BP Ultimate over Shell V-Power (Diesel) ?

Caporegime
OP
For me, VP (diesel) is not about performance gains (there isn’t any) it’s about reducing soot - to preserve the DPF - which from what I’ve seen it’s very good at, I was wondering if I’d gain any economic benefit from changing to BP but it’s not a biggie given I’m getting 48 around town already. :)

Soldato
Hehehhheheheh

From what I can tell the higher octane petrols only affect cars that are specifically mapped and have the correct compression ratio to make use of them. In most regular cars it wont make a blind bit of difference. I have no idea if this is still the same with desiels.

As for the "cleaners" they put in, I am sceptical, but who knows?

That being said I always put premium in my motorcycle, but thats because it costs me about 20p more per tank, that being said, probably 20p I am throwing away!

Yep the higher ron is to prevent knock in high compression engines and allow optimal power (which is usually ones which rev higher than the normal 6.5k). It won't automatically give you more power, you need an engine tuned to use it.

As for premium diesel, who knows.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
This is petrol, but with my Smart, Vpower definitely makes the car smoother and improves the mpg. BP Ultimate less so.
If I move to ‘normal’ Bp/Shell petrol, after about half a tank the car becomes far more hesitant and ‘odd’ is all I can say.
Maybe it’s because it’s a turbo - albeit a small one?!

Soldato
his has no history at all and he said it’s not been serviced since he’s had it (2+ years)

I just can't get over the fact that someone goes to the expense of fuelling their car with the most expensive fuel available but then doesn't bother to service it :confused:

Caporegime
Octane and cetane are opposites. Diesels combustion is petrol knock!

Higher cetane will mean quieter diesel knock as the fuel ignites more easily however the real benefit is keeping injectors clean inside and out and so the fuel spray is maintained. This is the long term benefit that you won’t notice in a direct comparison.

Clean injectors will mean better spray, better economy and cleaner emissions

Soldato
You use Ultimate Diesel in a ZT?!?

Unlike super unleaded it's a waste of money buying premium diesel imho.

I have 120k of data that suggests branded/premium diesel gives slightly better mpg, possibly burning more cleanly. Shell for example use a gas to liquid process for it’s premium diesel unlike anyone else im aware of.

My best average result is with normal Shell diesel at 37mpg (stop laughing, it’s an inefficient old 4x4 with 120k on it), the worst is Harvester at 31mpg, all the supermarket stuff averages out within 1mpg of each other (32-33mpg), the best value is Costco Premium which returns an average of 34mpg but is cheaper than supermarket fuel. Now all of that is within a relatively consistent range of deviation allowing for driving conditions, temperature, winter fuel additive and sample size etc. and objectively is only suggestive at best.

What I can’t dismiss as easily is the variable vane system on my turbo, after 120k of service the control ring has become slightly sticky, it’s only noticeable under hard acceleration up hill when down shifting, but it’s repeatable, daily. If I run supermarket/no name fuel it happened daily at the same place, if i run Shell/BP/Costco premium fuel, then I don’t have the problem. The same behaviour has been reported by other owners with the same engine/issue.

Have I bored everyone to death yet?

Caporegime
Yes to the above.

No to the OP.

But then I've not had one car longer than 30K miles, and I've not had a complex diesel engined car only old 1.9TDI's. Nor have I taken an engine or fuel system apart to inspect for wear or cleanliness... I very much doubt a change in fuel economy, but who knows... My Octavia got a few less MPG on chip fat (about 50:50 with diesel) than on supermarket diesel. So I guess expensive vs cheap diesel *could* make a difference?

As far as petrol goes though, my old BMW is very unhappy on supermarket 95 but runs smooth as silk on Shell 95. So there's obviously a difference there. Whole different kettle of fish though.

Last edited:
Associate
You need to understand that 'premium' diesels are not a separate product to 'normal' diesels like super unleaded is, it is merely the same base grade of diesel with a double shot of additive in it (it still a TINY amount, i cant give figures but its still way less that 100ppm). Yes it might affect the cetane rating etc but its very very marginal and imo not worth it.

There is only one supermarket derv that has no additive that I know of (the ones who like to think they are a 'market' /cough)

(Source - Its my job, not internet hearsay and marketing nonsense)

Soldato
Again, purely anecdotal

But in my, very old, Non-Electronic, Non-DPF diesels, I seem to get noticeably less smoke when pushed hard (IE Kick-down to red line) using the premium fuel (And my old E36 petrol seems to run great on shell V But then it is designed to be able to do so)

On the other hand, since the only time I ever have to red-line my old diesels is when I am compelled to pass cyclists, perhaps I should save my pennies and just go back to using the smokey stuff!

:D

Caporegime
OP
I just can't get over the fact that someone goes to the expense of fuelling their car with the most expensive fuel available but then doesn't bother to service it :confused:
Asked him this morning, he said it had been serviced just before he bought it and has only done 8k Miles in 2years so wasn’t too bothered, he said he might replace the oil in the summer but he’s not bothered about the car it’s purely a work hack his pride and joy is a 1989 20V Audi Quattro which I didn’t know about which he’s owned for over 20 years - this is serviced a bit more often!

Caporegime
Asked him this morning, he said it had been serviced just before he bought it and has only done 8k Miles in 2years so wasn’t too bothered, he said he might replace the oil in the summer but he’s not bothered about the car it’s purely a work hack his pride and joy is a 1989 20V Audi Quattro which I didn’t know about which he’s owned for over 20 years - this is serviced a bit more often!

why is he using premium fuel?

Permabanned
I’ve always thought super diesel juice is a bit of false economy, you may get a couple more mpg’s but you pay more per tank to fill it.

I used to use millers additives in the Fabia for a while but no longer do, not sure what difference it made to be honest.

With the Pulsar i’d always use 97+, because the car is mapped for it and you increase chance of detonation using 95 which could end up being quite expensive to repair, so it would make more sense to not use the watered down petrol.

Soldato
You need to understand that 'premium' diesels are not a separate product to 'normal' diesels like super unleaded is, it is merely the same base grade of diesel with a double shot of additive in it (it still a TINY amount, i cant give figures but its still way less that 100ppm). Yes it might affect the cetane rating etc but its very very marginal and imo not worth it.

There is only one supermarket derv that has no additive that I know of (the ones who like to think they are a 'market' /cough)

(Source - Its my job, not internet hearsay and marketing nonsense)

What about Costco Diesel, thats what i use purely as its the cheapest. I do occasionally add my own additives as well.

Associate
When I drove a tractor (diesel) I found it much cheaper to just fill up at Asda and add some Millers diesel additive rather than pay for premium diesel and the benefits were the same

Man of Honour
When I drove a tractor (diesel) I found it much cheaper to just fill up at Asda and add some Millers diesel additive rather than pay for premium diesel and the benefits were the same

How do you know what the benefits are? It all seems to be conjecture and anecdotes.

Associate
I just had loads of issues with my insignia so wanted a bit of a cleaner burn and to try and stop the DPF filling up so quickly. Regens were less frequent when I started using millers but only by a couple of hundred miles.

Associate
Presumably he tore down his engine periodically over a number of miles and had a look. :p

I meant that premium diesel apparently has more additives than normal so I was getting the additives without paying for the premium diesel by adding the millers

Soldato
Only way to really know is look inside the engine.

I've seen a 16 year old petrol engine which was always run on v-power/premium taken to bits. That was squeaky clean inside.

Back
Top Bottom