Bored? Watch a sandwich go mouldy

Soldato
https://sandwich.jonesmillbank.com

We're creating a timelapse for an upcoming online course of a sandwich going mouldy, and I figured why not share the process with the world...! So I've set up a live sync of the images to display the most recent on that microsite.

Someone here's got £5 on the avo going brown by 5pm. The first photo...

start.jpg

Anyway, enjoy :D.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah, it was decided we didn't want to offend any veggies/vegans so it's Quorn 'chicken slices', hence them cracking so easily already. They'll probably look exactly the same in 3 weeks time.

Avo is to get the fire started, baby.

Soldato
OP
There should be a clock on the corner to illustrate it is a live image and not a static one?

It's not quite "live" unfortunately, there's a photo taken every 6 minutes. The eventual timelapse will actually go in reverse, from mouldy to 'good', and we expect to run it for 3 weeks, so approx 5,040 photos for 201 seconds of realtime video, probably to be sped up to 30-60s.

But yeah, I might add an overlay to say the time the last photo was taken at least.

Also, ayone better than me at PHP able to suggest a way of dynamically linking to the most recent image, if that's even possible? Obviously I've got the code to display the latest image, but is there a way of calling that via a .jpg so if embedded (like here) it'll always display the most recent photo?

Soldato
OP
There's no meat, it's quorn. That fake meat is just going to sit there, go a bit off colour and that's it.

I see gravity is having an effect on the top slice of bread now, it had started folding upwards as it went stale but now it's almost horizontal again..

Yeah I'm curious re: the Quorn. Not being a veggie I've never had the stuff or left any out obviously, but since it's made of fungus you would expect something to happen, especially with some 'kindling'.

Soldato
OP
Share some BTS photos, that would be cool!

Got a couple yesterday but not much to see really!

Three LED lights against a black curtain (toilet still usable on the other side, interestingly). A7R III with Canon 24-70mm @ f22, ISO 100, 0.6 if I remember rightly.

dymhvRa.jpg

USB cable runs under the door for the timelapse, image capture and FTP sync on a laptop in the corridor outside.

aksvC6n.jpg

We had multiple mares trying to get a dummy battery with delieries taking ages atm for anything. We had to start it given it'll take 3-4 weeks so atm I'm just changing the battery once a day but it might get moved onto power later on.

Soldato
OP
I put my bread in a ziplock bag and I swear it goes mouldy faster than this. What magical bread are you using?!

I know right. It's Warbutons thick, standard white loaf from Aldi. Perhaps because there's literally no natural light in there as well? Obviously there's the three LED lights but they won't be producing heat nor UV radiation etc.

We did consider using a baker's loaf so it was less processed but there we go.

Soldato
OP
**** just got real. I'm so surprised one got in, so quickly at least. It's a fairly small open plan office, all the windows and doors are sealed and being how things are I'm the only one going in, locking the door behind me.

There's then two toilet doors in between office and sandwich, and an industrial UV bug zapper outside the door in the kitchen.

SOAB!

Soldato
OP
We're not really sure what to do now having seen that guys channel! Sort of forgot/didn't realise about the ferocity and speed at which flies/maggots can take hold. We want it to end on being mouldy not having disappeared!

Going to keep it going today but might have to start it again but in a sealed glass box or something. Any thoughts?!

Back
Top Bottom