BMW and M Power Owners

There is clearly more than 3mm on that tyre. 3mm may well be at the lowest point but so what?

Honestly, politely decline to contribute anything. If he feels the need to change tyres early that's his own call

You're not a garage, are you? I wouldn't even consider this, you sold it with best intentions and it certainly doesn't sound as though you were actively trying to deceive.

If you were in his shoes, would you be wanting some money?

House, the guy had the opportunity to look around the car before buying it, and therefore he had his chance to negotiate the price based on the condition of the tyres. You told him the tyres were fine. The garage has confirmed they're fine.

You have been neither wilfully or unwittingly deceptive. The deal is done. Politely decline to contribute to the tyres.

True. I would not ask for anything but don't want to be dishonest and he feels I should be paying towards them. I think I will politely tell him that I am not paying.

Thanks everyone

got a message from him saying he has put on 2 new tyres, something called uniroyal for £300 but it gets worse one of the alloys had 3 cracks in it :(

I had never lost pressure in the time that I owned it. This is why I should sell my cars to dealers!

Last edited:
Text him caveat emptor and leave it at that.

Now really this. He had the opportunity to look over the car, and was happy with what he had seen. Neither you nor the buyer noticed the cracks, so there was nothing hidden from him.

Uniroyals are quite good actually, I like them. But even in 255/30/19's they are only £122 from Camskill, so still not £300 the pair. Of course, if he decides to go to Kwik-Fit and get ripped off, that's up to him.

got a message from him saying he has put on 2 new tyres, something called uniroyal for £300 but it gets worse one of the alloys had 3 cracks in it :(

I had never lost pressure in the time that I owned it. This is why I should sell my cars to dealers!

Its also why he should buy his cars from dealers. Its not your problem.

Now really this. He had the opportunity to look over the car, and was happy with what he had seen. Neither you nor the buyer noticed the cracks, so there was nothing hidden from him.

Uniroyals are quite good actually, I like them. But even in 255/30/19's they are only £122 from Camskill, so still not £300 the pair. Of course, if he decides to go to Kwik-Fit and get ripped off, that's up to him.

300 quid a pair fitted locally seems reasonable if they are 250 a pair before post and fitting online.

When I bought my car, one of the first things I did was change the tyres. They didn't need replacing but we're all odds and sods. That's how I bought the car. I wouldn't go back to the fella I bought it off asking him to pay towards them! that's ridiculous. It's a private sale. Sold as seen.

You never should have entered into a discussion with him.

But you now have two choices:
1. Politely tell him to leave you alone as it was a private sale.
2. Ignore him

Politely remind him that had he bought it from a dealer, he'd have a right to go back and complain / get something done about it as dealers have obligations toward their customer and the customer has consumer rights from said dealer.
And also point out the dealer would have charged a lot more as a commercial transaction than you did as a private sale to cover all of this.

In short, this guy wants to have his cake and eat it, tell him to go fourth!

I must say after reading a number of members on here recommending the purchase of a sub 60k mileage BMW with full BMW service history and to take out a comprehensive warranty on that car...I am glad I read and digested that advice and did exactly that.

Within 3 months of purchasing my 2010 E92 325d which has only covered 43k, the car had to go into BMW with an EML light on, reduced power as well as a nasty oil leak which developed almost over night. t

As a result the car went into BMW and had the following work completed:

Replacement EGR valve
Replacement oil cooler and intercooler seals
New throttle pedal
Replacement seat belt butler

Unfortunately, im not sure on what this work would have cost but I am anticipating it would have cost at least the same, if not more than the cost of a years warranty and my £100 compulsory excess. Even if the repair cost was similar to the warranty cost, it was worth taking our purely for the worry free experience of handing the car to BMW and not having to worry about the impending bill I was facing.

So, a big thank you to all those on here who have praised the BMW/Mondial backed comprehensive warranty policy. A huge sigh of relief has been breathed.

This is where I am with BMW's now. I love the cars and can't ever really find anything else that does it for me but they are so complex that I can't be bothered with the faff when something goes wrong - either of not knowing how much the enormous bill will be or not knowing whether the random independent I've picked knows what's wrong or is just going to bill me for a bunch of useless replacement parts.

So I stick to sub 60k purchases and then put the warranty on. Is it good value? Probably not. Does it enable peace of mind? Yes it does. In terms of actual condition I've no doubt a 140k 4 year old car is every bit as good as a 4 year old 50k mile car but it's all about the warranty for me.

The sophistication in modern BMWs is awesome. But I'm so glad the E30 has none of it to go wrong and upset me. :P Also, on the very rare occasion that something does go wrong, its reassuring to understand what it is and why, and where possible sort it myself.
Thats value. ;)

The sophistication in modern BMWs is awesome.

As it is in modern Ford's, Vauxhalls, Volvo's, Kia's, Mazda's etc etc etc...

Fox alludes to an issue that isn't exclusive to BMW nor other "prestige" brands, it's all of the makes, even trucks!
The days of even changing bulbs at the roadside are numbered, BMW's superb 8 speed auto is a classic example, if it fails it's ECU that's within the box itself is coded to the car, in the event of a major failure you can't simply replace it with one from a breaker for example - as you can currently with say an old e39 with a similar problem - as there is a complex procedure of recoding it to the recipient vehicles ECU before it will work.

Maybe this is wonderful design on BMW's part or perhaps it's an attempt to kill off second hand - out of dealer network - gearbox changes, effectively scrapping an otherwise good vehicle.

Fox's stance is only going to get reinforced in years to come, I for example don't really care if say the 'box dies on my e39, I source a used one and pay somebody to fit it. 10 years down the line from now, we're my cheap e39 then a cheap f10, I think I'd be reluctant to run the risk as it's no longer a simple proposition to sort such a fault, alas though, as I say, increasingly it's not just BMW's but all Marques as technology "advances".....

Last edited:
Goodbye E46, it's been awesome. New owner is a local forum member so hopefully I'll still get to see it around :)

pLnPrnG.jpg

Had an emotional day cleaning it yesterday and took it for one last spirited drive.

13j3H73.jpg

So how has the ownership been? Quite relaxed I have to say, the cost of the car when I bought it in June 2013 was £4,900 and has been sold for not much less.

zAL0WJW.jpg

In terms of what went wrong, the bills have been infrequent and manageable (all prices rough estimates, new owner has all receipts now).

Starter motor failure: £450
DISA valve preventative maintenance: £60
Water pump failure: £60
Oil filter housing gasket: £not very much in terms of labour, part kindly donated by Atari on these forums
Oil level sensor: £20
Alternator wiring (convinced this failed as a result of a **** up when the oil filter housing gasket was replaced): £80
Idler pulley went all squealy: £20
Serpentine belt at the same time as above: £12
Exhaust rusted away: £60 for some welding

BFFgB2N.jpg

Consumables:

Rear pads + brake fluid change: £180
Front tyres: £90 each (F1AS2)
Rear tyres: £145 each (F1AS2)
Inspection 1 service: £240 (I think)

DVSaqDB.jpg

And in terms of enhancements?

Alloy wheel refurb + extras: £380ish
BM54 capacitor upgrade + aux input: £150
Refurb of the interior: £8 for a can of black spray paint
Steering wheel leather refurb: £130

gnDhZNf.jpg

It's been a brilliant car and the one I've owned for the longest, I'm genuinely sad to see it go, but it's now time for bigger and better things. Watch this space!

Back
Top Bottom