BP Ultimate over Shell V-Power (Diesel) ?

Caporegime
There were independant tests a while ago and they found that Momentum had a higher octane rating than VPower, think it was something like 100 - 101 whereas VPower was 98 - 99.

I can't be arsed to find it. :p

Soldato
From my research where I owned the focus st. Costco 99 is the same as momentum 99 but cheaper. Momentum 99 has more octane than shell, but can "go stale" as they say, quicker.

Shell is more reliable in the sense of keeping the octane rating than tesco.

Last edited:
Associate
For me, VP (diesel) is not about performance gains (there isn’t any) it’s about reducing soot - to preserve the DPF - which from what I’ve seen it’s very good at

I'm a bit late to the party here but completely agree with this^

A mate of mine has an old remapped Vectra 1.9tdi which puts a load of black smoke out the back if he puts his foot down after a fill up on Morrisons cheap Diesel. If he fills up on VP the amount of smoke is greatly reduced, so its obviously running a lot cleaner on the VP.
For this reason I put it in my F30 330d regularly.

Soldato
No difference in fuel economy between premium and standard diesel in my BMW 530d, according to my Fuelio records. In fact, the best results have always been from the cheapest supermarket diesel. But they're all within a margin of error.

I don't believe there's any difference between branded and supermarket diesel. I use premium diesel occasionally for its cleaning properties.

Caporegime
OP
With this thread in mind I asked at work what fuel our trucks use as I’ve noticed our Scania’s don’t seem to regenerate at all and the non DPF equipped older MAN trucks (which on average have north of 900,000km under their wheels) don’t seem to smoke at all, I was told it was a fuel with detergent additives from their bulk supplier, the equivalent of VP or BP Ultimate, and - interestingly - they said the higher purchase price per litre was more than offset by increased mpg across the fleet but more so by DPF issues with the Scania trucks in 2015 when they started buying the brand being resolved by switching to effectively premium fuel.

Caporegime
I have to say Tesco 99 makes my R8 feel the best. I hate the fact I am using it, but it just makes the car sharper than Shell VPower.

I am going to get rickets for something?

Costco get their fuel from the same refinery / supplier as Tesco and apparently it's the same mix. May be worth giving it a go

Caporegime
OP
Id go for 5l of BP Ultimate to be safe.
:D

Apologies for high-jacking but i've got to change the oil in my Audi A4. It states that it takes 3.8L, could I put in 4L and get away with it?
I’m a bit puzzled as to why you’ve put this in this thread, but I wouldn’t worry about an overfill of 200ml in the grand scheme of things.

Radical idea, if it says it takes 3.8litres, put 3.8 in not 4. ;)

Back
Top Bottom