend. Guess I am ringing BMW up in the morning and taking it up there :( No idea what it is as it when it happened it cut the radio out for a second as well.

Fingers crossed its nothing major or a warranty job.

Same happened twice on my old e39 and then never again which I thought was odd!

Soldato
OP
Think I'm going to do both the track rod and track rod ends myself. That video makes it look easy, so with a bit of plus gas and following the guide step by step I'm sure I can do it.

Associate
Quick question, warranty on a BMW approved used car should be a year right? I've just had a letter saying the warranty is about to expire on the 6th December when I bought the car in April this year? I'm wondering if a years warranty wasn't applied as the car was originally registered on 6th December 2011.

Soldato
That'll be the end of the manufacturers warranty. The AUC warranty will still be in effect from when the manufacturers warranty expires.

Back
Top Bottom