Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
What is important now is for the remain voters to stop their winging and accept democracy has been served whether they like it or not. Next we all need to pull together to support the government in the upcoming exit negotiations.

What on earth are you gibbering about? Why should I support a government I didn't vote for, enacting an instruction I voted against?

I absolutely accept that democracy has spoken and we should now leave the EU. I do not accept that I should suddenly be happy about it, shut up about the idiocy of that decision, or start supporting a government I've always opposed. That's not how democracy works.

Soldato
Yesterday's drop in the FTSE and pound was mainly caused by the remain campaigns negative assessment of the UK being out of the EU but thankfully the markets soon rallied round and started to reverse the downfall. From what i have read and heard the remain campaigners are doing more damage to the UK than the leave decision!

But this is the thing... what you've decided in the above quote is so misguided. The drop on sterling and the various exchanges has very little to do with British people (Remainers or Leavers), it's to do with how the rest of the world views our economy and acting accordingly. This is how US, Asian, Australian, European, LatAm and African investors regard our undermined economuy, and trading as such. The remainer's outlook has nothing to do with how markets reacted. The markets reacted because institutional investors and speculators realised that the next 24 months in the UK'c economy will be a total bloodbath, and they exited stage left.

Soldato
I can only take solace knowing that the core of the leave voters will be the very ones that will be most affected when we end up with a right wing Conservative party leading the country and massively tightened purse strings

ho hum

Really? They may have brought down the EU - I don't think any govt is going to be complacent about their vote in future.

Soldato
Probably, though Sturgeon is currently trying to talk with the EU I'd imagine in order to try and secure a position due to the UK's position rather than reapply as a new application. How that will play out is anyone's guess, though it does raise questions.

Will Scotland have to apply as a new applicant?
Will they have to accept the Euro? Schengen?
Will they be have to worry about a current member's veto if applying as a new applicant? (This could get messy if divorced from the UK and vetoed by Spain etc).

I can't see the EU doing that somehow, it would be meddling with internal politics of a nation. The Only way I see it happening is for Scotland to apply as an independent country (this does mean the Euro is a given too though)

Nate

Associate
So you dont disagree with the figures just my interpretation of them. Maybe you could have said that originally without the disrespectful comment.

Your interpretation makes no sense though. I'd even argue that the other side of it is even more compelling: only about 36% of the voting public voted to leave the EU and yet we're leaving. About 64% could be said to be perfectly happy with how things are.

Soldato
I can only take solace knowing that the core of the leave voters will be the very ones that will be most affected when we end up with a right wing Conservative party leading the country and massively tightened purse strings

ho hum

Yeah and next time someone like farage rallies them up they'll **** you again. You shouldn't take solace in the fact they are angry. You should be angry that it's been allowed to get this bad.

I have to say having heard some of the statements our so called EU "partners" are making that it is clear they never liked or respected the UK. Luckily we now know how they really feel about us.

We just voted to leave the EU, were you expecting them to go gift shopping for us? If I was in their shoes I would take every advantage of the UK that I could. Force the UK's hand on Article 50 and have a very smug smile on my face when it came to trade negotiations.

We are in a very poor position at this moment and will be very reliant on London's financial influence in the coming deals. The worry is for such EU business' with UK offices/factories. They are looking very uncertain at this time and again will be reliant on future deals. Some might well just start making plans now regardless of deals that may be 2 years away.

One other thing, as someone else has noted many people (every one that I heard discuss EU and voted to leave) did so solely on the basis of EU free movement ('mmigrants). I can imagine many very unhappy faces when that becomes a part of the trade negotiations!

Associate
What on earth are you gibbering about? Why should I support a government I didn't vote for, enacting an instruction I voted against?

I absolutely accept that democracy has spoken and we should now leave the EU. I do not accept that I should suddenly be happy about it, shut up about the idiocy of that decision, or start supporting a government I've always opposed. That's not how democracy works.

God-damn right!

Caporegime
It's absolutely astonishing that we haven't heard from Osborne yet. He's still the chancellor for goodness sake and the UK's economy has just taken a massive hit. Like Carney he should have been out there making a statement to do what he can to settle the markets.

As for predictions: I expect this quarter's GDP figures to show a contraction - due to the uncertainty of the Brexit campaign - but the key thing is next quarter's results. I think we'll see between a 1% and 2% contraction and us officially in a new recession. Then the big question is who the next chancellor is, we need someone who is willing to bin austerity and invest in the economy. The next two to three years are going to be a rough time.

Soldato
Yeah and next time someone like farage rallies them up they'll **** you again. You shouldn't take solace in the fact they are angry. You should be angry that it's been allowed to get this bad.

I can see this point - don't get me wrong - policy has been wrong INTERNALLY for a while but voting against the EU will not help it will just make things far far worse

Associate
Your interpretation makes no sense though. I'd even argue that the other side of it is even more compelling: only about 36% of the voting public voted to leave the EU and yet we're leaving. About 64% could be said to be perfectly happy with how things are.

I agree that is another interpretation of the voters. But we weren't voting for things as they are as the EU was moving towards further unification.

Associate
Really? They may have brought down the EU - I don't think any govt is going to be complacent about their vote in future.

You keep reiterating the point that this is going to bring down the EU.

Like a David vs Goliath moment.

I can't believe you're so naive...

Caporegime
I'd like to kindly and softly remind people complaining about why the vote succeeded.

We do indeed live in a democracy, you all had decades to stop this by voting in parties with actual vision, instead you voted for divisors.

You cannot blame leave without ultimately blaming yourself.

Soldato
Of course. It's not as if they wouldn't have a mandate. I'd argue the opposite, you'd have to have serious balls not to invoke Article 50.;)

You don't seem to get the toxic part.

There is no positive future to be seen especially internationally (which is very relevant) by leaving the EU.

So while David Cameron was this massive ****** by gambling something this important on the whim of the people his successor is going to have to pull the plug on the UK themselves in full knowledge that they've volunteered to drive a train wreck.

It really comes to something when the happy voices in the international crowd are Iran, Russia and that **** wit Trump.

Everyone, absolutely everyone is questioning in various languages and accents the intelligence of the British population.

I could do with someone replying with something to put a good spin on the result and nationalism doesn't sell it for me.

I was feeling more proud to be British right up until I realised more than half the voters had voted to leave. I had this foolish notion that people were aware how serious it was.

Caporegime
We would increasingly have been the thorn in the side of the EU project had we stayed.

As they pushed for ever close union, we would have vetoed or at the least opted out.

This way we can do what we our politicians want, and the EU can do what they their politicians want.

Caporegime
I think the EU are going to use the fact that Scotland want in.

They will invite Scotland in. As a result there will be a second referendum but this time it will be the destruction of the U.K. at stake.

We will vote remain.

Good.

Have to be a little careful there as not all of Scotland want in and not all those who do want separation from the UK. As A Scot and having witnessed the leave/remain vote 2 years ago, I'm not sure that too many Scots actually care about the destruction of the UK or otherwise.

My take is that the EU want the UK gone and quickly - we did vote for that after all so it's not unreasonable to expect that not to be a prolonged situation.

There will be no second chance.

Soldato
You don't seem to get the toxic part.

There is no positive future to be seen especially internationally (which is very relevant) by leaving the EU.

So while David Cameron was this massive ****** by gambling something this important on the whim of the people his successor is going to have to pull the plug on the UK themselves in full knowledge that they've volunteered to drive a train wreck.

It really comes to something when the happy voices in the international crowd are Iran, Russia and that **** wit Trump.

Everyone, absolutely everyone is questioning in various languages and accents the intelligence of the British population.

I could do with someone replying with something to put a good spin on the result and nationalism doesn't sell it for me.

I was feeling more proud to be British right up until I realised more than half the voters had voted to leave. I had this foolish notion that people were aware how serious it was.

I actually feel embarrassed to be British atm

if it was easier (jobs, house, kids etc) I'd move out in an instant

Associate
I can't see the EU doing that somehow, it would be meddling with internal politics of a nation. The Only way I see it happening is for Scotland to apply as an independent country (this does mean the Euro is a given too though)

Nate

I don't see it happening either, however I can see Sturgeon trying her best to bypass the new applicant process or garner some assurances, as it may not be as palatable to some voters in the case of an independence referendum to hope that they will find an EU spot following an exit from the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom