BoE confirms what we knew already: migration driving down wages

Associate
I'm talking about low paid / minimum wage jobs here the only company policy in force at this end of the job market is keep the wage bill as low as possible.

having mass unskilled immigration helps to do this.

Many European immigrants are actually over-skilled for the jobs they initially take on.

Soldato
If 10 random Poles can survive in 3 bed semi in London without a support structure or network of friends, why cant a British young person do the same? Genuine question?

Try and answer with valid reasons why not... Not just because they feel more entitled or "better" than that. How can ten minimum wage baristas and office cleaners manage it but poor Mr 18 year old Essex council trash not do it?

its purely down to mindset isn't it... It really is, no ? (and a very cushy benefit net)

the reason you're being ignored is because deep down people know that you're right! it's the attitude that stops others getting jobs! how can you not find a job in a country that you're born in yet a person with no english, new to the country, no family or friends manages to survive in say, London where prices for everything are mental!

Man of Honour
If 10 random Poles can survive in 3 bed semi in London without a support structure or network of friends, why cant a British young person do the same? Genuine question?

Because we all believe that everyone is entitled to live alone, in a place of their own, with nobody else, through unskilled work and when the wages for such work don't cover the cost of living alone in your own private house or flat we blame the system rather than ask if that's a reasonable expectation to have in the first place.

Whereas everyone else - ie Poles etc - recognise that compromises might need to be made and thus happily house share. 10 in a house sounds fairly extreme but whats wrong with the idea of a few friends in a house share? Or living with a partner? Significantly slashes your living costs.

Traditionally in the UK a household has been more than one person. Where has this massive growth in single person households come from?

Soldato
Those are issues for the people of France and Spain respectively, I don't feel entitled to an opinion because they aren't my countries.

Really.....? .....As I'm pretty sure I've seen you give your opinion on the matters of other countries daily for the last few years :p

In fact, that looks nearly sig worthy to me ;)

Caporegime
How can that be fault of the immigrants its targeting the utter wrong end of the problem. its cart before the horse mentality.

Do you leave your front door open and your valuables on display?

The fact is employers want to maximise their profits. If they can do this by screwing over employees without the taxman or anyone else finding out they will. illegal immigrants can't exactly run to the authorities to report problems can they?
Others who are legal may be afraid that if they speak up it'll cost them and others the jobs they depend upon.

Man of Honour
'British people upset that capitalism is working as intended.'

That was my thought. Ever notice that people love the low inflation and low (real terms) prices, and not wonder where they come from? Low wage costs are a vital part of capitalism, and any company which wishes to survive will find the cheapest labour it can commensurate with actually being able to do the job. If you keep wage costs down, you can sell cheaper.

First lesson of life: everything has a price.

Caporegime
That was my thought. Ever notice that people love the low inflation and low (real terms) prices, and not wonder where they come from? Low wage costs are a vital part of capitalism, and any company which wishes to survive will find the cheapest labour it can commensurate with actually being able to do the job. If you keep wage costs down, you can sell cheaper.

Zeroth lesson of life: People are easy.

Caporegime
OP

None of that changes the argument though; we live in a society where the price of labour is set by a free-ish market - the important thing is that there are laws such as minimum wage, HASAWA that protect all workers but especially those at the lower end of the market. I'm sure that we could reduce the cost (not price) of building a house if child labourers were used like they in certain parts of the world, however that *****s (stimulates) my conscience and I'm sure it does for most forum members. So we have this constant question about what protections do the most vulnerable workers need? All I want is some controls about the numbers of immigrants coming into the country.

HS2 is always in the news and part of its story is the astronomical cost. I wonder if we could reduce the cost by doing what the US did in the 18th and 19th century - get Chinese labourers in to build the railways. Is everyone OK with that? I wouldn't say so personally.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Do you leave your front door open and your valuables on display?

The fact is employers want to maximise their profits. If they can do this by screwing over employees without the taxman or anyone else finding out they will. illegal immigrants can't exactly run to the authorities to report problems can they?
Others who are legal may be afraid that if they speak up it'll cost them and others the jobs they depend upon.

Fair enough.

Working cash in hand for below minimum wage.

This day and age this is rare, but yeah, not unknown.
Pot washing, labouring, car washing, restaurants/takeaways

No reputable firm could employ you without paperwork, you cant get your foot in the door to Adecco without paperwork.

You would have every legal right in the world to expose not being paid minimum wage but as you say of course you might not speak up for fear of losing the job.

I suspect a lot of people get their wires crossed when it comes to EU migrants and non EU. They are the ones with most of the illegal black market jobs. The curry houses, the kebab shops, the car washes.

All businesses run by "foreign types" that can use their positions to gain the economic upper hand on there old country folk.

Anyway EU citizens ain't illegal immigrants They have the same rights as you or me to work in the EU. - I agree with your point 99% on the illegal side of the story.

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;28039502 said:
Because we all believe that everyone is entitled to live alone, in a place of their own, with nobody else <snip>

Traditionally in the UK a household has been more than one person. Where has this massive growth in single person households come from?

That's a very good question.

I don't know, but maybe partly because the story everyone has been sold since the 70's(?), definitely 80's is that the aspiration is to be a homeowner.

Caporegime
That's a very good question.

I don't know, but maybe partly because the story everyone has been sold since the 70's(?), definitely 80's is that the aspiration is to be a homeowner.

Indeed ! Its deffo part of the "problem"

I cant remember details or when it was exactly but one of the proposed, nasty Tory benefit cuts was for longterm unemployed folk aged <24/34 to live in shared housing? Something along those lines? The backlash was huge if i recall?

I might be completely wrong :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm talking about low paid / minimum wage jobs here the only company policy in force at this end of the job market is keep the wage bill as low as possible.

having mass unskilled immigration helps to do this.

European immigrants are more skilled than UK Citizens on average so that isn't really the issue at all.

Caporegime
None of that changes the argument though; we live in a society where the price of labour is set by a free-ish market - the important thing is that there are laws such as minimum wage, HASAWA that protect all workers but especially those at the lower end of the market. I'm sure that we could reduce the cost (not price) of building a house if child labourers were used like they in certain parts of the world, however that *****s (stimulates) my conscience and I'm sure it does for most forum members. So we have this constant question about what protections do the most vulnerable workers need?

This ^^^

Does not entail the following:
All I want is some controls about the numbers of immigrants coming into the country.

Why not simply just protect the vulnerable workers? Immigrants have nothing to do with this.

The 2 concepts are completely unrelated. Because Cats are furry we should control immigrants? What, you just don't make any sense!

Soldato

Try and answer with valid reasons why not... Not just because they feel more entitled or "better" than that. How can ten minimum wage baristas and office cleaners manage it but poor Mr 18 year old Essex council trash not do it?

its purely down to mindset isn't it... It really is, no ? (and a very cushy benefit net)

Because people never had to do that UNTIL mass immigration happened.

This is the argument that goes over people's heads.

It has drastically aided in reducing the quality of life for current British citizens. Even ones who had moved here many years prior.

You can't take it out on the immigrants, they are just people like the rest of us. It's the policy makers that have caused this problem.

If we could readily move to Canada tomorrow and be better off, I bet Brits would ship off in droves.

Man of Honour
Because people never had to do that UNTIL mass immigration happened.

So in 1970 say, you could work 9-5 in a supermarket and support yourself living alone in your own flat etc etc quite easily? In 1970 were households of just one person commonplace?

If we could readily move to Canada tomorrow and be better off, I bet Brits would ship off in droves.

You can, provided you are skilled.

Caporegime
OP
[TW]Fox;28039798 said:
So in 1970 say, you could work 9-5 in a supermarket and support yourself living alone in your own flat etc etc quite easily? In 1970 were households of just one person commonplace?

Not sure but I'm certain that you didn't get 3 bed-semis converted into dormitories for 10+ workers.

[TW]Fox;28039798 said:
You can, provided you are skilled.

Why not unskilled as well? I mean, if it's so good for us why isn't it good for other countries like Canada? Not aiming this question at you specifically

Man of Honour

Why stop there? Why not add some emotive hyperbole?

but I'm certain that you didn't get 3 bed-semis converted into dormitories for 10+ workers.

There we go :D

Why not unskilled as well? I mean, if it's so good for us why isn't it good for other countries like Canada? Not aiming this question at you specifically

It's not good for us - actually, if you wish to move to the UK and are a non EU citizen the answer is pretty much 'go away unless you are either fabulously wealthy or have family here'. But we'll gloss over that and bang on about 'open door policy' instead because...

...we are part of the EU, which allows freedom of movement of labour.

Therefore really this isn't about immigration it's about the EU. The EU is effectively supposed to be a federation of member of states - which is why it allows freedom of movement at its core. Just like in other federal systems like the USA, you can move from California to New York if you want.

If you don't like that then the problem isn't our immigration policy - which is actually very tight - it's our membership of the EU. You could even be more specific, it's about the expansion of the EU in 2004. Annoyingly we don't have a time machine but it sounds to me like the EU concept worked fine until it was expanded to include member States which were radically different in terms of standard of living.

Caporegime
OP
[TW]Fox;28039906 said:
Why stop there? Why not add some emotive hyperbole?

There we go :D

Well that was the example used by someone else that you originally responded too. Credit to you for giving a sensible answer to the second point though - I agree FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom