BMW and M Power Owners

So you told him the tyres were good without checking them?

Well when I bought the car they where good and I only did 1000 miles in the car so assumed they are still fine.

He sent me a photo

Unknown_zpsanjvutdu.jpeg

They look fine to me?

Last edited:
Yes, bit strange. He is not trying to take the **** as he is a nice older guy. I think he just thinks they are bad and need replacing.

I asked him to get a tyre depth gauge and get back to me. He asked for £250 towards them.

Gotta agree. When you said tyres are fine, that means legal. He really should have checked at time of purchase.

If you feel compelled to, I would offer him up to £100 towards them IF they are less than 3mm which is almost twice the legal limit.

What a joker. Firstly, the car is sold as seen, and secondly he could have checked them himself before collecting it. I'd tell him to do one, but if you feel that way inclined I'd give him £150 max. They aren't even to the wear indicators just yet.

Dude you are too nice for your own good.

Its down to him to check them and make sure he is happy with what he is buying. Those tyres are very much legal.

Looking at that pic there's close to 4mm of tread, but let's say minimum 3mm (wear indicators are 2mm, and there's a good amount of tread above them).

If you'd told him they were brand new then I can understand, but you didn't. You told him they were fine, which I'd take as meaning they're all legal. You presumably allowed him to look the car over and test drive it before purchase, so he's had ample opportunity to look at tyres before handing over the money.

Those tyres have got thousands of miles left in them, so in your shoes I would tell him you're not going to be contributing towards new tyres.

Thanks guys, I still dont feel right telling him to do one but I have asked him to go to the dealer and get them checked. He was so exited about the car I even spent £60 getting it washed and waxed after he paid me a deposit.

Ideal spec/wish list for second hand

535i M Sport (530D/535D second hand, maybe 528i)
Sports Auto
Pro Nav
HUD
Multi Function Display
Surround View
Advanced Bluetooth
Folding Mirrors
19" Alloys
LED Headlights (adaptive Xenons if second hand)
Leather Dashboard (not a chance of this second hand)
M Sport suspension delete, maybe variable damper control (adaptive suspension second hand/could put up with M Sport suspension if the right spec came up)
Heated Steering Wheel (nice to have second hand)
Electric Front Seats (nice to have second hand)
Comfort Access (nice to have second hand)
Tow bar (nice to have second hand)

I had a similar spec list for a F10, couldn't find one I was totally happy with so decided to go for a new 535d instead with a good discount from the dealership and a bit of man maths ;) . At the time my mileage was around 20-25k, so diesel made sense (given I also wanted performance), but I've just changed roles so my mileage has dropped to <10k. I'm still pretty happy with the 535d as I really do like it's performance, and as Fox says it really doesn't sound like a diesel (most of the time!). If I'd known my mileage would drop however the 535i would definitely be in contention :)

Thanks guys, I still dont feel right telling him to do one but I have asked him to go to the dealer and get them checked. He was so exited about the car I even spent £60 getting it washed and waxed after he paid me a deposit.

If he goes into a BMW dealer they will tell him to get them replaced. They told me I needed to change mine ASAP when they had 4mm left.

Ok. So he has come back and says each one is 3mm.

I am really in 2 minds as 3mm is not that good but it's also more than legal.

I also sold a very good car 2 to 3k cheaper than the next one on the market.

Back
Top Bottom