Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. And this was clear from the moment the first mainland result came in on results night, from Sunderland.

It's not the first time it's happened in history and it'll likely not be the last. But it is sickening to see this still dressed up as some kind of win for the ordinary working person. As you say, it'll become more apparent with time. But that won't stop all the pain that's going to unfold.

Still, if the government is going to run a referendum that results in major constitutional change like some reality show eviction vote, what can anyone expect?

If the politicians sit back and let chaos unfold, just because Dave decided to gamble the nations future on red, nobody will thank them. They not only have the power to stop it, they have a obligation.

I will never vote for a party again that doesn't have some sort of policy commitment to put a second check on this decision, and I'm sure many others feel the same.

Have you gone through your posts?

They are all ridiculous.

Explain then why everything is going crazy those are links to informative sites some government. the last link was a government site.

Explain to me why there are increasing problem that are now hitting western countries, you telling me that its all coincidence.

Boris Johnson 2013: "Quitting the EU won't solve our problems"
Boris in the past two days:
'The margin by which the UK voted to leave the EU was "not entirely overwhelming"'
"UK will continue to "intensify" cooperation with EU."
"The only change - and it will not come in any great rush - is that the UK will extricate itself from the EU's extraordinary and opaque system of legislation"

If you're a leave voter and you don't feel a pinch of regret, shame on you. Perhaps not because of the implications of voting leave, but definitely because you allowed lying dirty politicians to play into the hearts of the countries poorest, spouting absolute nonsense for political gain. And if the past two days and the statements the winning side have given (which shout 'this has been a hollow victory and we're not happy about it') haven't got you thinking about this, you will in the near future.

No, look at he faces of some of the political leaders in the EU they are all scared, look at the way our political parties are crumbling when has that ever happened, look at how both side pushed fear and intimidation to its subjects.

The queen even asked give her 3 reasons why we should be in the EU.

wtf this is how crazy its got, arent you a bit interested in whats really going on.

http://www.greenpeace.org/internati...-destroyed-for-a-military-base-no/blog/54707/

Juncker
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/eu-commission-president-juncker-under-fire-a-1098232.html
looks like Spain going to have another vote in December so EU is calm for now.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the optimistic posts from Brexiters as the pound plummets headfirst into oblivion today. Which excuse will it be today?

For how long can their rather awkward denial continue..

Looking forward to the optimistic posts from Brexiters as the pound plummets headfirst into oblivion today. Which excuse will it be today?

For how long can their rather awkward denial continue..

That was never in question. It was obvious this was going to happen.

It's the reality when the dust has all settled that is being looked to.

The EU is a stagnant mess, and the more poorer nations that join it suddenly things will look rosier for us.

This vote was like asking which hand to cut off. There was never going to be a real winner.

Pound to Euro is the same as it was at the end of 2014, didn't hear anyone complaining about the end of the world then. Big deal, the pound is weak at the moment, not surprising considering what the UK has just done.

Pound to dollar is the more important rate. That's the one to blame when the cost of filling your car climbs.

Never mind though, something about Sovereignty.

I would say Iceland, Switzerland, Norway and the UK would have some serious Financial Clout, probably more than enough together to squeeze the EU for some very good deals, better deals that the EU would concede to each of those Countries alone. But what do I know, I just tell people to go to Rhyl whenever they ask 'Spec me a holiday'.

Are you saying Countries have more clout when doing business negotiations if they are in a group rather than alone.....?

Hmmm....

Remember the warnings from the likes of the UK Treasury, International Monetary Fund, the OECD and loads of independent researchers and banks?

Seems those who went with their 'gut feeling' and desire to make Britain great again, who went against the warnings of disaster from the aforementioned might have got it wrong. All weekend Brexiters have been banging on about how the pound finished high on Friday as a counter argument for it's initial decline. As if it was going to stay there.

I just cannot fathom how anyone can see any good coming of this. Even the senior figures who fought the leave campaign have crawled away into the shadows of the looming recession which is going to absolutely cripple the poor and working class.

As controversial as it sounds (actually it's quite obvious to me), I simply do not see any financial benefit in leaving the EU.

[TW]Fox;29697398 said:
Pound to dollar is the more important rate. That's the one to blame when the cost of filling your car climbs.

Never mind though, something about Sovereignty.

The cost of public transport already went up before this mess.

In fact they put it up just as fuel costs dropped to its lowest in ages.

I will just use my car less on the weekend, done. It's balanced out.

[TW]Fox;29697398 said:

Don't have a car then if you can't afford an £2 a week to refuel it.

Pound to dollar in Feb of this year was pretty much what it is now, 1.38 in Feb, 1.34 atm, still didn't hear anything about the end of the world.

Last edited:
Remember the warnings from the likes of the UK Treasury, International Monetary Fund, the OECD and loads of independent researchers and banks?

Seems those who went with their 'gut feeling' and desire to make Britain great again, who went against the warnings of disaster from the aforementioned might have got it wrong. All weekend Brexiters have been banging on about how the pound finished high on Friday as a counter argument for it's initial decline. As if it was going to stay there.

I just cannot fathom how anyone can see any good coming of this. Even the senior figures who fought the leave campaign have crawled away into the shadows of the looming recession which is going to absolutely cripple the poor and working class.

As controversial as it sounds (actually it's quite obvious to me), I simply do not see any financial benefit in leaving the EU.

Will you still feel the same once trade agreements are in place with the nations who actually have growing economies and not stagnant ones?

Of course not, but it's going to take time.

The world is greater than the EU.

Will you still feel the same once trade agreements are in place with the nations who actually have growing economies and not stagnant ones?

Speculative and baseless optimism. If these agreements are drawn up, of course my attitude will change. I just don't see it happening. At least not anytime soon - and certainly not soon enough to prevent the dismal existence the UK (and soon to be former UK) will be plunged into.

no he hasn't - read the Telegraph article... the whole article

he's advocating a points based system, not freedom of movement that we currently have

He doesn't say that would be applied to EU citizens though does he...and he also says

I cannot stress too much that Britain is part of Europe, and always will be. There will still be intense and intensifying European cooperation and partnership in a huge number of fields: the arts, the sciences, the universities, and on improving the environment. EU citizens living in this country will have their rights fully protected, and the same goes for British citizens living in the EU.

British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down. As the German equivalent of the CBI – the BDI – has very sensibly reminded us, there will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market. Britain is and always will be a great European power, offering top-table opinions and giving leadership on everything from foreign policy to defence to counter-terrorism and intelligence-sharing – all the things we need to do together to make our world safer.

Ah you must be referring to a trade deal with china, last mentioned about 3 days ago with phrases like "500 negotiators" and "ten years".

I wouldn't be against that if we were well on the way down that route already.

But no, we are stone cold on any such thing because this was not even considered a realistic outcome.

Should be fine, few decades down the line we might almost have the stability and international value we had last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom