Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
in what way - he's never been against immigration, what do you believe he specifically has backtracked on?

I mean backtracking generally on what the leave campaign campaigned for.

Sounds like we are going to be part of the EU lite just with none of the good stuff ( apart from free trade).

Man of Honour
yet to be seen... we knew it was coming..

we're not going through a financial crisis here, there is simply uncertainty and that is being reflected in the markets, we've got our own free floating currency and it is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing

it it Italy, Portugal and Greece that have seen yields increase recently... we've seen yields decrease

European stock markets including ours are taking a hit, continental ones more so than us as our equities are denominated in GBP which has been devalued anyway and money is flowing into UK gilts

it is a big event, it serves as a shock to the market and the result isn't exactly unexpected

it isn't the end of the world though and nor is it 2008

How dare you be rational and sensible in this thread.

Don't you know these people love to be all doom and gloom?

Soldato
not yet it hasn't, in fact it has been the opposite for the past couple of days

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/rates-bonds/government-bonds/uk

If you see lower yields as cheaper borrowing I think you are confusing bonds with loans, it's not like your variable rate mortgage just went from 2% to 1%.

I believe the cost of borrowing (the interest/coupon) is fixed, the yield refers to the relationship between the interest and the price the bonds are being traded at (which is why the bond yield can change while there are no new issues).

Prices can rise due to flight from riskier assets (stocks) or in anticipation of a drop in interest rates. Not sure which is the driver here, but for sure if you want some gbp assets gilts are a safer bet than stocks right now!

Soldato
Nice, stocks down, all those idiots who voted Brexit now have their pensions down. Would not want to be buying a house in the uk right now.

behave. Please cease this sort of behaviour.

Caporegime
Nice, stocks down, all those idiots who voted Brexit now have their pensions down. Would not want to be buying a house in the uk right now.

Stocks down, pension down, pounds down, credit rating down.

I'm normally quite an optimistic person but somebody please show me the positive in all this?

You can say sovereignty but I never feel repressed before all this, never felt any pressure from Europe nor had my freedom infringed for being in the EU. Seriously what is the point?

Soldato
Stocks down, pension down, pounds down, credit rating down.

I'm normally quite an optimistic person but somebody please show me the positive in all this?

You can say sovereignty but I never feel repressed before all this, never felt any pressure from Europe nor had my freedom infringed for being in the EU. Seriously what is the point?

Which major decisions has the parliament passed since the vote? It's a total gridlock. :D Take back control and... dither? And we aren't into the worst of it yet.

Caporegime

Blame the idiots acting like the sky is falling down. Most people I know offloaded their shares prior to last week and lots bought shares back again today for 30+ percent off today. It will inevitably recover.

The house price doesn't bother me either. If mine loses 50% of it's value, so what. So does anything I will buy or more if I'm trading up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom