Bourbon, Rye and American Whiskey

Can't type for toffee
Don
What is similar to southern comfort please? This is the only drink of this kind that i like, would like to try others.

On Never thought...

You could try the likes of...

JD Honey - This a Far Superior to apple and done even get me started on that horrid winterjack
Jim Beam Red Stag - Very drinkable, the bottle might dissappear fast haha

Bourbon based but with added sweetness/flavour
The JD Apple I got cheap and never really worked out what you'd do with it tbh, to sweet to add sweet mixers but it didn't sit right with tonic for me.

The Jim Beam Peach seems to be getting half decent feedback, depending on how sweet it is i reckon a shot of that mixed with a shot of something cinnamon like fireball or JD cinnamon may be like a liquid peach crumble drool

Not Had JB Maple

never tried southern comfort .... but from google comments about it's spice/fruit - Black Bush whiskey ? is almost liqueurish

SoCo is very sweet miles away from normal bourbon/whiskey/whisky

Soldato
OP
How does it compare to the 101? I tried that over the weekend and it's topped my admittedly small list of Bourbons tried so far.

101 is like the higher strength more flavour punch version, regular is a little lighter.

Personally when factoring in the price I prefer regular, borderline prefer regular even ignoring price.

Wild Turkey make some good ones, Longbranch is very good.

Can't type for toffee
Don
101 is like the higher strength more flavour punch version, regular is a little lighter.

Personally when factoring in the price I prefer regular, borderline prefer regular even ignoring price.

Wild Turkey make some good ones, Longbranch is very good.

Longbranch is on my list for the next batch of amazon vouchers ;)

Also whilst not Bourbon I reckon Tincup is well worth trying, even if its just for the little cup on the bottle haha, mine get used loads :D

Soldato
OP
Longbranch is on my list for the next batch of amazon vouchers ;)

Also whilst not Bourbon I reckon Tincup is well worth trying, even if its just for the little cup on the bottle haha, mine get used loads :D

Longbranch is very good, one of the best I've had, my only issue with it is it's expensive, £45 at full whack is......:eek:

I've had a couple of bottles, I think I managed to get it on offer I want to say around the £30 mark.

I have had a couple of bottles of tincup, it's got a nice flavour if a little harsh. The first bottle I had I was a bit 50/50 on it, I seemed to enjoy the second a lot more, unless the first bottle was just a bad one (that can happen) maybe just takes a bit of getting used to.

Just like this Sazerac Rye, the first bottle I had me and a mate demolished nearly the whole lot better n an evening, and I think I polished the rest off pretty quickly after. I bought another bottle few weeks later and if I'm honest, on borderline struggling to drink it. Weird.

I have come to the conclusion though I prefer Bourbon to Rye.

Soldato
Need a little stock up, not seen many decent offers lately.

Im the same with not wanting to spend more than £30, I used to spend up to £70 sometimes, but I just can't justify them prices anymore.
Lately I have been buying Makers, preferring that to Buffalo now, but can't go wrong with either.

I would love to try Mitchers rye but again, its around £50 and I have yet to see that on offer, I've tried the sour mash from them and it was nice from what I remember but no way worth £50.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Need a little stock up, not seen many decent offers lately.

Im the same with not wanting to spend more than £30, I used to spend up to £70 sometimes, but I just can't justify them prices anymore.
Lately I have been buying Makers, preferring that to Buffalo now, but can't go wrong with either.

I would love to try Mitchers rye but again, its around £50 and I have yet to see that on offer, I've tried the sour mash from them and it was nice from what I remember but no way worth £50.

Why I so highly rate Maker Mark, you just can't go wrong, particularly when it's on offer £20.

Permabanned
Can anyone tell me if the Whistlepig 10 is worth the jump in price when compared to the 6? Looking to get my dad a decent bottle and I think he'd quite like a nice Rye.

Soldato
OP

Good price but it's about mid table for me.

Edit: saying that just ordered 2 bottles!

Edit 2: I've realised it was the small batch version I've tried, I've never tried this yellow label version before, it looks to be the more basic version, but as I've found with bourbon they are often better.

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Good price but it's about mid table for me.

Edit: saying that just ordered 2 bottles!

Edit 2: I've realised it was the small batch version I've tried, I've never tried this yellow label version before, it looks to be the more basic version, but as I've found with bourbon they are often better.
Yeah i started on the square bottle, moved down to the ovalish one and preferred it.

had a few bottles of the yellow and it goes down too easy haha

my supermarket goto is still Jim beam

Soldato
OP
@~Divine~Wind~

This Four Roses is very good, particularly at £16 or whatever a bottle.

Just at opened the bottle and still had a bottle of Wild Turkey open so tried it side by side and it's definitely better.

And as suspected (in my opinion) it's better than the premium version Four Roses I tried a while back.

I will add it to my table a bit later.

Can't type for toffee
Don
@~Divine~Wind~

This Four Roses is very good, particularly at £16 or whatever a bottle.

Just at opened the bottle and still had a bottle of Wild Turkey open so tried it side by side and it's definitely better.

And as suspected (in my opinion) it's better than the premium version Four Roses I tried a while back.

I will add it to my table a bit later.

Aye tis decent and as you say I think it fares very well compared to the more premium bottles of 4R

Soldato
As it was my birthday recently I bought myself a bottle of Mitchers Rye, that Ive been wanting to try for a long time, I don't normally spend £45+ on whiskey anymore so it was a one off special occasion purchase, anyway its very nice, out of the ryes Ive tried, I would say the best.

Permabanned
As it was my birthday recently I bought myself a bottle of Mitchers Rye, that Ive been wanting to try for a long time, I don't normally spend £45+ on whiskey anymore so it was a one off special occasion purchase, anyway its very nice, out of the ryes Ive tried, I would say the best.

Great isn't it. OG Whistle Pig is still tops for me but this is a close second at the price point.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Is that the 10yo one, I see it on Amazon £75, maybe try it one day perhaps my next birthday:D

It's not no. The 6 year is the cheapest in their range, can usually get it for around £40. The 10 year is excellent but I don't think it's that much better then the 6.

Was at my dads last night and he poured me a glass of Uncle Nearest 1856. Very nice! Usually I'm not 100% on board with the big proof stuff as it tastes a bit like formaldehyde (I assume...), but this was really neatly balanced with a suprisingly buttery finish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom