Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
You'll be able to get the best staff now internationally, not just from within Europe. We'll be able to let in more people from the rest of the world.

That's not relevant to the my reply to the poster I quote, but to address yours:

How so? Isn't it Leave's policy to curb immigration as a whole?

(Speaking from my experience/industry alone)
Whilst nothing against the rest of the world's engineers, one from Europe would be preferential because structural engineers design to European Standards, which have superseded British Standards. Therefore, most European engineers should be already well versed in its use. Leaving the EU isn't going to mean going back to the old British Standards. It is here to stay. I am not promising it, but am 99% sure it will. it is what has been taught in all UK universities for the last 10 years (approx).
https://www.istructe.org/getattachment/16f336ba-5fce-4b1a-92a2-04d5fd6c25e4/Viewpoint-Brexit.pdf

Last edited:
Soldato
Only the far right want referendums? :confused: :confused:

What part of the spectrum does Le Penn and Wilders occupy for example?

Oh so because it has been around for 40 years and Turkey, Croatia, Serbia and Kosovo wants to join it's all going well? Why do you think those countries would like to join?

You mean they want to join because it is unstable and going to crash leaving them all in an economic mess?

Think the vast majority in Southern Europe would disagree that the EU is going well. A long with majority of the UK (who could be bothered to vote).

You are confusing the problems caused by the bankers worldwide and the EU. Along with other countries they are still struggling to overcome the problems. The EU like the UK does not have a magic wand to solve all the problems instantly.

Last edited:

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
I hate what I've become. I've become a massive sceptic about the real driving force behind the election and what it was meant to be. I generally want to believe that most politicians, regardless of their ideals, follow them because they are what they believe to be the best thing for the country.

For this? I'm not sure.

Gove and Boris are backtracking so heavily it sounds more and more like we will never enact article 50. I don't think they expected, nor wanted to win. I feel like this is an enormous powerplay where they looked for a narrow remain win to undermine current conservative leadership and take hold, never having to activate article 50. They signed the petition for cameron to stay, trying to make him be the one to enact it if god forbid, leave actually won, and that failed. Cameron has passed a 'poison chalice' as many have said, to the next leader.

Enact article 50, commit economic and political suicide. Don't enact it, commit political suicide. Both massively destabilise the country and there's no 'win' anywhere for the people who really are impacted by this. We're going to stay in the EEA. We're going to have freedom of movement. We're going to have single market access. The only question is whether Boris and co have the dignity to shoot down the idea entirely and stay as a full EU member - EEA membership gives us less control, more (relative) fees, and nigh on everything leave fought for (*some* law control excluded).

The person that loses, in an EEA situation, is a person in an area where there are heavy EU rebates - ie, a hell of a lot of the areas which voted leave. This doesn't impact the 'big' remain demographic - educated, mid-high earners in cities. It has zero imapct on them. It hits Cornwall, it hits Wales.

The alternative? Enact article 50, throw the country into disarray for years to come, screw *everybody*.

Article 50 won't happen. Is there anywhere I can bet on this? I'm willing to put a lot down.

Soldato
Caporegime
Article 50 won't happen. Is there anywhere I can bet on this? I'm willing to put a lot down.

I might put 20 on, but I was convinced that leave wouldn't win as well, and look how that turned out.

I am really keen to, esp as my local MP is a Remain on, and Winchester voted to Remain (60%+). Any idea what exactly to write i.e. terminology, wording, etc?

"HELP US" scrawled in blood.

Soldato
Have you experienced racism first hand, directed at you? Is so you should be ashamed.

The crippling inability to do absolutely **** all about the colour of your skin or your country of origin? To have to accept that you will get abuse at any time from some racist ****tard over something you can do absolutely nothing about? More so now that this minority have been given a platform they feel it is acceptable to continue in greater numbers.

That some ***** thinks its acceptable to abuse (violently or otherwise) another person based on nothing other than small minded prejudice is acceptable to you? In fact the only reason they aren't abusing themselves is because they were 'lucky' enough to be born into a different race or are a different colour? Why is it their god-given right to have something just because they popped out of their mother's vagina at a particular place on the globe of a particular race or colour?

Your solution to this problem is to tell people who experience this discrimination is to suggest they should leave? Ask them why they bother putting up with the hatred? As if they're the problem?

Jesus Christ.

Did you not quote my second sentence in order to make a fuss about nothing?

If it's that bad, and you know you cannot change it, then yes, it would be wiser to relocate. Trying to go against the tide is fruitless and will only serve to make your life miserable.

Once again, if it is so bad (with racism at every turn), why have you chosen to settle here rather than anywhere less so?

I experience casual "racism" indirectly quite often, with people holding the bizarre belief that the German people were all Nazi's etc, but no I cannot claim to be physically abused etc (however I guarantee that you are exagerrating matters here).

Last edited:
Soldato
I am really keen to, esp as my local MP is a Remain on, and Winchester voted to Remain (60%+). Any idea what exactly to write i.e. terminology, wording, etc?

It's a good idea.

Our Tory MP, Neil Carmichael, campaigned for Remain, and we in Stroud voted remain (55%). Might contact him.

Start with some twitter messages. A letter to their constituency office would probably carry more weight, though. Don't worry about terminology or style.

Caporegime

If it's that bad, and you know you cannot change it, then yes, it would be wiser to relocate. Trying to go against the tide is fruitless and will only serve to make your life miserable.

Once again, if it is so bad (with racism at every turn), why have you chosen to settle here rather than anywhere less so?

Please tell me you are not being serious? :confused:

I thought it would be impossible for someone to write something more stupid in the thread than what has already been written... But it seems I was wrong!

What you are essentially saying is "if you don't like racism, bugger off to another country" Outstanding... Absolutely outstanding.

Permabanned

Are you actually serious? :confused:

Caporegime
I hate what I've become. I've become a massive sceptic about the real driving force behind the election and what it was meant to be. I generally want to believe that most politicians, regardless of their ideals, follow them because they are what they believe to be the best thing for the country.

For this? I'm not sure.

Gove and Boris are backtracking so heavily it sounds more and more like we will never enact article 50. I don't think they expected, nor wanted to win. I feel like this is an enormous powerplay where they looked for a narrow remain win to undermine current conservative leadership and take hold, never having to activate article 50. They signed the petition for cameron to stay, trying to make him be the one to enact it if god forbid, leave actually won, and that failed. Cameron has passed a 'poison chalice' as many have said, to the next leader.

Enact article 50, commit economic and political suicide. Don't enact it, commit political suicide. Both massively destabilise the country and there's no 'win' anywhere for the people who really are impacted by this. We're going to stay in the EEA. We're going to have freedom of movement. We're going to have single market access. The only question is whether Boris and co have the dignity to shoot down the idea entirely and stay as a full EU member - EEA membership gives us less control, more (relative) fees, and nigh on everything leave fought for (*some* law control excluded).

The person that loses, in an EEA situation, is a person in an area where there are heavy EU rebates - ie, a hell of a lot of the areas which voted leave. This doesn't impact the 'big' remain demographic - educated, mid-high earners in cities. It has zero imapct on them. It hits Cornwall, it hits Wales.

The alternative? Enact article 50, throw the country into disarray for years to come, screw *everybody*.

Even Boris own family said he wasn't really anti-eu

Politicking at it's worse.

Soldato

Please tell me this is a joke.

Man of Honour
OP
Short term loss as a consequence was said many times.

I only ever saw it said by the remain campaign as a reason not to leave.
I think you have the wrong person.

No, it was you I was speaking with. I'm not sure which bit of my post was unclear though?
I voted in and I think we're in for a really tough time for the foreseeable future.

I have a problem with the leavers complaining that the remainers are voicing their worry for our future only for the fact that all the brexiters (in this thread included) are just saying "we'll be fine, don't worry" without giving anything at all to back it up.

I do agree, however, that we buckle down and figure this out together. We have to accept that we are leaving and look to the future (no matter how bad it looks).

We don't necessarily have to live with the decision made within the referendum. I'm not talking about a second referendum which I disagreed with from the start, but if the picture continues getting worse between now and the next PM coming in then we should revisit.
Just a question to remainers mostly because I'm interested in their motivations.

Did you vote remain because you are happy with the way things are right now, or are you happy with the future course of more EU policy, integration leading to the EU superstate?

What is your ideal vision of Europe?

I voted remain based on my opinion that in a binary decision as we were given it was by far the better option.
Close thread :)

Why? :confused: This thread is nothing to do with a 2nd referendum. If you think it is then you haven't been listening.
Osborne came out today and said they were fully prepared for what has happened, if Cameron doesn't have a solid timeline of events planned out then that's not Leave's fault, it's his as Prime Minister.

Again, why would he plan for an eventuality he didn't want and wasn't campaigning for? He wanted in. Boris and Co. wanted out, why aren't you caling them for their plan?

Associate
Just a question to remainers mostly because I'm interested in their motivations.

Did you vote remain because you are happy with the way things are right now, or are you happy with the future course of more EU policy, integration leading to the EU superstate?

What is your ideal vision of Europe?

I am happy with EU experiment so far and I do support further European integration. I find concepts like “nation” or “state” bizarre. I’d rather have Europe of Regions under "superstate" umbrella.

Soldato

I don't recall your second sentence being there when I quoted you. Makes no odds.

Your attitude is appalling; I'm actually embarrassed for you.

What you are saying is "if you don't like being a victim of racism, dump your life and leave the country because that's what Britain is now"

And FYI I'm British born and have not seen anything like this since around 20+ years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom