Bought an old BMW M3, filled with regret...

Soldato
That lasts about 5 minutes :p It has 343 HP, not 3000 ;)

I'm not so sure. I never remapped my 335i because, even after nearly 3 years of 320bhp under my right foot, never got used to the power or found it needing anymore power in any situation I had been in. Hopefully this will be the same.

It's not the same as getting your first car with 150bhp after driving your mums 1.1 yellow Fiat Punto or whatever :p I think 300-350bhp is enough personally, I can't see the need for more.

I'm pleased that I've not offended you and been of some entertainment too! ;)

Haha. The only thing it did is make me feel a bit boring because I'd give my right arm for a Realist Beige interior. :(

On the other hand I'd want it with estoril blue so maybe that means I'm well balanced? ;)

Soldato
I'm not so sure. I never remapped my 335i because, even after nearly 3 years of 320bhp under my right foot, never got used to the power or found it needing anymore power in any situation I had been in. Hopefully this will be the same.

It's not the same as getting your first car with 150bhp after driving your mums 1.1 yellow Fiat Punto or whatever :p I think 300-350bhp is enough personally, I can't see the need for more.

Need != want

:D

Man of Honour
OP
I'm not so sure. I never remapped my 335i because, even after nearly 3 years of 320bhp under my right foot, never found it needing anymore power in any situation I had been in. Hopefully this will be the same.

TBH PMK does need that massive power :D :p

I'm inclined to agree with you though. In my driving it so far I've yet to come across a situation where more power would have been wanted/needed. Overtaking a few cars required in a quick moment? No problem. Traffic light GP? No problem. Technical road ahead? No problem!

The only time I can see there being a problem is if you decide to fanny around with a big power AWD car on the road - But who does that :p

But seriously, for more legit reasons, trackdays I guess is where it would be handy - Something I don't have much interest in doing anyway!

Soldato
The guy I got my e46 off said he had the same problem regarding the water temp needle not sitting dead centre, it was a quick thermostat change and all sorted.

I need to stop looking at this thread :o

Soldato
Need != want

:D

TBH PMK does need that massive power :D :p

Both Howard and PMK are bloody yobbos

I'm inclined to agree with you though. In my driving it so far I've yet to come across a situation where more power would have been wanted/needed. Overtaking a few cars required in a quick moment? No problem. Traffic light GP? No problem. Technical road ahead? No problem!

The only time I can see there being a problem is if you decide to fanny around with a big power AWD car on the road - But who does that :p

But seriously, for more legit reasons, trackdays I guess is where it would be handy - Something I don't have much interest in doing anyway!

Yeh spot on. When you're able to overtake 6-7 cars in a row without much drama, I think its safe to say that you've got enough oomph. Not to mention that cars of similar power will get you into speeds that would see you featured on the news before you know it. Not somewhere I want to be!

Man of Honour
OP
Had a price list and options available for the guy who can reprogram stuff, I've bolded the stuff that sounds most interesting for me, some I already have so looks like previous owner did do some stuff at one point.

NCS Coding Changes (as many changes as you want for £40)

M Track Mode (Oct 2002 Onwards)
Roof or Sunroof Open / Close from key
Windows close from key (including rears on coupe)
Mirror memory position adjustment when in reverse.
Alarm Beep on lock / unlock
Alarm Flash on lock / unlock
Alarm Tone volume and Beep / Continuous Sound
Headlights Flash when Alarm Sounding
Doors lock above 5mph
Car re locks automatically if unlocked and then left for 2 minutes.
Comfort Opening (Drivers window lowers with double push of unlock)
Panic alarm (Hold boot release button)
TV in motion
Voice Recognition
Follow Me Home Lights
Double Impulse Hazards
Electric Mirrors Fold on lock/unlock (if you have electric fold)

DME Coding Changes (additional £40 for as many of the below as you want)

6MT Shift Lights (SMG already has this)
Speed limit Removal.
Enable sport button memory.
Modified Oil temperature warning light ranges.
Modified rev limits from 7900RPM up to 8200RPM
Sport Button Curve Adjustment.

I don't like using the 'fake' Sport mode but am interested in seeing what teh curve adjustment does.

I'll get those done when I'm next in the area, no rush :p

Soldato
Had a price list and options available for the guy who can reprogram stuff, I've bolded the stuff that sounds most interesting for me, some I already have so looks like previous owner did do some stuff at one point.

I don't like using the 'fake' Sport mode but am interested in seeing what teh curve adjustment does.

I'll get those done when I'm next in the area, no rush :p

Not bad.

Although you can do a lot of these from Navcoder just by ticking the boxes you want! Did it last night in about 60 seconds to allow me to leave the lights on and them turn off when the engine does, like in the E92.

Don't do the 5mph lock doors though. It's annoying as hell.

Soldato
Haha. The only thing it did is make me feel a bit boring because I'd give my right arm for a Realist Beige interior. :(

On the other hand I'd want it with estoril blue so maybe that means I'm well balanced? ;)

My current car is Monotonous Dark Blue with Realist Beige interior. It's a colour combo that can't be beaten IMHO.

But I'm going completely different with the next car, simply because I like to change.

Man of Honour
OP
Not bad.

Although you can do a lot of these from Navcoder just by ticking the boxes you want! Did it last night in about 60 seconds to allow me to leave the lights on and them turn off when the engine does, like in the E92.

Don't do the 5mph lock doors though. It's annoying as hell.

Navcoder? More details needed! Can you post up exactly what options it allows you to code? Their website doesn't list too much. If it has most of the stuff I want then it's 20 Euros and I can buy the correct cable. Saves me ~£40 if so!

I had the 5mph lock in the old car, thought it was quite neat :o

Last edited:
Caporegime
What's with the windows close from key?

Is that if you press and hold open/close on the key the windows go up/down?

You mean that's not standard? My 2001 330i had it (unless the previous owner had that done).

Man of Honour
OP
It is standard, on coupes though the rear windows will slide out to open but when you hold to close with the key, only the front windows will close leaving the rear windows open. Some safety thing or some such. The mod solves that issue by re-enabling the rear windows too from the fob.

Associate
Im sort of looking at one of these at the moment amongst other things (e92 v8), but being a torque fiend i've just noticed theyve 'only' got 262 ft lb and am after something a bit more effortless..

Man of Honour
OP
I wouldn't get hung up on the paper figure too much. It certainly doesn't feel like a 'lowly' 365Nm on the road especially with all the drama and high rev stuff going on.

All I can say is either test drive one or be driven in one so you can get a feel for it!

Last edited:
Soldato
Why is it annoying?

4 reasons:

A) Having to open the handle twice to get out.
2) Not being able to pick someone up and having to remember to unlock the doors for them.
C) I don't like the idea that if the car was involved in an accident, it may malfunction and the doors may stay locked with me inside.
4) The chance of me getting car jacked is next to nil, which is pretty much the only reason I can see to have them turned on?

If I was sat in a city everyday in traffic, and I had a nice car, then yeah, I can see the logic behind it and the minor inconveniences would be balanced off against the safety aspects to it. But for me, the minor inconveniences have nothing to be balanced off against, meaning they're minor inconveniences, which in turn become annoying. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Navcoder? More details needed! Can you post up exactly what options it allows you to code? Their website doesn't list too much. If it has most of the stuff I want then it's 20 Euros and I can buy the correct cable. Saves me ~£40 if so!

I had the 5mph lock in the old car, thought it was quite neat :o

Yep.

I'm just about to go outside and do some coding on the car (one touch 3x indicators and one touch close rear windows.)

I'll take a couple of screenshots for you.

In other news, just managed to get a pair of Genuine front brake discs from the dealer for £260! Great success.

Last edited:
Soldato
Im sort of looking at one of these at the moment amongst other things (e92 v8), but being a torque fiend i've just noticed theyve 'only' got 262 ft lb and am after something a bit more effortless..

Doesn't really feel like that though they don't half start to come alive very quickly with how responsive the throttle and engine is etc but yea it's no effortless V8 etc..

EDIT : MRK already summed up pretty much what I said :o

Back
Top Bottom