Bring on brexit!

OcUK Staff
Wow, I was hoping I would be wrong but looks like I wasn't. So looks like the used sports car market will go sky high at some point, hold on to your tasty motors until this kicks in then?

No real plans to sell any of them until past then anyway, of course I'd happily take 10k for Clio, 50k for M3, 100k for Aston and 200k for 458. :D
I doubt the above will happen by the way, not be bad though, sell the house and have a nice retirement fund. :D

Soldato
Wow, I was hoping I would be wrong but looks like I wasn't. So looks like the used sports car market will go sky high at some point, hold on to your tasty motors until this kicks in then?

Some are already holding their value pretty well.

Anything sporty and manual, without these nannies is going to be worth loads by 2040 I bet.

If they are going to force more and more of these things on us, I'm just buying a bike :D

Last edited:
No real plans to sell any of them until past then anyway, of course I'd happily take 10k for Clio, 50k for M3, 100k for Aston and 200k for 458. :D
I doubt the above will happen by the way, not be bad though, sell the house and have a nice retirement fund. :D

I think it will happen at some point if all this limiting nonsense comes into play but we won't see the rises for a good few years yet. I don't think what you have estimated above will be far from the truth to be honest.

Soldato
Yep, even my paltry 350z if I were to sell, would probably get back close to what I paid for it 2 years ago but I am talking big price hikes if and when this happens.

I wouldn't get too excited, they could easily make black box insurance mandatory meaning while you could go over the limit you could also be punished for it.

I was forced to drive a company with all this tracking rubbish and it sucks any enjoyment out of driving, sure you can buy a car with a quick 0-60 time but I doubt your insurance company will like you launching it.

Associate
Our s-max has it already. Basically press a button and it will limit you to the speed limit of the road. It does get it wrong occasionally but you can deactivate it (it’s deactivated on start) and also if you floor the accelerator it will go faster as well. Sometimes it’s useful where there are lots of speed cameras etc.

I wouldn't get too excited, they could easily make black box insurance mandatory meaning while you could go over the limit you could also be punished for it.

I was forced to drive a company with all this tracking rubbish and it sucks any enjoyment out of driving, sure you can buy a car with a quick 0-60 time but I doubt your insurance company will like you launching it.

Nah, I have no reason to get excited, this is crap news for anyone remotely interested in cars and just another nail in the petrol heads coffins.
Further reading on this though it does seem like there will be a lot of obstacles to get past before it is fully implemented.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I haven't read much on this so if I am misunderstanding then feel free to correct me.
If they fit speed limiters to all cars going forwards will this be the end of road going super cars? M division say bye-bye? AMG? Etc etc. Who would want to buy a Ferrari for example that can't go over the speed limit?
This could be the reason this never gets implemented in its current form. Manufactures fight back!!

Man of Honour
This could be the reason this never gets implemented in its current form. Manufactures fight back!!

Eh by that time society will be completely cucked and smiling serenely at the piped in pre-recorded revving engine noises as they sit there drooling at 20mph.

Caporegime
I haven't read much on this so if I am misunderstanding then feel free to correct me.
If they fit speed limiters to all cars going forwards will this be the end of road going super cars? M division say bye-bye? AMG? Etc etc. Who would want to buy a Ferrari for example that can't go over the speed limit?

Shouldn't be going over the speed limit in the first place tbh... you can still take the thing to a track.

Associate
Would this penalise the people doing 45 - 50 in a nsl....Whole thing seems like a pipe dream tbh. Imagine the effects on the motoring industry, direct and indirect.

No need for any decent engines or different cars. People who make the engines laid off, people that make the parts for those engines laid off etc as no demand. Tyre companies loose loads of business as no demand for decent tyres etc. Basically it's an authoritarian, dystopian nightmare.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seriously though, speeding on public roads is disgraceful and this new gadget will be a great thing.

Why?

Of all the negative driving traits, do you really rank speeding (in any form, including 80mph on a deserted motorway in clear conditions, heaven forbid) at the top?

Yeah, doing 60 in a 30 is rather cretinous but we're not talking about just that.

Soldato
Why?

Of all the negative driving traits, do you really rank speeding (in any form, including 80mph on a deserted motorway in clear conditions, heaven forbid) at the top?

Yeah, doing 60 in a 30 is rather cretinous but we're not talking about just that.

It's illegal for a reason, ask the guys who have to scrape people off the road with a shovel.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
A point about speeding is that it's a deliberate intent to flaunt the law. Unfortunately, the same people who seem to think it's arbitrary, then start to consider other parts of the road laws to be arbitrary, at which point you have utter chaos on the roads.

Soldato
A point about speeding is that it's a deliberate intent to flaunt the law. Unfortunately, the same people who seem to think it's arbitrary, then start to consider other parts of the road laws to be arbitrary, at which point you have utter chaos on the roads.

I only consider some 60 and 70 roads a bit unnecessary. I still indicate, give way, park in one normal parking space, stop at red lights, never ever use my phone and don't do anything else illegal except sometimes do 10mph over the limit in 60 and 70 zones.

Soldato
Doing 75 in a 70 means people have to be scraped off the road?

Modern cars and (decently maintained) roads are easily capable of 85mph (around what the speed limit is on the continent) so why is 75 suddenly so bad?

The law is in place, simple as that. To be honest, @Mr_Sukebe explains it perfectly. Just because you think it's ok, that doesn't mean it's ok. The law dictates what is acceptable.

Soldato
When you go over 70mph in a freighted truck things start to feel unnervingly ~"floaty".

As Scania states... Current tyre technologies & brake compounds aint nowhere near good enough for sustained high speed (When freighted heavy).
When it's been raining and I've just pulled into the yard after returning from Liverpool (or Lymm) and gone via A50 ..Through Kegworth to Melton & Oakham the trailer brakes are actually smoking & stinky when I pull up to the fuel bowser !
You can also see the dampness evaporating from the tyres whilst sitting there refueling

Back
Top Bottom