*breaking news* Boston Marathon explosions

Soldato
Mystery man spotted on rooftop moments after the explosions happened.

Looks like something out of the bourne films where they watch the detenation from above as it happens \: - DM article but the picture speaks for itself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ectly-overhead-bomb-goes-Boston-Marathon.html

This was discussed a couple of pages back. If you look at the picture there are a couple of plants and sun loungers up there. Seems like a pretty chilled terrorist :p

Caporegime
I find it odd that people get more outraged over the death of a few people to a bomb than the 45,000 children who die every single day to starvation/preventable diseases - or when a bomb lands on a school in Afghanistan/Iraq killing a whole bunch of kids nobody cares.

Yeah, lets not get too upset about this. Don't forget to make a thread every time a starving African child dies and don't forget to post about the tens of bombs going off in the Middle East every day. Let's make a whole new 'morning and sorrow' forum to cover these specific events because obviously if you don't post in a thread about it you don't care.

It's obvious why people are more shocked and outraged by this, because it could have happened to them and you don't expect to be blown up in the middle of a city while taking part in a marathon. Don't just boil it down to three deaths either, there's over a hundred injured, some of those are nasty too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I find it odd that people get more outraged over the death of a few people to a bomb than the 45,000 children who die every single day to starvation/preventable diseases - or when a bomb lands on a school in Afghanistan/Iraq killing a whole bunch of kids nobody cares.

When one man decides to kill three people over some stupid act of revenge he's evil (I'd guess in this case - when an entire political party decides to deny a majority of the population healthcare resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands that's just politics.

Why?

If something happens on your doorstep or country you've visited / people you care about i think you have every right to be 'outraged', it hits home because the people / customs / way of life are closer to you, we can relate to it.

We can't really relate to the children starving in africa because we've never visited / been placed in that situation.

American culture, way of life / values don't really differ to that of the UK, the events in Boston stike a chord with those bombings in London.

Soldato
Yeah, lets not get too upset about this. Don't forget to make a thread every time a starving African child dies and don't forget to post about the tens of bombs going off in the Middle East every day. Let's make a whole new 'morning and sorrow' forum to cover these specific events because obviously if you don't post in a thread about it you don't care.

It's obvious why people are more shocked and outraged by this, because it could have happened to them. Don't just boil it down to three deaths either, there's over a hundred injured, some of those are nasty too.

Agreed. We are desensitized by it in the middle east, it "happens all the time". At the start it was reported a lot in the news, less so now because it isnt out of the norm, We relate more to America as it is more like GB.
This of course doesn't make it less terrible in the middle east, its just how the news/we work.

Soldato
I'm sure a lot of people would like a shirt to show their support. American's think differently to us in this regard.

(EDIT: This comment took a while to post between writing it and submitting... it's from the previous page I think).

Last edited:
Soldato

It's obvious why people are more shocked and outraged by this, because it could have happened to them and you don't expect to be blown up in the middle of a city while taking part in a marathon. Don't just boil it down to three deaths either, there's over a hundred injured, some of those are nasty too.
The point it's only a few people.

It's nothing compared to what's happening on a day to day basis to others around the world - people seem to like to get outraged for the sake of it.

Instead of getting outraged I'd suggest people start to use that bit of flaccid goo between their ears instead.

Moro-so in this case if it turns out to as a result of Islamic terrorism (which is a direct result of US foreign policy).

Getting outraged & screaming "OMG TEWORWISTS ARE EBIL, HANG THE PEOPLE OWW DID IT" isn't exactly productive & what I'd expect from an idiot.

Why?

If something happens on your doorstep or country you've visited / people you care about i think you have every right to be 'outraged', it hits home because the people / customs / way of life are closer to you, we can relate to it.

We can't really relate to the children starving in africa because we've never visited / been placed in that situation.

American culture, way of life / values don't really differ to that of the UK, the events in Boston stike a chord with those bombings in London.
I know why it happens, it's just odd that so many of the population can't see past these mostly fictional cultural barriers.

You should perhaps do some more reading on human psychology then.
I know why it happens, I'm just surprised at how frequently it does.

Agreed. We are desensitized by it in the middle east, it "happens all the time". At the start it was reported a lot in the news, less so now because it isnt out of the norm, We relate more to America as it is more like GB.
This of course doesn't make it less terrible in the middle east, its just how the news/we work.
Indeed, it's just depressing that for most people empathy is as good as skin/culturally deep & that our media further promote that kind of mindset.

The main point is, listening to people who in reality don't give two craps about human suffering pretend to be decent human beings by condemning the actions of these terrorists while supporting ideologies & political changes which directly cause equal amounts or more human suffering is simply annoying.

Last edited:
Soldato
The main point is, listening to people who in reality don't give two craps about human suffering pretend to be decent human beings by condemning the actions of these terrorists while supporting ideologies & political changes which directly cause equal amounts or more human suffering is simply annoying.

how the hell do you know how others feel?

Soldato
elmarko> So what do you actively do about all these terrible acts in other countries to raise awareness or support them?

Makes high and mighty posts on forums. :rolleyes:

Anyway....

I really am surprised that no one has claimed responsibility yet. Its not like Oslo where the guy just went about it knowing he would be caught.

Associate

When one man decides to kill three people over some stupid act of revenge he's evil (I'd guess in this case - when an entire political party decides to deny a majority of the population healthcare resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands that's just politics.

8 dead 144 injured was it 14 lost legs~

btw those car bombs in Iraq/afgan are mostly from terrorists that the coalition tries to stop.

so the 7/7 attacks here people shouldn't of been upset? -

if you want to help prevent starvation around the world you are free to do so like everyone else ...

Soldato
Why?

Don't think it's got anything to do with being on your door step (Africa is closer to us than the US, well most of it is).

I'd say it's more about prevelence, kids have been starving in Africa everyday for decades. To put it harshly, it's just not 'interesting' (in the newsworthy sense) anymore. Sadly, that's also true of drone strikes in the Middle East.

How often does a bomb go in in the US in comparison? Not very often at all hence why it's such big news.

Caporegime
Instead of getting outraged I'd suggest people start to use that bit of flaccid goo between their ears instead.

What do you suggest they do then? I am genuinely interested.

Are you saying we should not be upset we see things like this happen and we should just accept it because US foreign policy lends itself to annoying extremists who seek any excuse to cause trouble and maim people?

Lots of people care about what's going on around the world, but it's possible they can care a bit more when it's such a familiar environment with people like us and it's big news because it's something that doesn't happen regularly.

It's easy to call everyone an idiot but it's a highly emotive subject.

Soldato
how the hell do you know how others feel?
Because I hear the same kind of stupid rhetoric on here & in real life in the media & in all public places.

elmarko> So what do you actively do about all these terrible acts in other countries to raise awareness or support them?
Try reading what I posted, I'm talking about people who actively support ideologies & changes which cause equal amounts of suffering.

What do I do?, I support a myriad of different social movements which aim at reducing total human suffering, politically & socially.

I don't have to justify myself to somebody like you - I'm simply pointing out hypocrisy - sorry if I hit a nerve.

Makes high and mighty posts on forums. :rolleyes:
Better than making braindead posts on the forum. ;)

8 dead 144 injured was it 14 lost legs~

btw those car bombs in Iraq/afgan are mostly from terrorists that the coalition tries to stop.
Oh dear...

so the 7/7 attacks here people shouldn't of been upset? -
What are you even talking about?.

I'm saying people should maintain perspective & try to avoid hypocrisy.

Try arguing against what I said.

I didn't say people shouldn't be upset - just they should try thinking a little more (which the last few posts hight-light quite well).

if you want to help prevent starvation around the world you are free to do so like everyone else ...
Again, what does that have to do with anything?.

What do you suggest they do then? I am genuinely interested.
A good question.

(FYI, I don't mind if people don't care - would just prefer them to admit it)

For one if they are genuinely opposed to this kind of event (beyond simply "getting out-raged") then spend some time reading up on the possible causes & ways of preventing this kind of attack from occurring in the future.

Recognise the role our nation & the US plays in creating a breeding ground for terrorism & by giving them a reason to attack us.

I mean just a few examples if the person wishes to reduce total human suffering (if that's what they object to).

Don't do the following.

Vote for X party which supports ideologies which cause excessive suffering.

Purchase form Y shop which uses child labour in the third world.

Invest in company Z which causes excessive pollution in the third world (resulting in significant loss of life through water pollution/destruction of arable land).

The list is endless, but the point remains - don't pretend to be against loss of human life if you support it when it benefits you (indirectly) - (note that's not directed at you, just at the public)

My problem with it is this -

Idiots simply getting out-raged then forgetting about it tomorrow until the next thing happens - repeat ad-infinitum.

While in-between these events supporting policies, businesses & practices which cause an equal amount of pain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom