BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
will the attractive suv please makes itself known - hopefully the saloon gets a better grill;
is that neue-klasses a re-skinned ix3 or new architecture/chassis

Soldato
I don’t what the word is but it’s not nice.
Acceptable :p

But not good enough for me really.

I had a Taycan as a loan car while my Boxster was in for service, and to drive it feels exactly like my mum's Q4 Etron, but quicker and softer suspension.

Very little to differentiate electric cars IMO already, I need more reasons to spend extra money on a premium electric car, not fewer.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm convinced BMW have just been on a constant troll for the last few years. The state of their design department... all need sacking
this lol

when/if i get round to changing from my f36 440i, the next car will NOT be a bmw if they continue to look as trashy as it does nowadays

Soldato
Acceptable :p

But not good enough for me really.

I had a Taycan as a loan car while my Boxster was in for service, and to drive it feels exactly like my mum's Q4 Etron, but quicker and softer suspension.

Very little to differentiate electric cars IMO already, I need more reasons to spend extra money on a premium electric car, not fewer.
The problem being any decent non SUV, premium and good looking EV's are far too expensive...

Associate
Any thoughts on F11 520d / 530d being a good buy in 2024? Needed something that was ULEZ compliant and motorway drives at the weekend and allowing decent storage for family trips.

It seems they released this before the F31 3 Series got the Ulez compliant engines. There are hardly any 520i from that era either to get over the Ulez.

They seem pretty loaded over the 3 Series. Anything of similar nature seems to be the A4 or A6 Avant but the 5 looks like a nicer place to sit.

Budget was circa 12k and rules out the newer generation 5.

Associate
Any issue with approved used warranty getting tyres replaced at a non authorized dealer?

What is a non authorised dealer when it comes to tyres? I have always just bought/had tyres fitted wherever I selected (Black Circles, Costco etc), the only limitation I had was once on a tyre cover product where I ended up having to use KwikFit (due to the claim/authorisation process being very slow other places couldn't be bothered).

Man of Honour
Any issue with approved used warranty getting tyres replaced at a non authorized dealer?

So for example would Kwik-Fit changing your tyres affect the AUC warranty? No, it would be fine.

If you're talking about star marked tyres or not, that should also be fine, but I could see a scenario where a dealer might make a fuss if the transfer box failed on an xDrive car, for example.

Man of Honour
Any thoughts on F11 520d / 530d being a good buy in 2024? Needed something that was ULEZ compliant and motorway drives at the weekend and allowing decent storage for family trips.

It seems they released this before the F31 3 Series got the Ulez compliant engines. There are hardly any 520i from that era either to get over the Ulez.

They seem pretty loaded over the 3 Series. Anything of similar nature seems to be the A4 or A6 Avant but the 5 looks like a nicer place to sit.

The 5 Series of this generation is a much better car than the 3 Series. I had two for almost a decade and was very happy with them. The interior is much nicer in my opinion.

The 530d is a better car than the 520d.

Associate
So for example would Kwik-Fit changing your tyres affect the AUC warranty? No, it would be fine.

If you're talking about star marked tyres or not, that should also be fine, but I could see a scenario where a dealer might make a fuss if the transfer box failed on an xDrive car, for example.
Thanks! I hadn't considered the star mark.

Associate
The 5 Series of this generation is a much better car than the 3 Series. I had two for almost a decade and was very happy with them. The interior is much nicer in my opinion.

The 530d is a better car than the 520d.

The 530d would be my choice if can find one within budget. Some are so close to the newer generation albeit with more miles.
Is there anything to look out for in-terms of niggles? Air suspension? Pan-roof leaks? That sort of thing.
The F11 to my eyes looks the better shape also in Space Grey or Carbon Black.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Is there a "drift mode" in the G80 M440i xDrive like there is in the M3/M4, or is the 4wd always on?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom