BREAKING: Paris landmark, Notre Dame Cathedral, is on fire!

Soldato
e: Being apathetic to everything is not a good way to go through life. "It doesn't affect me, I will have no opinion. Oh wait now something does effect me but I'm screwed because I was apathetic to all the things to lead to that, and did nothing about it. Oops."
How will this ever screw you? You get closed down churches turned into Wetherspoons pubs rather than being knocked down for flats (and they restore them very well!). What is your specific concern in this case which is somewhere in a very multicultural city, shouldn't we leave it up to what the people there want?

Soldato
I think the French should just do what they want with it, bulldoze it and build a modern brick church, I love them,

Like this one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guildford_Cathedral

I have always wanted to give the approach to that the "Cathedral of Light" treatment! (Spotlights lining each side of the drive up the hill from the Surrey Uni roundabout)

In combination with some, erm, "Appropriate" banners and attending crowd, The effect would be quite stunning. There is a movie set just waiting! ;) :p

If you are familiar with the area, you will know what I am getting at!

:cool: :D

Caporegime
You
It's fairly on-topic atm after comments about Notre Dame being updated to be more inclusive to other faiths. Bang-on topic, in fact.

Also get used the idea that people don't like "multi-culturalism". You can pretend this isn't the start of a backlash, but you'd be wrong. It's coming. All over Europe, it's coming.
see that almost bordering on threats and hate speech tbh.

Caporegime
How will this ever screw you? You get closed down churches turned into Wetherspoons pubs rather than being knocked down for flats (and they restore them very well!). What is your specific concern in this case which is somewhere in a very multicultural city, shouldn't we leave it up to what the people there want?

You can't compare the Notre Dame to a random church in some crappy town.

You see that almost bordering on threats and hate speech tbh.

:D

What's "hate speech" about warning of the inevitable?

Society isn't getting better is it? It's getting worse and is more divided than ever. It will almost certainly reach a point where multiple groups have completely had enough and **** will hit the fan. We had a small taste of it in France recently.

Caporegime
Where do you even start, if your goal is to make a cathedral "less Christian"? I mean what does that actually translate to?

No altar? No pews? No stained-glass windows? No organ? No angels, cherubs, etc on the walls?

Do you actually incorporate features from temples to other faiths? Have a Buddha in one corner?

The thing is we described the old building as being built in a "Gothic style" not a "Christian style". So how do you make a building "less Christian"?

Soldato
You can't compare the Notre Dame to a random church in some crappy town.
Some people in those 'crappy towns' might like their churches, who is to say they didn't care more than them than those who care about the Notre Dame? What if it happened to your local church?

Being apathetic to everything is not a good way to go through life. "It doesn't affect me, I will have no opinion. Oh wait now something does effect me but I'm screwed because I was apathetic to all the things to lead to that, and did nothing about it. Oops."

Soldato
Some people in those 'crappy towns' might like their churches, who is to say they didn't care more than them than those who care about the Notre Dame? What if it happened to your local church?

Being apathetic to everything is not a good way to go through life. "It doesn't affect me, I will have no opinion. Oh wait now something does effect me but I'm screwed because I was apathetic to all the things to lead to that, and did nothing about it. Oops."

I think the point is that Notre Dame is a historic building known worldwide, whereas most churches are only really known to their congregation

Soldato
I think the point is that Notre Dame is a historic building known worldwide, whereas most churches are only really known to their congregation
Haha, I know, sorry I was trying to be a bit meta by repeating a question back.

Can you imagine when they built the newish (now sadly destroyed) Notre Dame steeple in the 19th century though. Thank goodness this forum didn't exist back then.

Caporegime
Can you imagine when they built the newish (now sadly destroyed) Notre Dame steeple in the 19th century though. Thank goodness this forum didn't exist back then.
Do you think they built the steeple to make the cathedral "less Christian"? If not then what exactly is your point, here?

Caporegime
I know you ignored it before, but how will it 'screw you' if it's 'less Christian'? You only see it on TV surely.
It doesn't need to affect me personally tomorrow for me to be opposed to it on principle.

It is symptomatic of a movement (which some call "liberal") that seeks to erase traditional western values and supplant them with a hostile, foreign culture/religion/political system.

In other words, it's part of a bigger picture. You don't see the big picture if you only ever worry about the immediate problems facing your village.

e: Now perhaps you'll explain how your comment about the steeple fits in with this discussion. Because it seems you're just clutching at straws/nonsense.

Soldato
It doesn't need to affect me personally tomorrow for me to be opposed to it on principle.

It is symptomatic of a movement (which some call "liberal") that seeks to erase traditional western values and supplant them with a hostile, foreign culture/religion/political system.

In other words, it's part of a bigger picture. You don't see the big picture if you only ever worry about the immediate problems facing your village.

But you said this to describe how I think:

"It doesn't affect me, I will have no opinion. Oh wait now something does effect me but I'm screwed because I was apathetic to all the things to lead to that, and did nothing about it. Oops."

How will I be screwed? I tend to move around quite a bit, should I be avoiding certain places in case there are no traditional western values? Will I end up stuck in my mum's basement, scared to go outside or something?

Caporegime
But you said this to describe how I think:

"It doesn't affect me, I will have no opinion. Oh wait now something does effect me but I'm screwed because I was apathetic to all the things to lead to that, and did nothing about it. Oops."

How will I be screwed? I tend to move around quite a bit, should I be avoiding certain places in case there are no traditional western values? Will I end up stuck in my mum's basement, scared to go outside or something?
Very good, a basement joke.

Funny how I (a "right-wing" idiot clearly too stupid to understand the benefits of cultural enrichment) doesn't have to resort to personal attacks, yet the "enlightened" liberals use it as a go-to tactic in their "discussions".

One wonders who the real idiots might be.

Soldato
Who are "people"?

Just thought I'd requote.

This appears to be an argument created (or at most exaggerated from a few individuals) to vilify a certain group the far right already holds massive prejudices against.

Note also it is only the spire that needs to be rebuilt, so will still be a gothic cathedral, whatever that turns out to look like.

Back
Top Bottom