Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Seems both Labour and Tories are going to go into full meltdown. Ordinarily this might be entertaining, but right now we need strong leadership.

By the way, has George Osborne been spotted yet? Apparently he's not been spotted in public since the result. Perhaps we need a Finding George mission.

He's in a basement somewhere keeping the Columbian export markets buoyant.

Soldato
True, but they could have done a far better job of explaining the importance of the EU, and done more to appease people who had a problem with it.

All they did was stand there attempting to shout down the Leave campaign and call them liars, without providing many counter arguments. It was frustrating to watch.

O I quite agree. It was painful to watch. The one who were getting cheered the most for their debates seemed to be the ones who were the most obnoxious.

Despite voting remain I hated the campaign.

I would have preferred to see "let me tell you why you're wrong X" not interrupting the opposition and sound bites that if they irritated me certainly irritated the opposition.

However I would have expected leave to already be stating what's next. That they haven't yet has lead to an awful lot of this sourness between the sides and does seem to suggest they haven't yet got a plan.

Soldato
Under FPTP all you need is solid vote concentration in each core constituency and some swings where you're number 2. Job done. Other than the South West, hard to see where the core base for the LDs would come from though.

Soldato
Yes, great manifesto. Elect us and we'll ignore what you instructed us to do.

That is ALL they have to have in their manifesto.

A GE following this referendum will be de facto a second referendum and the only issue is the EU membership.

Who gets government is almost irrelevant, it's not about creating miracles its about steering the country with as many advisers as you want to do the thinking for you.

Soldato
Under FPTP all you need is solid vote concentration in each core constituency and some swings where you're number 2. Job done. Other than the South West, hard to see where the core base for the LDs would come from though.

If there's a snap election and the Tories campaign on a Brexit 'Article 50' platform, there's potentially a lot of votes up for grabs for the Lib Dems.

Likewise, if Labour chose to fight an election based on a pro-EU stance it would be reasonable to expect UKIP to make some gains.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
His argument isn't the strongest TBH, but it's worrying that you can't see the distinction he is trying to make.

Politicians in the UK don't have to take the views of 27 other countries into account when making decisions, they can (theoretically) do what is best for the UK.

I get that, but that's exactly the problem for many of the areas voting out. Wales, Yorkshire and Cornwall received money directly from the EU but feel alienated from London.

What value is there for these areas in an out vote?
it does not nor would i condone it do you?

I don't understand your response. You were saying that unelected people in the Brussells making decisions was the problem, I was merely stating that there are unelected people in the UK doing the same. Their desk is just in a different location. If you don't think that's right, then I missed your point somewhere?

Associate
Lib dems saying they'll keep us in the EU if you vote for them in the next GE.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...emocrats-live-policy-stay-leave-a7103186.html
So a manifesto pledge to ignore the will of the majority?
If he doesn't get the vote of no confidence he aspires to then what?
Application to the EU, cap in hand?

Could be interesting, will they pick up more votes from disgruntled remain voters or lose more votes for contempt of the electorate? Surely voters must see the inherent issues in giving a party the thumbs up to ignore the electorate, even if they are displeased with a given result?
Will they also change their party name? Liberal Democratsifyouagreewithus :p

Soldato
So a manifesto pledge to ignore the will of the majority?
If he doesn't get the vote of no confidence he aspires to then what?
Application to the EU, cap in hand?

Could be interesting, will they pick up more votes from disgruntled remain voters or lose more votes for contempt of the electorate? Surely voters must see the inherent issues in giving a party the thumbs up to ignore the electorate, even if they are displeased with a given result?
Will they also change their party name? Liberal Democratsifyouagreewithus :p

Going to be a **** show if that happens. I can see another libcon government but not working together. Could drag this out for many more years.

Soldato
If there's a snap election and the Tories campaign on a Brexit 'Article 50' platform, there's potentially a lot of votes up for grabs for the Lib Dems.

Probably would need a pact with other pro-Remain parties for them to materialise in such a hypothetical election, otherwise there will be the regular split and some UKIP shenans trying to get in on the side in Essex and the like, also campaigning on 'OUT OUT OUT'. Pro-remain Tories cannot just stand aside either, as their local associations are free to pick another pre-approved candidate who won't go against Article 50.

Plus their war chest is depleted. Without cash, a loss is almost inevitable.

Soldato
O I quite agree. It was painful to watch. The one who were getting cheered the most for their debates seemed to be the ones who were the most obnoxious.

Despite voting remain I hated the campaign.

I would have preferred to see "let me tell you why you're wrong X" not interrupting the opposition and sound bites that if they irritated me certainly irritated the opposition.

However I would have expected leave to already be stating what's next. That they haven't yet has lead to an awful lot of this sourness between the sides and does seem to suggest they haven't yet got a plan.

Same. No word of a lie, ive sat with folk tonight watching something on brexit and heard prople say "I wish we had known that before Thursday". I'm no expert on it at all but I knew enough to know I needed to know more about before Thursdays so did my own research about what we currently had, what we could potentially have, Norway and Switzerland etc etc.

There was virtually no real information, facts or debates before though, just a load of monkeys throwing faeces at each other.

Associate
What's next? Well, nothing like what a good ole civil war can't fix... Russia will be happy to guarantee a supply of dated rifles and armament to start the fire...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom