Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I genuinely am struggling to see any positives, I want to understand the leave voters but I just can't see it?? It seems that it just turned a reasonably stable, growing country into a complete mess that the whole world is laughing at! I have people messaging me online with pictures of titanic.

Caporegime
If you see lower yields as cheaper borrowing I think you are confusing bonds with loans, it's not like your mortgage just went from 2% to 1%.

I believe the cost of borrowing (the interest/coupon) is fixed, the yield refers to the relationship between the interest and the price the bonds are being traded at (which is why the bond yield can change while there are no new issues).

You're a bit confused, the coupon is fixed the cost of borrowing for the UK govt most certainly is not fixed... you're looking at the secondary market there, the price rising is a reflection of demand for gilts. The primary market for UK gilts uses an auction process. If the price goes up... then the yield goes down ergo the cost of borrowing goes down.

Permabanned
Looking on the daily mail, readers are angry at david cameron for not having a plan.

Whilst I somewhat agree, this is something I would have asked the leave campaign before. I would have asked - how are we going to spend that £350 million when the economy takes a hit. How are we going to afford much when our credit rating takes a hit. How are we going to help those deprived areas of the uk when we are bailing out our economy.

Why have none of the leave voters asked this questions to their campaign leaders??!

Associate
Looking on the daily mail, readers are angry at david cameron for not having a plan.
Whilst I somewhat agree, this is something I would have asked the leave campaign before. I would have asked - how are we going to spend that £350 million when the economy takes a hit. How are we going to afford much when our credit rating takes a hit. How are we going to help those deprived areas of the uk when we are bailing out our economy.
Why have none of the leave voters asked this questions to there campaign leaders??!
It's a little bit like if remain had won blaming Boris and Gove for not having a plan. :D

Associate
but Boris decided to join the Leave campaign purely out of political ambition.

This is a disaster created, gift-wrapped, and delivered, by the Tories.

....and now politicians responsible for this are running away.

I must say that as a Londoner I absolutely despise Boris Johnson. He is a self centered, ego maniac and lunatic who cares very little about London and this country. One day he was the Major of London. An amazing, buzzing, diverse, cosmopolitan city that's open to everyone. Next day he did 180 turn supporting brexit. He backstabbed London and its people. I don't have much respect for majority of politicians but Boris is off the charts.

This referendum is a perfect example of why the public should not be given decision making (except in general and local elections). Majority of people are just not qualified or intelligent enough to make these decisions. It's goverment's job. The whole campaign was seriously undermining voter's intelligence. Ironically, most people who voted for brexit will not live long enough to see how damaging their vote was. What a mess.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know, hence why I'm still concerned. Article 50 hasn't been invoked yet!

The grass is not always greener on the other side!

My bricking moment will come if Cameron goes to the Council meeting, and him turning up is interpreted as communicating our desire to leave, with the clock starting. Article 50 is fairly vague, and although we can fight it at the ECJ (haha), the pressure is on for us to move on. Great.

Permabanned

Why have none of the leave voters asked this questions to there campaign leaders??!

Associate

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Don't give a crap about the political chaos right now but it's the economical chaos that bothers me and it should to you as well.

Why because you think there will never ever be another downturn?

This only the beginning at least one more euro country will follow :)

Soldato
I know, hence why I'm still concerned. Article 50 hasn't been invoked yet!

The grass is not always greener on the other side!

I'm pretty sure it won't be. The general election vote is going to blow any leave mp out of the water. I wouldn't be surprised also to see it blocked in parliament. The mp is going down whether they do or they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom