Borderlands 3

Caporegime
huh, looked it up and turns out shooting him in the **** does indeed work. thats my new thing learned for the day.

tbh, i think you're putting way too much thought into that mission. i just shot him in the face till he died same as the hoardes of nameless bandits, robots, soldiers, wildlife (endangered or otherwise) and frankly anyone else who had a health bar in need of draining.

i mean we're talking about a video game series that at one point asks you to blow up the ocean, it's not meant to be taken seriously.

I googled it and first result was

https://store.steampowered.com/app/469820/Genital_Jousting/

There's a steam game called genital jousting

Soldato
Reached level 40 and I'm getting so ****ed off with this game, now.

Dying in every single encounter - or rather, about 10-15 seconds *after* every encounter.

Because I'm not having any issue killing stuff, but every mob now inflicts lingering status effects on me. So I enter a room, kill everything in 5-10 seconds, then watch my shields tick down for 5-7 seconds, then watch my health tick down for 5-7 seconds, then die.

It's so incredibly lame. Everything in the room is long dead, but since they all have status effect weapons it's a pyric victory, always.

This is basically now playing out in every encounter. Every bloody encounter. It's like every SOB has a Maliwan weapon.

Never had this problem in Borderlands 2. This sequel is worse in almost every way. I guess they really, REALLY don't want you to play solo.

I did encounter the same issue, i *think* the lingering effect is from explosive barrels rather than enemies, you catch a little fire or whatever from one during the encounter and it lingers.

Tbf the borderlands series has always trolled you like that, i swear the ai is programmed to hide the moment you hit ffyl

Associate
Finished this yesterday and whilst it was mostly enjoyable I don't think I enjoyed it as much as the first Borderlands.

Seemed too easy, I pretty much stared down every boss and trophy mob without having to worry about any mechanics. Also felt like some zones were unnecessarily big and trying to go off the trail didn't provide any rewards. I remember hunting down easter eggs in Borderlands 1 and having to do some weird things at times to get to the places.

Still it's not a bad game (and I had it for free from a SSD purchase so no complaints there). Finished it and then just completely lost motivation when looking to try a different character so a swift uninstall.

Soldato
Seemed too easy, I pretty much stared down every boss and trophy mob without having to worry about any mechanics.

funny been playing bl2 recently with a colleague and noticed this. you gotta deal with certain enemies a certain way (eg crystalisks you gotta punch their feet, shoot the limbs off robots etc) so you end up carrying a gun for every occasion.

whereas bl3 you can much more easily get away with just going non-elemental and dealing with every enemy by using 1 good gun to supply enough lead.

Caporegime
Completed the main story campaign a few days ago and have kept playing for a bit after. To answer my own question: yes it does get better than the 2nd planet/act. In fact the 2nd planet was something of a low point in the campaign, having some of the most obnoxious characters you could possibly imagine, and some pretty naff side-missions. The latter stages of the game where no doubt a lot better.

That said, the main story campaign was always awful in all the parts featuring the main antagonists. They were just terrible the whole way through. The whole "social media" thing just made me groan.

Anyhoo, a few days and 10 more levels since finishing the story, today I sort of concluded that there's no point to levelling any more, or grinding loot, or anything. I've already seen the whole game, or near enough, and as fun as parts of it where, I'm lacking motivation to keep playing. No real desire to start a new character (as said the main story was awful).

Time for a new game. BL3 wasn't bad, parts were fun, but it doesn't hold a candle to BL2, imho.

Associate
Completed the main story campaign a few days ago and have kept playing for a bit after. To answer my own question: yes it does get better than the 2nd planet/act. In fact the 2nd planet was something of a low point in the campaign, having some of the most obnoxious characters you could possibly imagine, and some pretty naff side-missions. The latter stages of the game where no doubt a lot better.

That said, the main story campaign was always awful in all the parts featuring the main antagonists. They were just terrible the whole way through. The whole "social media" thing just made me groan.

Anyhoo, a few days and 10 more levels since finishing the story, today I sort of concluded that there's no point to levelling any more, or grinding loot, or anything. I've already seen the whole game, or near enough, and as fun as parts of it where, I'm lacking motivation to keep playing. No real desire to start a new character (as said the main story was awful).

Time for a new game. BL3 wasn't bad, parts were fun, but it doesn't hold a candle to BL2, imho.

As someone who only ever played (and admittedly REALLY enjoyed BL 1 and 2) will I enjoy 3? I don't really go in for all the season pass stuff so would I be "satisfied" with just the £13 edition from CD Keys or do I need the...sigh..."Complete" experience?

Associate
As someone who only ever played (and admittedly REALLY enjoyed BL 1 and 2) will I enjoy 3? I don't really go in for all the season pass stuff so would I be "satisfied" with just the £13 edition from CD Keys or do I need the...sigh..."Complete" experience?

I was dissatisfied with the BL3 storyline in the main game, the dlc was somewhat better . Where as in BL2 the storyline was amazing as was the Tiny Tina DLC.

Caporegime
I think for that price it would be hard not to get your money's worth. Think I paid £6 in an Epic sale :p

In terms of getting enjoyment from the game I've more than had my money's worth. But it wasn't the amazing experience BL2 was. The story is just plain bad, but some of the side quests are fun/funny. The main story just feels "forced" and the humour really doesn't land. The characters range from forgettable to downright annoying.

There's a stupid British girl, for example, who prefixes every word with "slagging". Why? I guess Gearbox think it's funny to portray Brits as idiots. Whilst I'm not salty about that in the slightest, it's an example of how bad the writing is in places. "That slagging guy, I hate his slagging guts, would you grab a slagging gun and help clear out his slagging lackeys? I need a slagging coffee." In the most horrific cockney accent you can imagine. Far from being funny, it was painful. Another character spends entire minutes asking if you like his moustache. An Irish guy spends minutes talking about his addiction to alcohol. Honestly, is this supposed to be funny/zany, because it's just naff. Lazy stereotypes stand in for actual humour. And no, I'm not saying BL should be politically correct, of course not. But this is a really poor attempt at humour. BL2, on the other hand, was effortlessly funny/witty/zany and stupid, and it all just clicked. BL3 feels like a bad fan fiction in terms of the writing.

The returning characters like Claptrap are also not nearly as well-written. Apparently the main story writers left Gearbox after The Pre-Sequel, and, well, it shows. Their replacements just didn't hit the same stride. It all felt "off".

The other thing you might not like is how many Legendary weapons you will literally be tripping over. They drop about every 5 minutes, and that's not even an exaggeration. In fact if you cut out travel time it's probably more than 1 a minute in some places. You will literally be selling duplicates of your Legendary gear before very long at all. "Oh, another Storm grenade? I'll just put it over here with the others."

C64

C64

Soldato
Yall played bl3 wrong i skipped the story and cutscenes this games all about the audio visual and gameplay experience
one of the best soundtracks i've heard in decades minus the storyline pop song the rest of the soundtrack is epic

Last edited:
Soldato
Thread revival...

My son just bought the standard edition Borderlands 3 from Steam, and he's really enjoying it, so we're looking at getting the DLC too.

Can I just buy an Ultimate Edition key and upgrade his version, or do I need to buy the season passes separately?

Caporegime
Lots of golden keys (and the odd diamond key) for all 4 Borderlands games being given out this month. Copy them off this page and redeem on SHIFT website (or in game)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom